What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could Sams suspension be a good thing.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Dont get me wrong, he played outta his skin against the raiders. But without Sam in the prior 2 games we went 1-1. One of which was a narrow loss to the comp leaders the Dragons

If he takes the 2 weeks he’ll miss the broncos and knights games. Both games ( and I’m channeling @Travitoh here, are winnable for us ) Broncos with injuries and now Knights with halves problems. He’ll be fresh for the Dragons which will lead into the Origin period.

I’m not glad this happened, but with Murray still to come back as well as guys like Clark, Turner, Hunt, Doeuihi, Tatola, Nicholls all knowing there jobs and playing well I feel we’re more likely to come out the other side in a positive manner then in previous years.

A fresh(er) Sam thru origin and into the back end could be a massive boost if we’re to shake it up at finals. Add Fui and Musgrove and things look promising

Travitoh

First Grade
They're definitely winnable. 6-3, here we come!
Calling it a good thing is a stretch but i do agree that we are better equipt this season than previously to play with out him.
That said, he is our best forward and to have him miss four of five games without injury or rep duties isn't a good thing. It puts unnecessary pressure on the players who look up to him on the field and sets a poor standard for discipline. The thing i disliked most about it was the way he appeared to disagree with the referees decision as soon as the whistle blew, like he did nothing wrong.
He is a leader and one of our best, Souths need better from him in the discipline department.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Wouldn't say a good thing, but we've got more depth (both in numbers and form) to cover his absence than we have in a long time.

Tom (in particular) and George are playing good footy, Clark's in career best form, Murray improves every time we see him, Tatola has hit the ground running in first grade, Nicholls has been solid and Turner's waiting in the wings.

f**k, if we can compete with the Dragons pack without Sam there's no reason why Brisbane or Newcastle's packs should worry us.

southsport

First Grade
At least Sam won't get injured in the next 2 weeks..........unless he has a training mishap.

Itsamansgame

Juniors
Didn't deserve to be suspended the first time or this time,but as we have amazing depth in that department at the moment and in good form I guess taking the 2 weeks won't hurt us terribly considering we play the Broncos & Newcastle with injury problems.
But shit I hate this blackmailing f**king judiciary system.
So for mine start Cam on the bench and let Tatola go ape shit for 80 minutes,he definitely has it in him!

doyen

Bench
While it's not a good thing, you could very well be right Toes!

It's never a good thing that Sam gets suspended as his reputation & record will end up getting him a very long suspension when we most need him.
He certainly needs to accept his 2 wk layoff & come back fresh & breathing fire[controlled fire] for the Saints clash!

southsport

First Grade
If Souths get beat by Newcastle on the weekend, then Sams suspension won't be a good thing for them at all.
And if Souths win they have got the two competition points without Sam being injured, it works both ways so let's wait and see what the outcome is before we make any decisions on the the match against the knights.

ouryears

Bench
It's never a good thing that Sam gets suspended as his reputation & record will end up getting him a very long suspension when we most need him.
He certainly needs to accept his 2 wk layoff & come back fresh & breathing fire[controlled fire] for the Saints clash!
Boooo

southsport

First Grade
I will also add that if Souths had Sam last weekend, then I doubt that they would have got beat by Brisbane. Sams suspension has already hurt Souths.
You're implying that Souths would have won that game, we'll never know if that would have been the case, glass half full not half empty, long term things are looking good.

The only time I would say a Sam suspension would be timely is if we were leading the comp by 10 points with four rounds to go and he picked up a two round suspension.

Otherwise, if points are important, which they are in basically any other scenario other than the one mentioned above, then you want him on the park.

The three weeks he's been suspended so far have probably cost us at least 2 and more likely 4 competition points.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
So again we’ve gone 1-1 without Sam. In the last few years I’m sure that would have been 0-4. The take away is not only the forwards but the whole team are working harder, knowing their jobs and as a result getting wins. Also takes the pressure off Sam as the only forward in the Souths pack worth feeding, which up until both Angus and Murray arrived was the case

southsport

First Grade
Better that Sam spends his time on the sideline early in the season rather than later, he's back for the dragons game and Souths aren't in too bad shape on the ladder, full steam ahead from here.

Latest posts