What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congratulations

Eelementary

Post Whore
Monaghan is a star - tore us to shreds.

And do you guys reckon Lyon was told by Dessie to lay back and only chime in when necessary? I thought he was a tad quiet. But the touches he did have were quite good.

Anyway - you guys are a powerhouse. And all that without Beaver. It's scary to think just how much better you'll be with him back! Always loved that bloke...Such a champ, on and off the field.

Cletus

First Grade
Thanks guys, it's not often opposition fans are so graceful in defeat.
Hopefully you'll pull through with a few wins but the Finch/Smith combo is a shocker. good luck, the rest of the team seems ok, especially the fowards.

CharlieF

Juniors
eelavation said:
probably, the thing is, he has an awsome pack behind him laying a perfect platform and he just doesn't take the game by scruff of the neck.

If you notice a lot of the games this year, Manly has really absorbed a lot of early pressure and hardly had any handy field position until the 2nd half. The forwards are going forward, but not the whole game. Manly has not really dominated field position by much and in some games have not dominated field position at all. Orford relies on being within 40 metres of the opposition line. He is deadly from there and it results in a Manly try 7 out of 10 times. Manly has not had much of that type of field position in the last 3 games he has played. Even so, he has still has 4 to 5 try assists to go with his 5 try assists in the first game he played.

Coming out of your own half, he is not the best, but when in the opposition half he is one of the best.

He is not going as bad as what everyone thinks.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Orford was Quiet and you are still able to win quit well, Says alot about how well the manly Halves are going especially Monahan..

CharlieF

Juniors
Y2Eel said:
Orford was Quiet and you are still able to win quit well, Says alot about how well the manly Halves are going especially Monahan..

Yeah, well Monas will possibly become one of the most expensive halves in the game. Will make Orfords pay packet cry. We can't afford to keep him. Orford is cheaper.

Y2Eel

First Grade
CharlieF said:
Yeah, well Monas will possibly become one of the most expensive halves in the game. Will make Orfords pay packet cry. We can't afford to keep him. Orford is cheaper.
He is also a better player Orford will probably play SOO this year hope if NSW lose they dont use him as a scape goat...

CharlieF

Juniors
Y2Eel said:
He is also a better player Orford will probably play SOO this year hope if NSW lose they dont use him as a scape goat...

I have said before, that Monas is suited to SOO football. He puts in 100% both in attack and defence and has been known to win a game or 2 with a few flashes of brilliance every now and then.

We have Orford on contract for another 2 and half years. We actually also have Monas for another year and a half but Manly are letting him go before he serves out his contract. Maybe if he made the SOO team, who know what his next move would be Re: contract talks. I would certainly like to keep him, but I'm not completely privvy to why he must leave Manly early. I know that there are some important players coming off contract at the end of this year, so maybe they want to free up money for these?

Y2Eel

First Grade
CharlieF said:
I have said before, that Monas is suited to SOO football. He puts in 100% both in attack and defence and has been known to win a game or 2 with a few flashes of brilliance every now and then.

We have Orford on contract for another 2 and half years. We actually also have Monas for another year and a half but Manly are letting him go before he serves out his contract. Maybe if he made the SOO team, who know what his next move would be Re: contract talks. I would certainly like to keep him, but I'm not completely privvy to why he must leave Manly early. I know that there are some important players coming off contract at the end of this year, so maybe they want to free up money for these?

Just hope you guys dont lose Monas and Burns and have Lyon swith to 5/8.. They both are handy players..

CharlieF

Juniors
Y2Eel said:
Just hope you guys dont lose Monas and Burns and have Lyon swith to 5/8.. They both are handy players..

Burns is coming along nicely and has improved each year he has been with us. Ballin is another that we really can't lose. Monas will go. remeber he was the main man at Manly before BK came. It must of been hard to take a lesser role, after being captain, halfback and chief playmaker, so I can understand. Add to that that he has also become better since then. He wants to be halfback. Manly see him as a utility player plus they have a halfback. He wants to move on because he wants to realise that potential as well as earning maximum salary whilst he can still attract it. I think he is on 250k a season with us, but I think he can double that.

It would be interesting if he made the NSW team as halfback. Has it happened before that a team's second choice halfback has made it ahead of the main halfback???

Y2Eel

First Grade
Manly have a great Nucleus of a team a good 1 6 7 and 9 and if any of those players are injured you only have to swap a few players around with out to much disruption to the team..

I doubt a second string half has been picked in favour of the main half for SOO (I think finch was NSW half when he was 5/8 at the roosters though cant be to sure)..

CharlieF

Juniors
Y2Eel said:
Manly have a great Nucleus of a team a good 1 6 7 and 9 and if any of those players are injured you only have to swap a few players around with out to much disruption to the team..

I doubt a second string half has been picked in favour of the main half for SOO (I think finch was NSW half when he was 5/8 at the roosters though cant be to sure)..

Those positions (apart from fullback) has already chopped and changed about a thousand times this year. It chops and changes during a game FFS. I hope they get it right in a game that really matters.

If Orford doesn't get the NSW halfback job, so be it. I personally think that he is good enough. I remember back in 2001 or 2002 when the Northern Eagles bought Kimmorley and Orfrod was just coming through the reserve grade. I though what the FU$K, why would we let Orford go when he was showing so much promise. I was dissapointed with that, I think a sign of things to come for them when it happened. He is now back at Manly and as a player he is as good and as competetive as he was then. He should never have been allowed to leave, especially at no cost. Monas is another example actually. Manly were so blinded by the fact that they needed a high quality halfback, that they completely forgot that they actually already had one. I was dreading a swap with the Storm, Orford for Monas. It was almost the Kimmorley saga all over again.

RainMan

Juniors
CharlieF said:
I remember back in 2001 or 2002 when the Northern Eagles bought Kimmorley and Orfrod was just coming through the reserve grade. I though what the FU$K, why would we let Orford go when he was showing so much promise.

I blame Peter Sharp for that, he wanted Kimmorley at any cost.

t-ba

Post Whore
RainMan said:
I blame Peter Sharp for that, he wanted Kimmorley at any cost.

In hindsight I'm pretty happy about it. They'd still be playing half their games at Gosford if Orford stuck around and Kimmorley stayed in Melbourne.

chileman

Coach
Great crowd, great atmosphere, great game and may I say it, great result :D In saying that, I think Parra will definately make the top 6, but they really need Finch to start playing errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr footy :sarcasm: When is Tahu back for your lot???
:? I keep saying it ovber and over again, why are we letting Monas go :crazy:

Latest posts