What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Bellamy: We must fight to keep our stars

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24031394-5016527,00.html
We must fight to keep our stars

By Craig Bellamy | July 17, 2008 12:00am

RUGBY union in France supposedly emerged this week as the No. 1 threat to the NRL.

Don't be fooled. In my opinion, the English Super League remains our biggest challenge in keeping our star players.

Yes, Mark Gasnier will join the likes of Craig Gower and Luke Rooney in France, as well as those who have gone over to the Australian Rugby Union.

But how many NRL players are already playing in or headed for England?

It used to be fringe first-graders or players coming to the end of their careers who left our shores.

Now we have the likes of Matt King, Michael Crocker and Danny Buderus, all current rep players, playing - or soon to be playing - in England.

GASNIER

IT was disappointing to hear Mark will leave the NRL at the end of the year.

Disappointing for St George Illawarra, NSW, Australia and the game in general.

With Danny Buderus leaving for England next year, Mark would have been the front-runner to replace him as NSW captain next year, given what I saw in camp during this year's State of Origin series.

He would have made an exceptional Blues leader.

I've heard the argument that it does not matter too much if we lose Mark - there will be others who will come along to replace him.

But how long can we rely on this talent well for? Eventually it will dry up.

We need to act now so the likes of Israel Folau, Greg Inglis and Billy Slater, as well as Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt, Jarryd Hayne and Krisnan Inu - all exciting play- ers and future targets for our competitors - stay in the NRL.

THE PAY ISSUE

THE game needs to find more money for its stars.

It is the only football code in the world that pays its stars less now than it did 10 years ago.

Albeit that was largely the result of the Super League war, but nevertheless, in what other occupation do you see salaries decrease over that time? None.

Our elite players in the game are now the poor cousins of the other football codes in Australia.

The top-flight players in the other codes, AFL, rugby union and soccer, are paid far more than ours - despite us having the best TV product, which is reflected by ratings.

It is why we're not keeping pace with the other codes.

We need to concede that we've fallen behind and move forward.

THE SOLUTION

SO how do we catch up?

I've heard Ricky Stuart call for a summit. And Tim Sheens' idea of having two marquee players per club.

Both have merit and are good, positive ideas.

One idea I would like to throw into the public domain is the introduction of a loyalty-based salary cap concession.

For example, if a player spends five years at a club, the club would get a 10 per cent salary cap reduction from his contract for the sixth year.

The 10 per cent reduction would continue up until his 10th season when it would be maxed at 50 per cent.

Under this, clubs would be able to pay their more experienced players more and also keep some of their younger stars, while increasing the level of loyalty from all parties.

It is something that can be discussed if a summit is organised - although it needs to be done now, it can't just be talk.

The game is in a tough spot right now and it must be difficult for the NRL hierarchy.

The poker machine taxes coupled with salary cap pressures are causing major headaches. Then there is the TV rights deal, which is not up for negotiation until 2012.

When it is re-negotiated the league must look at splitting the NRL season and Origin series, as well as internationals, into separate entities and selling them as such.

Until then, clubs must simply provide an environment where these guys want to play and succeed. But, should money be the most important thing to them, we will continue to lose out to our rivals.

mave

Coach
Until Bellamy can pick a state side on form, with no bias, then he has no credibility with me.

Latest posts