What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

Vic Mackey

Referee
Mate, my team would look something like

1. Trbojevic
2. Taufua
3. Walker
4. Kelly
5. Wright
6. Green
7. DCE
8. Lussick
9. Kourisau
10. Fonua-Blake
11. Taupau
12. Lawrence
13. Trbojevic

14. Hastings
15. Meehan
16. Sironen
17. Perrett

Bit of talent there and you never know what can happen but I can't see that challenging for the 8. Probably the worst front row rotation in the comp.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Bit of talent there and you never know what can happen but I can't see that challenging for the 8. Probably the worst front row rotation in the comp.

Its definitely a transition year.

A lot depends on how Meehan comes on and other young blokes like Hopoate and Fonua Blake.

Realistically I see somewhere from 6 to 12 next season.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
You happy with that team ?
Sure as shit, I'm not.

The centres are terrible. I'm no fan of Walker, I think the guy is a a bit soft in D, and careless in attack. He can put on some good moves, but if Snake plays FB, Tom will be wasted outside Walker. And then the depth issues??? Taufua needs to move to the bench as an impact forward. They are determined to move Lawrence on too. Which is equally as insane as letting parcell jump ship. Jake will end up back at prop at this rate after we drop an injury or two up front. To be honest, I'd actually prefer that too. Add that the goal kicking, change in captain, issues with coaching and management... 2017 could well be a lot worse that 2015-6.

I hope I'm completely wrong, I doubt it though. Maybe the JV @ NSW Cup might unearth some talent. God knows we need something.

I can't see things improving anytime soon. One major clean out last year was one thing, a second this year is an indication things are not right. I can't see Barrett lasting the season. A slow start and he will probably be gone mid season. Cleary is who I would have wanted as coach. Unless you are mates with Fulton or the Penn clan, you have no chance at the boys club that Manly have turned into.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Its definitely a transition year.

A lot depends on how Meehan comes on and other young blokes like Hopoate and Fonua Blake.

Realistically I see somewhere from 6 to 12 next season.

I believe every teams supporters deserve to be optimistic about the year ahead. A team like Newcastle 2016 hasn't existed in the modern era. Generally all teams have had their pluses and if a few things go right could sneak into the 8.

However if that team you listed comes 6th you need to resign Barrett for 5 years and Knight Bob Fulton. Apart from the T bros who are quality, then DCE, walker and taupau who are all hot and cold, I see guys who would struggle to make the 17 of 12-13 other clubs.

Who knows a bunch of them might come good but I see that on paper being a bottom 4 team, if you had a Bellamy at the helm maybe they could do something but with Barrett there I see nothing but pain in 2017.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I believe every teams supporters deserve to be optimistic about the year ahead. A team like Newcastle 2016 hasn't existed in the modern era. Generally all teams have had their pluses and if a few things go right could sneak into the 8.

However if that team you listed comes 6th you need to resign Barrett for 5 years and Knight Bob Fulton. Apart from the T bros who are quality, then DCE, walker and taupau who are all hot and cold, I see guys who would struggle to make the 17 of 12-13 other clubs.

Who knows a bunch of them might come good but I see that on paper being a bottom 4 team, if you had a Bellamy at the helm maybe they could do something but with Barrett there I see nothing but pain in 2017.

Yeah, yeah.

We were over 20s at the start of 2011.

Not saying we will win it, but who bloody knows.

We'll just wait and see.

groggo

Juniors
keeping it real atm anything can happen . opposing supporters will always claim we are done and dusted before the season starts . there is some promising signs and recruitment hasnt been too bad remeber the players we signed may be considered dead wood but the coach was dead wood before he started coaching . the ongoing rants about barrett are probably fair enough but last year we had a huge turn over due to injury you can never recover from that . I say opposing supporters keep ya hate coming it will bite you as it always does giddy up go MANLY

Vic Mackey

Referee
Well you came bottom 4 this year and from what I can see you've got worse in the centers, props, back rowers and hooker. Your 20s came dead last winning 3 games all year and your nsw cup side came 2nd last. The bench listed above has 4 guys who were cut from their respective NRL squads in 2016.

The only improvement on paper I can see is at 5/8 and that's with a 30 year old journeyman.

Of course you could surprise everyone but it would be just that, a massive surprise. And As much as you would love to think it's the 'manly hate' that has no one rating it it's not. It's for the reasons above.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Well you came bottom 4 this year and from what I can see you've got worse in the centers, props, back rowers and hooker. Your 20s came dead last winning 3 games all year and your nsw cup side came 2nd last. The bench listed above has 4 guys who were cut from their respective NRL squads in 2016.

The only improvement on paper I can see is at 5/8 and that's with a 30 year old journeyman.

Of course you could surprise everyone but it would be just that, a massive surprise. And As much as you would love to think it's the 'manly hate' that has no one rating it it's not. It's for the reasons above.

You'd have as much idea about Manly juniors as I would Tigers.

Also signed the new deal with Blacktown Workers and I would not expect you to notice who they sign, but they have been going ballistic with signing players.

No idea where you think we are weaker at prop? Starling is gone and if Myles didn't play then happy days.

Our centres last year (for the most part) were Wiliame and Lewis Brown, with Lyon, who was playing on one leg most of the year. Walker played 80% of the season out of position.

Losing Buhrer was a head scratcher, but not a world beater and most on this site seem to think he is average anyway.

Anyhoo, we were cruelled by injury and have done plenty to improve the depth of the club.

Blokes ike Meehan and AFB had huge weaps as juniors. AFB has already started to deliver on that and has a season under his belt now.

