What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Credit Where it's Due

Jeffles

Bench
I have criticised many fledgling RL organisations for a lack of "homeland" work. So when there is some homeland work, I must acknowledge it.

RLR reports that the Greek RL are looking to start a touch footy comp in Greece. This will be the first step in getting RL there. Touch will ease people into using an oval ball.

If this is true, good for the Greeks.

Big Bunny

Juniors
I think that it was always likely that Greece would be moving at a faster pace than the other Aussie based teams, just on the ability and past history of the people involved. It's a good move by them to start with touch, I just hope that it doesn't result in union interest as has happened with most touch associations around the world. Maybe a more league specific game like tag should be the vehicle used to introduce the game though.

Costaki

Juniors
i have the hole article at my web site. www.greekrugbyleague.cjb.net. i have also a article on a young talented greek rugby league player stuart philpott. also join the newsletter, join the forum and become a greek rugby league fan

DIEHARD

----
League Tag is the way to go. Both in the schools and used as a tool to create awareness and getting supporters more involved in the sport.

griff

Bench
Big Bunny said:
I think that it was always likely that Greece would be moving at a faster pace than the other Aussie based teams, just on the ability and past history of the people involved. It's a good move by them to start with touch, I just hope that it doesn't result in union interest as has happened with most touch associations around the world. Maybe a more league specific game like tag should be the vehicle used to introduce the game though.

This is a good idea. As I said a week or two ago, Rugby League should be using touch as an expansion vehicle a lot more. I think union capitalises on the interest in touch purely in the absence of any structure for people to then move onto full contact RL if they wish. If there is some RL for them to move onto, then they will. If not, they will move to union.

Tag is a better game, but Touch is well known internationally with thousands of people playing, so I reckon stick with touch as a way to get people into RL - bigger base to work from.

It would even work in emerging states as well as emerging nations. Thousands of people in Vic, SA, Tas all play touch and this should be a base on which to build RL.

Latest posts