What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cook for an origin bench spot

Rabbits20

Immortal
You'll also find Madge didn't give Cookie much of a go and believe in Cookie which affected his confidence. I always believed in Cookie and I'm glad Seibs has.

Doyen I always knew Cookie had this in him. Madge tried to programme Cookie into something he's not. I have to admit it was poor coaching stuffing a players ability and confidence.

Galeforce

Bench
I think there will only be 1 .........and it could be either.

Makes no sense to have an 80 minute player on the bench to replace another 80 minute player.
Makes more sense to have a Peachy or Angus on the bench , however if one of these two hookers was on the bench , it would have to be Cook , he can be a dynamic addition .

I tend to think the "Souths" hate will find Cameron get the job and Peachie the bench. If So , hope NSW get thrashed.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think there will only be 1 .........and it could be either.

Makes no sense to have an 80 minute player on the bench to replace another 80 minute player.
Makes more sense to have a Peachy or Angus on the bench , however if one of these two hookers was on the bench , it would have to be Cook , he can be a dynamic addition .

I tend to think the "Souths" hate will find Cameron get the job and Peachie the bench. If So , hope NSW get thrashed.
If that's the case I've had a gutful and am down with the Blues for good and I mean it. He can't do anymore Cookie than he's done.

I was speaking to a guy who used to be in the Souths hierarchy about all this the other day..he sure spoke to me about a couple of things.... quite frankly he's had a gutful too and he said it'll be an absolute miracle if Cookie gets picked for the 9 @callmack1 what more can he do bro?? Past 5 times he's outplayed you know who!!!!

Itsamansgame

Juniors
I'd be very happy for Cook not to be chosen,I have been turned off Origin for many years now,it's been turned into a boring defensive ugly game run and coached by former players who's major concern is their own egos who are gutless to let NSW play what's in front of them and harness a players natural abilities.
McInnes will fit into the boring defensive style of play perfectly and Fittler with his f**king alcoholic,doped up Rorter mentality hasn't got a f**king clue how to coach a player of Cooks natural abilities and skill,Fittler has problems thinking and speaking straight.
So for mine f**k origin and f**k Fittler and nothing would make me happier to see Fittler cop a 3-0 hiding!

thebrow

Juniors
You'll also find Madge didn't give Cookie much of a go and believe in Cookie which affected his confidence. I always believed in Cookie and I'm glad Seibs has.

Doyen I always knew Cookie had this in him. Madge tried to programme Cookie into something he's not. I have to admit it was poor coaching stuffing a players ability and confidence.
Not entirely true.

Cook started 19 of 37 games under Madge , he had his chances. He was bought in to back up Cam who is now one of the top two hookers in the state , and then he had the incumbent NSW hooker come into the squad and was back up as well.

It wasn’t so much bad coaching but a fair bit of strength in the 9 position.

Cook is the most improved player in the comp this year , it coincides with the entire team improving and the twins being fit finally and powering. Who knows how Cam would be performing in such environment , it’s all speculation

Not entirely true.

Cook started 19 of 37 games under Madge , he had his chances. He was bought in to back up Cam who is now one of the top two hookers in the state , and then he had the incumbent NSW hooker come into the squad and was back up as well.

It wasn’t so much bad coaching but a fair bit of strength in the 9 position.

Cook is the most improved player in the comp this year , it coincides with the entire team improving and the twins being fit finally and powering. Who knows how Cam would be performing in such environment , it’s all speculation
You say Madge gave Cook a chance ? A chance to play his game or the way Madge wanted him to play cos we can all see that cook is now playing his own game and it’s working.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You say Madge gave Cook a chance ? A chance to play his game or the way Madge wanted him to play cos we can all see that cook is now playing his own game and it’s working.
Amen brother amen!!

I don't think this guy comprehends it though!

From what I can see he's clearly against Cody and Cook. I respect his view but I don't have to agree!

I may be watching a different games out at matches compared to what he has been!!

If we had Mcturtle we'd be 5 and 6 most likely. Wouldn't have beat the Dogs or the Cows..

Travitoh

First Grade
Whichever player gets the spot will deserve it.

A few stats I'd like to point out though...
McInnes leads Cook in try assists (4-3), line break assists (5-3), tackle efficiency (92%-90%) forced drop outs (3-0) and despite running a lot less, offloads (9-7).

Cook's greatest strength is running out of dummy-half and there is no one better in the comp today but for all the running, there isn't a whole lot to show for it beyond metres.
McInnes doesn't run as frequently but is much more rounded in his play. He has a bit more ability with the ball in hand i believe and is capable of managing a game.

Another factor that i would consider is McInnes is playing alongside a dominant halves pairing, he is doing what he has to in getting the footy to the playmakers. My NSW team would feature Cleary and Maloney in the halves, two playmakers you want to have the footy in hand. I feel that Cook playing the way he has been at Souths would stifle the NSW attack as a lot of their offensive gameplan would go through the two halves. If Cook doesn't play that way then you get the Madge coached Cook who we all can agree isn't rep quality.

