What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket quiz

Azkatro

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
Heres a fairly easy one:

Who has the fastest 200 in test cricket history?

Astle's 200 was brought up in 153 deliveries. Apparently the second hundred took just 39 balls. And it was against England in 2000-2001 :)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
madunit said:
PARRA_FAN said:
Heres a fairly easy one:

fastest how-by balls faced or by mins?

balls faced, although Bradman holds the record in terms of minutes

Azkatro said:
PARRA_FAN said:
Heres a fairly easy one:

Astle's 200 was brought up in 153 deliveries. Apparently the second hundred took just 39 balls. And it was against England in 2000-2001 :)

correct, it was in Christchurch 2001-02. Now in that same match and same innings of Astles 200, whats the significance of New Zealands total?

Azkatro

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
correct, it was in Christchurch 2001-02. Now in that same match and same innings of Astles 200, whats the significance of New Zealands total?

451 - Highest ever fourth innings total to lose the match.

Now for my next question... the setting is 1982's Boxing Day Ashes test match. Australia is chasing 292 for victory in the fourth innings, but a collapse on the fourth day sees them reeling at 9/218. It was late in the day and tailender Jeff Thompson joined Allan Border at the crease (both Queenslanders I might add :) ). Most of us know what ensued; they reached 9/255 by the close of play. They travelled with utmost caution at the commencement of day five, and every run they scored was greeted with a huge roar from the crowd. They were within 4 runs of victory when Ian Botham started his 26th over. The first ball was short and Thommo had a half-hearted play at it - he nicked it to second slip, and after a juggle from the English fielders, the match was lost.

Who was it that was credited with that heartstopping catch? For a bonus 40 billion points, name the two captains of that match.

Azkatro

First Grade
I'm just reading the ball-by-ball commentary from the England/NZ match where Astle carved them up, interestingly he got the bulk of his second 100 when England had the new ball.

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...RECARDS/ENG_NZ_T1_13-17MAR2002_BBB-COMMS.html

Scroll down close to the bottom, it's best to read from just before Astle gets his ton. Example:

84.5 Caddick to Astle, SIX, UNBELIEVABLE! an incredible display of
hitting from Astle, down the track to a full ball outside off
stump, destroys it over extra cover, lands on the roof of the No 2
stand and there's a long delay as they try to find the ball
57 runs from 3.5 overs with the new ball, this commentator
professes to never having seen such destruction in any form of
cricket match in person, this is breathtaking stuff
the ball is lost for good and they bring on a replacement, umpire
Bowden rubs it into the pitch to simulate a 3.5 overs old ball

*Paul*

Juniors
Geoff Miller took the catch, running in behind Chris Tavare who had fumbled it. GS Chappell and Willis the capitanos.

Who has played the most Tests without suffering a loss?

Anonymous

Juniors
Bradman 214 mins, as opposed to Astle's 217.

Yeah, how did they manage to get through the overs so quickly back in the old days?? All the reports of old games I've read have had me scratching my head, because it seems like they must have been getting through 25 or 30 overs an hour.

Anonymous

Juniors
84.5 Caddick to Astle, SIX, UNBELIEVABLE! an incredible display of
hitting from Astle, down the track to a full ball outside off
stump, destroys it over extra cover, lands on the roof of the No 2
stand and there's a long delay as they try to find the ball
57 runs from 3.5 overs with the new ball, this commentator
professes to never having seen such destruction in any form of
cricket match in person, this is breathtaking stuff
the ball is lost for good and they bring on a replacement, umpire
Bowden rubs it into the pitch to simulate a 3.5 overs old ball

Yeah, but how about this from Caddick's next over?

86.1 Caddick to Astle, SIX, UNBELIEVABLE! charges down the track, picks
a ball on the up and smacks it hard and flat over extra cover,
barely off the ground all the way, his sixth six
86.2 Caddick to Astle, SIX, UNBELIEVABLE! Astle is in sensational form,
short rising ball, hooks this one over square leg, very flat but
all the way, wide of the man posted just behind square
86.3 Caddick to Astle, SIX, UNBELIEVABLE! *speechless stuff* down the
track to a full ball outside off stump, sends it a country mile
over long on, an almighty hit of biblical proportions
time for another replacement ball it seems, that one's out lost
too, this new new ball lasts only 1.4 overs this time
Hussain talks to the umpires, heaven knows what about, and drinks
are taken

Azkatro

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:

Yeah, how did they manage to get through the overs so quickly back in the old days?? All the reports of old games I've read have had me scratching my head, because it seems like they must have been getting through 25 or 30 overs an hour.

The fact that Astle had two balls lost, plus wickets falling around him, probably didn't help his cause either.

*Paul*

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:

As an example, the most runs scored by a team in one day is 721 by Australia v Essex 1948
http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...S/1948/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ESSEX_15-17MAY1948.html

This was done in 5h 48m on the first day - 129 overs were bowled. And there would been a lot of leather chasing in that one.

Azkatro

First Grade
*Paul* said:
Geoff Miller took the catch, running in behind Chris Tavare who had fumbled it. GS Chappell and Willis the capitanos.

Who has played the most Tests without suffering a loss?

Your answer is right, as well as the bonus portion. So now you're 40 billion points up on the rest of us :)

I'm stumped on your question though. I was going to guess Colin Miller but I looked him up and he's been involved in a couple of losses. So I don't really know.

Azkatro

First Grade
Aha - found the bugger! Rajesh Chauhan, 21 tests in the aforementioned period without a defeat. Wouldn't have found him without that clue, though.

Next q ... Who was the main destroyer for Victoria - scoring 352 - in their world record innings of 1107 in December 1926 against NSW? This man went on to break his own record against Queensland with a score of 437 in February 1927.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
the one, the only W.H.Ponsford.

We'll keep the questions easy eh?

Who is the youngest player to score a Test century?

*Paul*

Juniors
I guessed at Mushtaq, turns out he was surpassed by Mohammad Ashraful
16y 362d

Who has had the most Test innings as Number 11?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't Walsh start out batting at 10?

I wouldn't be surprised if McGrath is up there.

Latest posts