What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Pommy

Coach
Are you able to shoot people trying to run away, in self defence?

You are if they are also armed and you say your belief was they were just repositioning.
You do not need to be punched, shot etc first to claim self defence.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
You are if they are also armed and you say your belief was they were just repositioning.
You do not need to be punched, shot etc first to claim self defence.

That is because you don't need to be hit, or shot to be assaulted. ;)

And they don't need to be armed, just a reasonable belief that they were armed (a police favourite for executing people).

Shooting someone in the back running away at 100m is going to be a difficult self defense case, though. :)

Pommy

Coach
That is because you don't need to be hit, or shot to be assaulted. ;)

And they don't need to be armed, just a reasonable belief that they were armed (a police favourite for executing people).

Shooting someone in the back running away at 100m is going to be a difficult self defense case, though. :)

Don’t let them run 100m then

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Oh, not that it means anything, but after seeing the people Stokes punched took a bottle and attacked people before Stokes punched anyone, I was surprised that the Crown prosecuted. The Crown knew they had problems with the self defense aspect when they didn't charge for assault.

I'm not even that experienced with criminal law myself. I'm more contracts, torts and equity.

I called this case a loser from a long way out. I saw the problems with Stokes' case, but at the end of the day, can you trust anyone in the heat of the moment who has just attacked someone with a bottle just because they're walking backwards slowly?

If they had turned away and ran away, and Stokes chased after - that would be a different matter altogether.

The Crown wasted not only tax payer money, but Ben Stokes' money.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Oh, not that it means anything, but after seeing the people Stokes punched took a bottle and attacked people before Stokes punched anyone, I was surprised that the Crown prosecuted. The Crown knew they had problems with the self defense aspect when they didn't charge for assault.

I'm not even that experienced with criminal law myself. I'm more contracts, torts and equity.

I called this case a loser from a long way out. I saw the problems with Stokes' case, but at the end of the day, can you trust anyone in the heat of the moment who has just attacked someone with a bottle just because they're walking backwards slowly?

If they had turned away and ran away, and Stokes chased after - that would be a different matter altogether.

The Crown wasted not only tax payer money, but Ben Stokes' money.

A normal person probably wouldn’t have even been taken to court.
The CPS probably knew they had no case but didn’t want to be seen going easy on a celebrity. It was far easier for them to waste taxpayers money and let a jury do their job for them.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
A normal person probably wouldn’t have even been taken to court.
The CPS probably knew they had no case but didn’t want to be seen going easy on a celebrity. It was far easier for them to waste taxpayers money and let a jury do their job for them.

Yeah, we'd hope not, but - a regular person may have just suffered a regular police determined prosecution instead of the full resources of the Crown thrown at them before even charging but without Stokes' resources of getting a QC to ultimately vindicate by not taking an early settlement plea.

Justice for the rich comes at an unfair cost.

Justice for the poor doesn't always exist.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
You're right, it's not comparible, it's infinitely worse.

Look, I'm actually happy that he's been found not guilty in the courts, but I definitely think that there needs to be a bigger on-field consequence for his actions. He absolutely punched two guys. A member I am now ignoring once tried to argue that David Warner giving Joe Root a love-tap in a bar made him the worst human being in cricket...well that was outside the game, and I'm not arguing that Warner isn't a f**kwit, but Stokes has done much worse here. The ECB have been spineless in allowing him to play IMO.

As I said before it's about image as much as anything. He may not be guilty of affray, but there is clear video footage of him punching two blokes lights out. How does that not bring the game into disrepute? Walk away. It was completely unnecessary.

There is a huge inconsistency in the way that indiscretions are punished in cricket, I suppose is my gripe. If it was Warner there'd be calls for a life ban from all quarters.

Lol. David Warner unprovoked, attacks Joe Root for wearing a wig around his chin, and doesn't even get the job done (on Joe Root???? 'for looking like Amla') - and Ben Stokes is allegedly worse for defending some gay guys from being bottled by a former a soldier and his mate cos Stokes gets the job done and lands his punches?

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Warner instructed his team to use SANDPAPER on the field of a test on a cricket ball.

Ben Stokes used self defense on a soldier and his mate attacking people with a bottle.

Warner can't even successfully knock out Joe Root ("love tap" my ass - this isn't a Bairstow headbutt love tap - Warner was banned and lucky nice guy Root didn't press for charges laid). Stokes beats up a soldier in self defense and his mate who have a bottle as a weapon.

Get over it. Stokes is not only the bigger man, he's the alpha male of this contest. If I get attacked by some former soldier and his mate, I want Ben Stokes in my corner, not David "I missed Joe Root but I got sandpaper" Warner.

David Warner has serious cricketing talent. But like Martin Crowe said years ago - does cricket need David Warner:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/821891.html

Warner can play, but he is the most juvenile cricketer I have seen on a cricket field. I don't care how good he is: if he continues to show all those watching that he doesn't care, he must be removed, either by Cricket Australia or definitely by the world governing body.

The more he gets away with it, the more others will follow his pitiful actions. Already we see one or two of his team-mates enjoying being close to his hideous energy.

What must the talk be in the opposition dressing rooms about how to combat this daily occurrence? Do you stand up for yourself when confronted with Warner's spit and expletives or do you turn a blind eye? I dread to think, and it shouldn't be a choice. The officials must step in now.