DCE had to do EVERYTHING himself last year. The relief of duties will have a massive impact.

Tom T had a busted ankle from basically round 5 or 6. See how he goes IF he is without injury.

I certainly don't think we will be winning the comp, but am equally sure we will surprise a few.

And I don't think what you are saying is "Manly hate" at all. Your posts aren't rubbish and I respect your opinion.

Vic Mackey

Referee
You'd have as much idea about Manly juniors as I would Tigers.

Also signed the new deal with Blacktown Workers and I would not expect you to notice who they sign, but they have been going ballistic with signing players.

No idea where you think we are weaker at prop? Starling is gone and if Myles didn't play then happy days.

Our centres last year (for the most part) were Wiliame and Lewis Brown, with Lyon, who was playing on one leg most of the year. Walker played 80% of the season out of position.

Losing Buhrer was a head scratcher, but not a world beater and most on this site seem to think he is average anyway.

Anyhoo, we were cruelled by injury and have done plenty to improve the depth of the club.

Blokes ike Meehan and AFB had huge weaps as juniors. AFB has already started to deliver on that and has a season under his belt now.

DCE had to do EVERYTHING himself last year. The relief of duties will have a massive impact.

Tom T had a busted ankle from basically round 5 or 6. See how he goes IF he is without injury.

I certainly don't think we will be winning the comp, but am equally sure we will surprise a few.

And I don't think what you are saying is "Manly hate" at all. Your posts aren't rubbish and I respect your opinion.

Like I said I believe every teams fans deserve to be optimistic going into the season. The only team I would confidently say are little to no chance of making the 8 are Newcastle but even they should greatly improve on 2016.

No I didn't know they had merged with Blacktown but signing a heap of nsw cup players as backup doesn't change my opinion on their chances next year.

You would think with the price tag DCE commanded he would want to be able to do everything whether he had help or not. The club lost a lot of quality to keep him and he didn't didn't deliver. Maybe we'll look back on 2016 as a blip of his career radar or maybe we'll see it as showing his true quality. I guess we'll know this time next year.

Personally I think they need two good quality props before I'd consider them a chance for finals.

matrightyeh

Juniors
With Barrett...no chance. Bottom 3 for me
not that bad imo
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

groggo

Juniors

and losing so many players to injury doesnt help look at the top sides they had there top 17 virtually all year . As for props yes myles is a Dud we all know that . however there is also the emerging Jake Trbojevic every team in the comp would kill to have a youngster like him.
I never mentioned hate my quote was every other teams supporters . Manly are very resilient team as are the supporters your comments are amusing and they are a little tainted as well .

We picked up quite a few younger players in the off season and the affiliation with blacktown workers is a win win situation

typicalfan

Coach
not that bad imo
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
I just cant see it. Api and Green are overrated, DCE is low on form and Tom Turbo is a gun but he isnt good enough to carry the team yet. Add to that no Killer and Barrett as coach equals non contender to me. Only Knights and Dragons I rate lower at the moment.

Patorick

Staff member
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles have extended the contract of powerful forward Addin Fonua-Blake until the end of the 2018 season.

Off contract at the end of this year, Fonua-Blake’s extension is a reward for a great first season in the NRL in 2016.

Fonua-Blake made his NRL and Club debut against Parramatta Eels in round seven. He went on to play 14 matches for the Sea Eagles and was chosen in the New Zealand train-on squad for the recent Four Nations tournament.

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Coach Trent Barrett said Fonua-Blake will be a key part of the Manly forward pack next season.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2017/01/05/contract_extension_f.html

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Dylan Napa re-signs with the Roosters until end of 2019.

http://www.roosters.com.au/news/2017/01/17/dylan_napa_re_commit.html?camefrom=EMCL_1441153_55371525

Dylan Napa re-commits to Roosters

In a massive boost for Sydney Roosters Members and supporters, the Club is thrilled to announce that Dylan Napa has signed a two-year extension, keeping him at the Roosters until at least the end of 2019.

“I’ve been at the Roosters since I was 17. I came here as a kid and this is where I have developed as a football player, but more importantly as a person, so I’m happy with how it’s all worked out and to agree to a new two-year extension,” said Napa.

“My football has progressed over the years with the Roosters, and the Club is heading in an exciting direction, so I’m happy to know that I’ll continue to be a part of it,” he added.

24 year-old Napa’s development continued throughout the 2016 season, with the Roosters enforcer cementing his position in the Roosters starting 17. He played all bar one game and was selected in the Prime Minister’s XIII.

“Dylan has been in the Roosters system for a number of years now, and we are pleased to have retained his services, despite interest from other clubs,” said Roosters CEO John Lee.

Roosters Head Coach, Trent Robinson, added: “Dylan is a fierce competitor and a highly-valued contributor to our team.

“Dylan holds himself accountable and has worked hard to cement his position as a leader in our pack, and I’m looking forward to watching his development in the coming seasons,” he added.

Napa made his NRL debut with the Roosters against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in Round 15 of the 2013 season and has played 81 NRL games to date.

He has represented the Prime Minister’s XIII against Papua New Guinea on two occasions (2014, 2016) and has played three Tests for the Cook Islands (2013 Rugby League World Cup).

The new agreement comes at an exciting time for the Roosters, with the Club also securing contract extensions with players including Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Joseph Manu and Connor Watson in the recent months.

Read more at http://www.roosters.com.au/news/2017/01/17/dylan_napa_re_commit.html#kvPXA5WvezIBBxyK.99

Reactions: OVP