What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cook Islands vs NZ Maori Tests

carlnz

Bench
Just to let you guys know that www.rugbyleaguenz.com will have live updates of Saturdays test match at 2pm nz time (NSW is 3 hours behind NZ).

Also just watch Kevin Iro on TV and he said that his side is made up of:
2 Uk based players,
3 Cook Islands based players,
4 Kiwi based players, and
the rest from the Premier League in Australia.

He said there next goal is the 2008 World Cup and he looked pretty damn confident on making it (well from the way he talked he did IMO). He said they get NO help from the RLIF becuase everyone thinks that they are to small to be competitive. But like Iro said, 90% of the Cook Islands population lives in NZ and Australia!!! He also said all the players playing in the current squad are funding there own Airline ticket to NZ!!

Cook Islands are one of the ture International teams and i hope to go the make the 2008 World Cup in stead of Nations like Samoa.

yakstorm

First Grade
The shame about Cook Islands, is the fact that the Island's population itself is so small. They are extremely well run, and have the perfect model for every Pacific Island.

Just for those who aren't aware, the Cook Islands RL Association is a joint board which sets the direction for the nation in terms of RL. The organisation is then split into 3 seperate bodies, CI Australia, CI New Zealand and of course the CIRL in the Cook Islands itself.

Between the three they quite often have tours and international tournaments, always ensuring that before a Cook Islands rep side is picked the three groups have played each other, and the best players are chosen.

I think a CI UK might of been setup by now, not fully sure, but the setup in the Southern Hemisphere is fantastic. It has turned a very small nation into a competitive force.

freeridermx

Juniors
you dont have the team line up by chance do you ?
it great that they have people like the iro`s involved in developing the game for the cook islands it funny that such a small nation at full strenght can put together a strong team. show what a bit of hard work can do.
keep up the goood work

Sun_Down

Juniors
carlnz said:
He also said all the players playing in the current squad are funding there own Airline ticket to NZ!!

:clap: That is dedication, that is pride in the jersey. I think everyone could take a leaf out of their book. Best of luck to them!

girvie

Staff member
yakstorm said:
The shame about Cook Islands, is the fact that the Island's population itself is so small. They are extremely well run, and have the perfect model for every Pacific Island.

Just for those who aren't aware, the Cook Islands RL Association is a joint board which sets the direction for the nation in terms of RL. The organisation is then split into 3 seperate bodies, CI Australia, CI New Zealand and of course the CIRL in the Cook Islands itself.

Between the three they quite often have tours and international tournaments, always ensuring that before a Cook Islands rep side is picked the three groups have played each other, and the best players are chosen.

I think a CI UK might of been setup by now, not fully sure, but the setup in the Southern Hemisphere is fantastic. It has turned a very small nation into a competitive force.
It will be dissapointing if they don't make the World Cup. Fiji also have a good system with Fiji A and Fiji Bati.

Is the World Cup confirmed to be 10 team?

This was there squad last year. Plenty of good players there.
1. Mahana Tai
2. Byron Ford
3. Nathan Ford
4. Kane Epati
5. Graeme Jeffries
6. Carlos Mataora
7. Marty Mitchell
8. Adam Cook-Watene
9. Quincy Adera-Pori
10. Darna Wilson
11. Henry Turva
12. Peter Lewis
13. Abraham Pritchard

14. Timo Antonio
15. George Tuakura
16. Byron Thomas
17. Terry Tara

carlnz

Bench
Byron Ford was the player of the Tournment for the Pacific Rim last year, i hope he is playing this year.

girvie

Staff member
This was the team they used for their matches against NZ Maori.
1.Turori Matutu
2. Nathan Ford
3.Reuben Enoka - Asquith Magpies Jim Beam Cup
4.Sema Mataora - plays with North Queensland Young guns
5.Graeme Jeffries
6. Lucas Daniela
7.Marti Mitchell - Canterbury Jersey Flegg
8.George Tuakura(capt)
9.Apii Kora
10. Pat Kuru
11.Brian Thomas
12.Henry Turua
13.Tere Glassie

14.Delaney Takiri
15.Victor Toane
16.Mana Hosking
17.Richard Marsters
18.Geoff Ruaporo
19.Sean Metcalf

Coach Ina Konito-Pakoti Manager Kevin Iro

Also i read that Karmichael Hunt and Aaron Cannings are eligible for the Cook Islands. If they played, along with Karl Temata and some of their other best players i'm sure they could qualify for the world cup.