What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concept: LU Forum run Supercoach

Someone

Bench
hello ladies and gentleman, im just going to run an early idea off everyone and see if it gets any interest whatsoever.

The influence behind the idea is definitely Supercoach, however my pet hate is the constant changing and updating of squads, manipulating the rise and fall of players like stocks and the fact by round 20 every team looks identical. In saying that il still be playing it this year.

The idea behind this game:

You draft and negoaite a team with other forum members.
You name your strongest side every week before kickoff.
you are stuck with the same 25 players all year.
You vs other forum members in a draw, probably once to make it fair.
A finals series will be played.
Scoring comes from points scored only.

PLEASE NOTE: everything in here im happy to debate or change.

Draft

The idea behind the draft is to spread the players as evenly as possibly, remember players can only play for one team. This will be done by creating a DRAFT thread in February, or earlier if we feel we need the time, and the 16 (or however many people are interested) negotiate prices on players.

Players start of with a 7.5 Million dollar salary cap.

Players can only make bids for players by the thousands , e.g 340k, 341k. not $340,600

After a hat draw (done by me, or whoever wants to run this), whoever draws one gets to pick a side of 25 with their salary cap. They don't have to use all their cap if they don't want to, but it would be smart to. This is done from number 1 to 16 in order. You must put a price that you are paying them next to their name all while staying inside your salary cap.

players must be picked in traditional positions, or an argument made for secondary positions when picking your first 13 players. the bench must hold at least 2 forwards. the remaining 8 players must consist of 4 forwards and 4 backs to cover for any injuries in different positions. If you have a hooker injured and don't have a backup hooker you must play a man down.

After No.1 has picked a team, Its no.2's go.

No.2 can name a completely different side or pick some players that number 1 has picked. I.e, if No.1 as picked Cam Smith and put a price of 600k on him, No.2 steals him by putting 700k on him. Highest bidder always wins.

This is done for every 16 players.

After all 16 teams have named, we go around again. We do this because by now the earlier teams are probably looking slim after having their players picked off. However, on rd2 of draft, after every team has updated their squad, the teams 'finalise' 5 players and lock them in. These 5 players must not exceed a total salary of 1.5 Mil to prevent players from locking down all their stars in the first round of lockdown.

Same for rd3 (10 players), rd4(15 players), rd5 (20 players).

Rd6 of draft will be the last five players at unlimited salary, just incase you have locked down players in previous rounds and not used up all 1.5 mil, as 1.5mil times 5 equals your 7.5 million salary cap.

by the end of this, ideally everyone should have a useable team.

Your are stuck with these 25 players all year, but can use all your 25 man squad to play. Before kickoff ach round, a team of 17 must be named, or it is assumed you have not changed from last round.

Scoring

Scoring is done by points scored by tries, goal kicks and field goals only.

1-7 (fullback to Halfback) are normal rates. (4 for try, 2 for goal kick, 1 for field goal)

8-13 (prop to lock) are double points, excluding goals (8 for tries, 2 for goals, 2 for field goals)

13-17 (bench) are half points, excluding field goals (2 for tries, 1 for goals, 1 for field goals)

Captains are times 3, Vice captains are times 2.

Schedule:

The schedule will follow closely to supercoaches format, with a final series being played from rd22-rd26. the origin period is debatable, although im thinking just a break during this period. if theres plenty of interest il have a closer look at the draw and bye times work a draw up around that.

The ladder will replicate the NRL's. 2 points for a win, for and against is counted. 1 point for draw, 0 for loss.

Reasons to play:

Will be fun

You could just go through the draft, name and team and not change it all year if you got sick of worrying about it.

Will be more random than supercoach.

literally any feedback is welcome.

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
I would probably spend over 2 hours a week on NRL fantasy looking at players (and then have it up during all 7 matches for live scoring) but I don't really see the value in this. Seems complicated, would take ages to set up and not a fan of the scoring.

However, it's obvious you have spent a lot of time thinking about this so hopefully you get a fair few takers. Best of luck.

Someone

Bench
However, it's obvious you have spent a lot of time thinking about this so hopefully you get a fair few takers. Best of luck.

Not really, only today did I think of this. I enjoy supercoach as much as the next guy but im not really a massive fan of their secretive and somewhat random scoring system either.

I think once people invested in it and got through the draft it would be fairly easy and a quick process of submitting your team every round.

thanks for the feedback!