Though Pulp Fiction may have been ever better if Marcel Wallace instead of having guys with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch had David Warner and some Australian cricketers with some sandpaper instead.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Lol, anti-brain acting as if he was an eye witness at both incidents.

What a nutter.

As much of a witness as Bazal was ;)

Stokes has been found 'not guilty' for defending people from an attack with a bottle by punching them. To now suggest his actions are worse and in need of further sanction more than David Warner's past indiscretions seems rather ridiculous to me.

Whether you like it or not.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Aus A series: All you need to know
A strong Australia A one-day squad will to take on India A to kick-start the quad series

samuel-ferris.ashx

Sam Ferris
16 August 2018

What's happening?

Australia A, South Africa A and two Indian teams (India A and B) will compete in a quadrangular series of one-day matches in Vijayawada. Teams play two matches against each opponent before the top two sides meet in a final.

When is it?

The first match is tomorrow, August 17, when Australia A face India A. The final is set for August 29.

QUICK SINGLE
subjectCalm heads plot Australia's Asian future
Who's in the squads?

Australia A: Travis Head (c), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Peter Handscomb, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Joel Paris, Matthew Renshaw, Jhye Richardson, D'Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Mitch Swepson, Chris Tremain, Jack Wildermuth

South Africa A: Temba Bavuma, Farhaan Behardien, Gihahn Cloete, Theunis de Bruyn, Robbie Frylinck, Beuran Hendricks, Sisanda Magala, Pieter Malan, Senuran Muthusamy, Dane Paterson, Dwaine Pretorius, Rudi Second, Tabraiz Shamsi, Malusi Siboto, Khaya Zondo

India A: Shreyas Iyer (c), Khaleel Ahmed, Deepak Chahar, Krishnappa Gowtham, Siddhesh Lad, Mayank Markande, Mohammed Siraj, Krunal Pandya, Nitish Rana, Ravikumar Samarth, Sanju Samson, Prithvi Shaw, Shivam Mavi, Hanuma Vihari, Suryakumar Yadav

India B: Manish Pandey (c), Mayank Agarwal, Ricky Bhui, Abhimanyu Easwaran, Shreyas Gopal, Deepak Hooda, Ishan Kishan, Dharmendrasinh Jadeja, Siddarth Kaul, Kulwant Khejroliya, Pradish Krishna, Navdeep Saini, Shubman Gill, Jayant Yadav, Vijay Shankar

Who should I watch out for?

Towering quick Billy Stanlake has come on in leaps and bounds in the past 12 months after recovering from a toe injury that saw him miss the start of last summer. He's fit again after breaking a finger in the IPL and his pace and height will be a huge asset for the Australians.

Temba Bavuma is now a Test regular for the Proteas and looks to be the lynchpin in the South Africa A middle order. He now was 31 Tests under his belt and is the class batsman in the squad, and the sight of him taking on Stanlake – who stands 42cm taller – will be an interesting one. It'll be cricket's version of David versus Goliath, but heart trumps size any day and Bavuma has plenty of that.

For the hosts, it's hard to look past skippers Shreyas Iyer and Manish Pandey, two players with international experience and first-class averages above 50. Prithvi Shaw, at just 18, is an exciting talent who has seven centuries in 14 first-class matches.

While it's one-day cricket, it will be fascinating to see how Australia A's batsmen play spin bowling. A lot has been made about Australia's susceptibility to quality spin bowling and this series will be another chance for the tourists to prove the doubters wrong. Batsmen Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Travis Head and Matthew Renshaw will be pushing their case for a Test selection to the UAE, and good performances here and in the following four-day series will be worth their weight in gold.

QUICK SINGLE
Australia A Tour of India

Australia A one-day squad: Travis Head (c), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Peter Handscomb, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Joel Paris, Matthew Renshaw, Jhye Richardson, D'Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Mitch Swepson, Chris Tremain, Jack Wildermuth

Schedule

One-day fixtures in Vijayawada

17 August v India A

19 August v South Africa A

21 August v India B

23 August v India A

25 August v South Africa A

27 August v India B

29 August - Quad-Series Final

Australia A four-day squad: Mitchell Marsh (c), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Brendan Doggett, Peter Handscomb, Travis Head, Jon Holland, Usman Khawaja, Michael Neser, Joel Paris, Kurtis Patterson, Matthew Renshaw, Mitch Swepson, Chris Tremain

Four-day fixtures in Vizag

2-5 September v India A

8-11 September v India A

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...w-stanlake-bavuma-pandey-shaw-iyer/2018-08-16

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've never seen anything from Paris to suggest he is anything more than a grade cricketer. I just don't get why he keeps getting picked.

Bazal

Post Whore
I've never seen anything from Paris to suggest he is anything more than a grade cricketer. I just don't get why he keeps getting picked.

FC bowling average of 19 and a List A bowling average of 21 might have something to do with it.

His issue is that like many of our next-level-down quicks, he can't string more than a few games together. He's 25 and only played 7 FC matches because he's always injured. It's certainly not a question of him not having the talent, he's taken 40 wickets in those 7 matches.

Good to see Head given the C too

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
maybe he'll be one of those bowlers who get FC wickets but will never make the step up

just watching him bowl he looks so ordinary

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Good too see Tremain get a run in both squads, had some pace with height and bounce. Can see him being good enough for the next level.