Like i said, both players deserve the jumper and whichever gets it won't upset me at all but i do believe McInnes is the better fit - not only for 2018 but beyond

thebrow

Juniors
#9. Cook
#14. Peachy
If that go that way I have no problem with it. Like I have said it is either Cam or Cook at 9 , but if they do pick Cam at 9 then Cook misses out , you can’t have him on the bench ahead of Peachy

Cam and Cook are the form hookers of 2018 , both completely different styles , it will be up to the coach how he wants to play. Whoever he picks deserves the spot

Rabbits20

Immortal

McInnes leads Cook in try assists (4-3), line break assists (5-3), tackle efficiency (92%-90%) forced drop outs (3-0) and despite running a lot less, offloads (9-7).

Cook's greatest strength is running out of dummy-half and there is no one better in the comp today but for all the running, there isn't a whole lot to show for it beyond metres.
McInnes doesn't run as frequently but is much more rounded in his play. He has a bit more ability with the ball in hand i believe and is capable of managing a game.

Another factor that i would consider is McInnes is playing alongside a dominant halves pairing, he is doing what he has to in getting the footy to the playmakers. My NSW team would feature Cleary and Maloney in the halves, two playmakers you want to have the footy in hand. I feel that Cook playing the way he has been at Souths would stifle the NSW attack as a lot of their offensive gameplan would go through the two halves. If Cook doesn't play that way then you get the Madge coached Cook who we all can agree isn't rep quality.

Like i said, both players deserve the jumper and whichever gets it won't upset me at all but i do believe McInnes is the better fit - not only for 2018 but beyond
I respect that but I completely disagree!

The Blues won't win with a hooker like Peats which is what Cam is.

If Cook doesn't make it in and get fair game time I'll be done with the Blues like others who are at their wits end with their hierarchy.

Funny how Cook pretty much has the same tackle efficiency as Cam now.

I believe Cook also has more crisp faster bullet like passes which is a big benefit.

You can't beat one thing imo and that's just lightning pace with fast passes and instincts of a cheetah!

Imo McInnes is being made to look better than he is in that star studded Dragons side who play the style that suits him!

If Fittler wants just his hooker to go about his work QLD will love that.

QLD are scared of Cook. In a press conference GI said he knows who he's more scared of!

Also if you pick Maloney points will leak. His defence isn't up to it and if he gets frustrated he will start leaking those penalties again!

doyen

Bench

This is spot on--there would be a huge risk factor with COOK--the way he plays he could bugger things up for NSW!!
I get the feeling that Cam would be ahead as the safest & best option.
Cook should be a bench option in a utility role but it appears Peachey has the nod!!
McInnes has better all-round stats--Cook is a devastating runner in the NRL;but SOO,I don't really think that's enough!

Rabbits20

Immortal
This is spot on--there would be a huge risk factor with COOK--the way he plays he could bugger things up for NSW!!
I get the feeling that Cam would be ahead as the safest & best option.
Cook should be a bench option in a utility role but it appears Peachey has the nod!!
McInnes has better all-round stats--Cook is a devastating runner in the NRL;but SOO,I don't really think that's enough!
Bear in mind Doyen stats aren't the be all and end all.

The Blues have to play outside the box to beat QLD!

Also bear in mind the past 5 times they versed Cook has won the honours against Cam each time.

There isn't anymore Cook can do.

McInnes also has a silly penalty in him. Not sure what the stats are but I think he'd have given away more penalties than Cook. At least in the past 4-5 weeks that's how it has seemed to be.

What they don't show in the stats either is quickness on your feet or how fast and crisp passes are thrown. Cookie has McInnes covered there.

QLD won't mind McInnes being there but if Cook is selected they'll shit themselves so to speak.

GI also mentioned in a previous after match press conference as a QLD'r he'd rather Cookie be left out.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The stats links Southy put up in our game thread v Warriors shows this if you research:

McInnes 3 line breaks and 18 tackle breaks.

Cookie has made 8 line breaks and 38 tackle breaks..

That's more than double Cam has made @callmack1

So it's important we do not just look at the stats that favour McInnes. Stats arentbthe be all and end all though.

Both are playing well but I feel Cookie is in better touch.

Callmack I know you barrack for QLD. An honest question here bro.... who scares you more Cookie or McInnes?? I know what scares GI more.

Cookie actually leads McInnes 4-3 in try assists

Plus has scored 3 tries to 2.

These stats also show Cam has 97percent tackle efficiency and Cookie 95percent!

They also show Cookie has had to make 79 more tackles over all than Cam which is 7 more a week. Hence the lower efficiency re Cook working harder!

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am very happy with McInnes as our(Saints) hooker, but I think Cook is the better option. I rated Cook a chance to play for NSW at the beginning of last season or the beginning of the season before. He is the most dynamic hooker in the game.

callmack1

Staff member
The stats links Southy put up in our game thread v Warriors shows this if you research:

McInnes 3 line breaks and 18 tackle breaks.

Cookie has made 8 line breaks and 38 tackle breaks..

That's more than double Cam has made @callmack1

So it's important we do not just look at the stats that favour McInnes. Stats arentbthe be all and end all though.

Both are playing well but I feel Cookie is in better touch.

Callmack I know you barrack for QLD. An honest question here bro.... who scares you more Cookie or McInnes?? I know what scares GI more.

Cookie actually leads McInnes 4-3 in try assists

Plus has scored 3 tries to 2.

These stats also show Cam has 97percent tackle efficiency and Cookie 95percent!

They also show Cookie has had to make 79 more tackles over all than Cam which is 7 more a week. Hence the lower efficiency re Cook working harder!
Oh QLD will be pray McInnes is picked no doubt. Cookie is a way bigger threat to them.