What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Smith

Collateral

Coach
'Itchy feet' spark a return for former Kiwi forward Butchers beef up with key signings
By MIKE GANDON
March 2, 2005

RUMOUR became reality yesterday when former New Zealand international front rower Craig Smith confirmed he would play for the Thirroul Butchers in the 2005 Illawarra Tooheys League season.

Since Smith completed his playing commitments with English Super League heavyweights Wigan at the end of last season and returned to the Illawarra - where he will manage the Bulli Fruit Shop he purchased a couple of years ago - rumours have persisted in Tooheys League circles that he would play for the Butchers this year.

"Coming back from England with my family last year, I'd retired," Smith said.

"They say you're a long time retired and the Butchers gave me the opportunity to come down and train with them a couple of times. Perhaps they knew something that I didn't at the time, that I was going to get itchy feet.

"After going to a couple of training sessions and realising what a good bunch of blokes they are and what a good time I probably would have playing with them, I've decided to lace the boots up again.

"I'm quite happy about it. I've been enjoying myself down at training, (coach) Brett Jones has been really good, there's no pressure."

Smith will not receive payment, playing purely for the love of the game and an opportunity to put something back into the community where he lives and works.

In an illustrious rugby league career at the elite level, Smith played for Canterbury, South Sydney, Illawarra, St George Illawarra and Wigan, along with achieving representative honours with New Zealand and Rest of the World on the international stage and Queensland State of Origin.

Thirroul president Aiden Beath said the Butchers had also gained former Illawarra, St George Illawarra, South Sydney and London Broncos forward Andrew Hart together with ex-Dapto premiership-winning halfback Paul Crawford and former Southern Division back rower Mark Corrigan from Camden.

Hart grew up in Thirroul but played his junior football with Wests Illawarra and now is looking forward to competing alongside many of his childhood friends in the famous blue and white.

A serious knee injury while playing for London last year meant a reconstruction but Hart is confident of turning out with the Butchers fairly early in the season, which kicks off on April 1. "My knee's nowhere near right at the moment and I've still got a couple of months work on it but I'll be playing as soon as I possibly can," Hart said.

The Butchers' first game shapes up as a blockbuster against Port Kembla at Noel Mulligan Oval on Sunday, April 3. Thirroul remain hopeful that former Kangaroo, NSW, St George, St George Illawarra and Western Reds utility star Brad Mackay may also turn out for the Butchers.

Versatile back rower Pat Ginty, who played in Thirroul's 2003 premiership-wining team, has returned to the Butchers. Thirroul's main losses are 2003 Tooheys League player of the year and skipper, Aaron Beath, who is now with Wests Magpies in Sydney, and centre/lock Nigel Daniels to Picton in Group Six.

http://illawarramercury.com.au/articles/2005/03/02/1109700494229.html

In an illustrious rugby league career at the elite level, Smith played for Canterbury, South Sydney, Illawarra, St George Illawarra and Wigan, along with achieving representative honours with New Zealand and Rest of the World on the international stage and Queensland State of Origin.

Thirroul president Aiden Beath said the Butchers had also gained former Illawarra, St George Illawarra, South Sydney and London Broncos forward Andrew Hart together with ex-Dapto premiership-winning halfback Paul Crawford and former Southern Division back rower Mark Corrigan from Camden.

Sounds like they're in for a good season.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Stuff that, come back to Dragons!

He may still be playing for us if he wasn't forced out by the judicery. I will never forget that disgraceful decision was he 'struck' Walters in the nose & was suspended for 6 weeks. Every man & his dog could see it was accidental

Dragon_psa

First Grade
I miss Smithy - he was unfairly picked on by the judiciary for a running style he had used since his 1st grade debut. He was an inspirational leader and I would gladly have him back.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Totally agree. He was targetted and after that everything he did was amplified ten fold.

The days of Jim Hall and media knee-jerk judiciary.

excuse the pun