What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed USA Teams for 2014

Fighter

Juniors
http://www.usarl.com/2014/05/season-iv-kicks-off-this-weekend/

The USARL board put on hold AMNRL last minute membership applications.

Last night, the USA Rugby League board voted a last minute plea from the remaining AMNRL clubs for membership and to participate in the USARL 2014 season to be unsuccessful. The USARL extended invitations in January 2014 for these clubs to apply for USARL membership and participation in USARL National Competitions. A further invitation was extended to the remaining clubs in February, without response. A season schedule was created shortly after this to meet the needs of those clubs committed to the USARL that could fulfill obligations for sponsors, players, fans and administrators. On May 16, five (5) AMNRL teams applied as a bloc requesting a merger between organizations.
USA Rugby League Chairman, Peter Illfield commented on the recent developments, “The request to merge organizations and competitions was not in the best of our League’s stakeholders and had ignored all previous correspondence inviting applications for USARL membership status. Additionally, the USARL Board voted that the late request to expand the competition 2 weeks prior to kickoff would cause too much disruption.” Illfield added, “Our message has been consistent since the invitation was sent out in January. Since formation, the USARL has remained aligned with our vision, core administration and ability to make decisions through a democratic and transparent voting process which includes all member clubs. We should applaud the board’s patience and process in vetting these disruptions and having the willingness to consider all possibilities for the future of the game here in the USA”

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
Firstly, I am not Bobo, Matt Astill, Gil or the bogeyman. I have been a friend and supporter of the Knights (and Rugby League), on and off, for years.

Dont believe the hype about last minute. Representatives from both sides been talking for months about coming together, you know its true, answer truthfully.

The AMNRL did not put out a schedule because of this.

The USARL had a great oppurtunity to rise above the fray, accept a bunch of established, strong teams in their league and did not do so. They are trying to kill off people they do not agree with in the detriment to domestic players. BTW Choo, get over your gripe with David Niu, he has been gone for years. Lets talk about players now.

Once again the USARL will not be a representation of Rugby League in America, and their teams will not be able to play against some of the best teams in the country. That does'nt hurt the "officials", just the players.

It seems very petty and vindictive with a real lack of strong leadership and not acting in the best interests of Rugby League

Fighter

Juniors
And I am not Ryan McGough, I just hide behind his logo and name and details to state my opinions from the shadows.
And the amnrl have been speaking on and off about mergers etc, but these 5 teams applied 2 weeks ago. If they had no back up plan that is not our responsibility.

Last edited:

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
good then we finally agree that we are a bunch of ignorant fools pontificating about things that we really dont know about!

:D

Choo Choo

Juniors
BTW Choo, get over your gripe with David Niu, he has been gone for years. Lets talk about players now.

WOW! Looks like we've struck a nerve. I NEVER had a problem with Niu and I can pull up many references on here that show that I have acknowledged David and his contributuions to RL in the USA. I was again simply stating the facts. I wish David well in all his endeavors whether its the AFL China or Rugby League of America.

If like you said, the AMNRL didn't put together a schedule because of the talks, then that was poor planning on their part. The USARL put one out as a failsafe. Little hint, that's what good planners do.

Yes, there have been ongoing talks for almost three years and the USARL has always had their doors open to AMNRL teams. In the January meeting, Peter Illfield openly invited the AMNRL to join the USARL and the AMNRL delegation wasn't having it. It was the AMNRL side that always chose to lead the smear campaign and to what avail? Now, the USARL is the premier competition in the USA and will only grow stronger.

When will you guys realize that the AMNRL is a failed business model and cannot sustain itself anymore?

I'm sure the USARL will give all applications for membership the attention they deserve, but trying to force their hand in the 11th hour won't cut it. Like I said earlier, I'm sure there will be a unified competition in 2015.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
WOW - I will quote that then. You never had a problem with David Niu. Not sure what your whole paragraph was about before then.

Anyway - There have been talks between the two attorneys since December. Fact
It was actually the USARL that closed the door on negotiations on a merger. Fact.
The two attorneys kept talking up until last week on the assumption that the teams would join. Why put out a bs schedule.

Anyone can see that this was a hatchet job. They knoew there was no AMNRL schedule so they used that to their advantage.

Everyone knows that 1/2 the teams are smoke and mirrors. Nova could barely get a team together in the AMNRL.

The USARL just shut the doors on at least four strong, high profile teams. Amazing. Like I said, don't for a minute believe this "last minute" bs.

The logisitics could be worked out for the betterment of the game and the players. Thats what good planners and leaders do.

Severly lacking in integrity and leadership.

Rugger

Juniors
The AMNRL did not put out a schedule because of this.

Once again the USARL will not be a representation of Rugby League in America, and their teams will not be able to play against some of the best teams in the country. That does'nt hurt the "officials", just the players.

