What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys cannot make Top 4

lynx000

Juniors
I just don't get what has happened up there this year. Good coach, good to great roster, but it has all just gone to shit. You still would have to think things will turn around at some stage and they will go on a bit of a run. Last two losses have been unlucky.

Card Shark

Immortal
I just don't get what has happened up there this year. Good coach, good to great roster, but it has all just gone to shit. You still would have to think things will turn around at some stage and they will go on a bit of a run. Last two losses have been unlucky.

Remember they finished 8th last year & scraped into finals by the skin of their teeth.

They then managed to string some good games together to make the GF, on the back of Morgan being a freak.

Perhaps it’s natural decline...except for Morgan, he must be injured.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Remember they finished 8th last year & scraped into finals by the skin of their teeth.

They then managed to string some good games together to make the GF, on the back of Morgan being a freak.

Perhaps it’s natural decline...except for Morgan, he must be injured.

They were down by 8 against Wests with 7 minutes to go in round 25 and then a brain dead shoulder charge by Chee Kam on Morgan after he’d kicked the ball dead got them a penalty. They scored 2 tries in 2 minutes to win. Then the Steelers did their usual choke the week later.

They fell into 8th when they never should have been in the picture. Like parramatta coming 4th it was probably the worst thing for them long term as it gave them the belief they were a lot better then they are.

Card Shark

Immortal
They were down by 8 against Wests with 7 minutes to go in round 25 and then a brain dead shoulder charge by Chee Kam on Morgan after he’d kicked the ball dead got them a penalty. They scored 2 tries in 2 minutes to win. Then the Steelers did their usual choke the week later.

They fell into 8th when they never should have been in the picture. Like parramatta coming 4th it was probably the worst thing for them long term as it gave them the belief they were a lot better then they are.

Don’t remember that part of the story! They sure got lucky...their luck has run out.

I thought if we beat the cowboys in week 1 of the finals, the road would open up to the grand final.

Alas, we weren’t good enough to take advantage.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Cows fans won't like this opinion probably but that run to the finals/GF last year has really done a number on them, both mentally (as Mackey says above) and physically. They gut checked the shit out of that run of wins, and while they did get lucky with Merge tripping over their own feet, they still showed in every game that they would be pushing themselves to the limit under great duress to stay competitive. In retrospect, this proved to be a poor decision.

Sure you can't expect them to just keel over and die in front of their fans in a finals series, but a tad bit of foresight from Green wouldn't have gone astray either. Making your players physically belt themselves to make a GF they can't possibly win was always going to have repercussions. The nosedive decline of Thurston has just made things worse.

Exsilium

First Grade
I’d prefer it if no Queensland teams made the finals.

That being said I agree with most here in saying that they look a tired team and down on confidence. They could also do with a new seven and fullback. Maybe a couple props....maybe a new look side.

beave

Coach
IBM’s logic ‘dont try and win during the finals NQ, you’re just wasting your time.....’

One of your best mate.

I agree that making the finals has probably inflated some players ego but f**k me, if you’re lucky enough to scrape into the 8, you have to have a crack at it.

Green has relied on the same core group of guys for nearly 5 seasons. He’s only really brought a handful of young guys through the system and into regular first grade during his tenure in NQ, but he’s been pretty successful so its a double edged sword I guess. Fingers crossed he starts blooding a few kids (i dont think he has a choice now that origin is upon us and a few will no doubt undeservedly get selected) and we see what we have at the club.

Been through way worse shit than this, doesn’t waver mine or any other NQ fans support for the club, just makes you enjoy the brief good times a bit more down the track.

This Year?

Immortal
IBM’s logic ‘dont try and win during the finals NQ, you’re just wasting your time.....’

One of your best mate.

I agree that making the finals has probably inflated some players ego but f**k me, if you’re lucky enough to scrape into the 8, you have to have a crack at it.

Green has relied on the same core group of guys for nearly 5 seasons. He’s only really brought a handful of young guys through the system and into regular first grade during his tenure in NQ, but he’s been pretty successful so its a double edged sword I guess. Fingers crossed he starts blooding a few kids (i dont think he has a choice now that origin is upon us and a few will no doubt undeservedly get selected) and we see what we have at the club.

Been through way worse shit than this, doesn’t waver mine or any other NQ fans support for the club, just makes you enjoy the brief good times a bit more down the track.
This is something that fans of the privileged clubs don't get. The time in the sun is brief for some and should be celebrated for a lifetime. Every time I see a Broncos fan lay the slipper into the Cowboys it just makes me smile because of the saltiness and butthurt 2015 has caused.

thorson1987

Coach
Cows fans won't like this opinion probably but that run to the finals/GF last year has really done a number on them, both mentally (as Mackey says above) and physically. They gut checked the shit out of that run of wins, and while they did get lucky with Merge tripping over their own feet, they still showed in every game that they would be pushing themselves to the limit under great duress to stay competitive. In retrospect, this proved to be a poor decision.

Sure you can't expect them to just keel over and die in front of their fans in a finals series, but a tad bit of foresight from Green wouldn't have gone astray either. Making your players physically belt themselves to make a GF they can't possibly win was always going to have repercussions. The nosedive decline of Thurston has just made things worse.

Billy-Madison-1.gif

Card Shark

Immortal

One of your best mate.

The best!

They’ve had a whole offseason to get over any tiredness.

They pretty much jagged a finals appearance & then jagged a grand final appearance...now the truth is coming out.

Having said that, they should be going a lot better than they are.

Hutty1986

Immortal

How do you make the finals once in 7 years and have a 'usual choke'? Thats a new one.