If the AMNRL didn't put together a schedule as of two weeks ago (putting aside who fault is what) , it's nobody's fault but their own. This is common sense. Having no backup plan is a glaring sign of bad leadership and organization. EVERYBODY who's a player/fan/etc of rugby league in America KNOWS that it is contested during the summer months. Summer is coming with or without that schedule; just like rugby league in America is going on with or without the AMNRL having a 2014 season (at this point) or possibly being in existence. No one person, team, or league is bigger than the sport. It will go on.

When will you guys realize that the AMNRL is a failed business model and cannot sustain itself anymore?

I'm sure the USARL will give all applications for membership the attention they deserve, but trying to force their hand in the 11th hour won't cut it. Like I said earlier, I'm sure there will be a unified competition in 2015.

Defeat is hard thing to admit for humans in general; especially ones in "power". From my outside view of the situation, ego are in play on both sides. Hopefully, as you said some resolution can be met an there will be true unity.

Everyone knows that 1/2 the teams are smoke and mirrors. Nova could barely get a team together in the AMNRL.

Which teams do you consider "smoke and mirrors"? Didn't NOVA go 4-4 or 5-3 last season, IN THE AMNRL which included playing those "four strong, high profile teams". That doesn't seem like they "could barely get a team together". Also they came in 2nd place in the Southampton tournament; beating your beloved Knights...

Evil Homer

Staff member
WOW - I will quote that then. You never had a problem with David Niu. Not sure what your whole paragraph was about before then.

Anyway - There have been talks between the two attorneys since December. Fact
It was actually the USARL that closed the door on negotiations on a merger. Fact.
The two attorneys kept talking up until last week on the assumption that the teams would join. Why put out a bs schedule.

Anyone can see that this was a hatchet job. They knoew there was no AMNRL schedule so they used that to their advantage.

The USARL just shut the doors on at least four strong, high profile teams. Amazing. Like I said, don't for a minute believe this "last minute" bs.

The logisitics could be worked out for the betterment of the game and the players. Thats what good planners and leaders do.

Severly lacking in integrity and leadership.
Why do you continue to post this BS? Who are you trying to fool, honestly?

It's disappointing that the USARL couldn't do something at least for the sake of diplomacy, but TBH if the AMNRL clubs were really interested in joining the USARL then they would have done so months ago. NOVA joined months ago, and now they have a league to play in. The rest of the AMNRL clubs and management have apparently sat back, continued this bizarre, vindictive attitude that they have maintained for the past 3 and a half years and now they don't have a league to play in.

Honestly, based on your posts here and the fact that the old AMNRL management including Niu have apparently now formed a new body, I'd suggest that they were fully aware that the USARL weren't in a position to accept 4 or 5 new teams at this late stage, months after the competition schedule had been announced. There's really no way you can spin this in your favour and the fact that the AMNRL were apparently willing to sacrifice their own competition in order to try to further smear the USARL is a new low, but TBH nothing more than I would expect given the prior actions of this group. The bottom line is that if the remaining AMNRL clubs had wanted to play in the USARL then they had ample opportunity to do so, and the fact that they refused that opportunity in favour of more posturing and backbiting is absolutely nobody's fault but their own.

Last edited:

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Just a few items for you all to discuss:

- Open and Public Invitations, and personal and direct invitations, were extended to ALL AMNRL Teams at least THREE TIMES this year. NOVA was the ONLY team that applied, and is now a member team. (BTW they have over 25 registered players on the books, who have all registered via the USARL online process)
- WHY did the other AMNRL teams wait until now to apply?
- After months of open invitations, was the expectation for the USARL teams to completely change all the plans on home and away games, change dates for Venues, Transport Rentals, Accommodations, and player plans for BYE weeks, within 10 DAYS of the season actually starting? I can tell you THIS was the biggest concern BY FAR for the teams. The potential COST of changes, playing with limited numbers on games that were supposed to be BYE weeks, and that MANY could not secure or change dates outside of their current commitments.
- The AMNLR.org site had listed “Standings” for the AMNRL competition and was updated until April. Various social media posts, from apparent AMNRL “Heads” and Teams, up until early May indicated that the AMNRL teams were planning on operating their own competition as per normal. Were these not REAL postings? If not, what was their purpose? And why did that change 10 days ago? Did something happen that would not allow their competition to move forward as planned?
- Who is in charge of the AMNRL? Earlier this year USARL executives met with 4 AMNRL Execs, and were told THEY were the ones in charge. Then a month later, are told that CURTIS was the new Man in Charge. Then 2 of the Execs from the AMNRL panel are told they are not part of it anymore (BK and D. Flint). Then recently Rob Balachandran (who was not one of the original four) is the man in charge. So the question is, WHO is actually in charge and what was the process of their "election" to power.
- What is "Rugby League Federation of America" and what is its purpose? It was set up in the State of New York a month ago, and Rob Balachandran is listed as the "head". (A link of the filing was sent to the USARL from "a concerned source")
- Has the AMNRL actually been dissolved, as seems to be the common understanding of "former" AMNRL teams and players?
- Why were all AMNRL teams told to apply via the "Bloc" thru Rob Balachandran, rather than individually like the NOVA Eagles did?
- In a VERY recent email from Rob Balachandran to the USARL, he CLEARLY states the David Niu and Steve Johnson must remain as the “HEADS of direction” for the USA National Team, while the BOD sorts out the competition. This was an odd statement given that we all believe David is involved with AFL China. And why is Steve Johnson so important given that he lives in Australia? What is his role when it comes to the National Team of the USA, and at what stage was his position of influence extended beyond the 2013 World Cup?

It all seems rather “odd” when you look at it from a business point of view.

Options for allowing the players to continue to be apart of Rugby League in the USA:
(A) Would the AMNRL teams consider playing in a “Minor League” competition that may also feature the “Reserve Grade Teams” of some of the Northern Teams?
(B) Would the players be willing to join the current USARL Northern Teams, compete for top team spots, and give each team enough numbers to host Minor League Games during the season?

Evil Homer

Staff member
^ Why is Balachandran in a position to make any demands regarding the management of the national team? Even if he is now in charge of the AMNRL, the AMNRL isn't an RLIF member and apparently no longer even exists at all, so why would there be any requirement for Niu or Johnson to be involved in any way? TBH those guys should be kept as far away as possible given their history.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Balachandran is the president (?) of the ny knights. He wants niu and johnson to remain in charge of the tomahawks. Yet the ny knights coach sent a public email asking johnson to step aside.
I dont get it...

Rugger

Juniors
Who is in charge of the AMNRL?

Reason there is no clear answer for this is because who would want to step up and outright say/claim that they're in charge of a cluster f**k...I wouldn't...

From how you describe things, it seems as though there are just a bunch figureheads and nobody is actually leading the charge.

Craigo

Juniors
The AMNRL circus just rolls on. Any AMERICAN Rugby League player with aspirations of representing their country of birth, especially at a World Cup, should steer clear of anything those men are involved in. I hope and pray that the USARL become the governing body of Rugby League in America with full RLIF status.

Spinner, your suggestions for the remaining AMNRL teams are a great option. Hopefully they will happen in one form or another.

100%green

Juniors
There is an interesting exchange on Twitter between the Wildcats and IRL media. The Wildcats blame USARL. Not really the place to air dirty laundry but if you want to see their response the go to Twitter and have a look.

Craigo

Juniors
There is an interesting exchange on Twitter between the Wildcats and IRL media. The Wildcats blame USARL. Not really the place to air dirty laundry but if you want to see their response the go to Twitter and have a look.

Just had look. He KNEW what was required to join the USARL but does nothing until 1 week before the comp starts, then has the hide to blame everyone but his own organisation and himself.
Curtis seems like a great guy with lots of passion and energy for RL, but he is seriously deluded if he thinks the AMNRL or its remnants will be the RLIF sanctioned body (assuming the new requirements are enforced) for the next WC.

league13

Juniors
Never thought I'd see the day when I would say I was pleased to hear of the demise of the AMNRL.Trying to follow their progress over the years has been very frustrating to say the least.For many, the selection of the team for the World Cup was a slap in the face for those who had got them to that point.Still not aware of what damage it did to those involved.At least now the way forward is with the USARL and I wish them well.

RedVee

First Grade
So if the AMNRL is dead, and replaced by the RLFA does that mean that there is no RL body in the US that has the authority to run a national team?

At the moment, I think the USARL would meet the parameters to become the national body, or is the purpose of the RLFA to be that body but not run a competition, sorta like the ARLC is a separate label to the premier comp in Aust. ????

Could the AMNRL clubs operate as a separate conference within the USARL comp for this year??
Sending a team into the playoffs??

Why is it the most promising RL minor nations, USA & Italy, are the most f'ed up???

RL the greatest soap opera in town.

Steve Davy

Juniors

Why is it the most promising RL minor nations, USA & Italy, are the most f'ed up???

Sometimes, when a project is ego driven, having as much evident progress seen as soon as possible can be priority. Less ego driven projects seem to hum along quietly, with people knowing their sucessors may get the glory, but that not being the problem. Also, time allows for mistakes to be make and new strategies to emerge.

On the issue of the USA and Italy, there are huge success stories. However, when a game has huge quick success, built on solid foundation, it has a new problem. People will want to fight over it without there being a tradition is establish whose it is.