What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket quiz

*Paul*

Juniors
Since PF hasn't posed a Dorothy Dixer, I'll have a another go.

Who the was original victim of a "Mankad"
i.e. was run out in a Test at the bowlers end by Vinoo Mankad (he was backing up too far)
This incident led to this type of dismissal being called a Mankad.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
No idea,

but I read somewhere that Bill Brown was a victim of Mankad, not sure if he was the first.

The Colonel

Immortal
Bill Brown was the first and the second victim of Vinno Mankad.

Interesting fact that Mankad was extremely distressed in later life when mankaded became a cricketing term.

Azkatro

First Grade
Colonel Eel said:
Bill Brown was the first and the second victim of Vinno Mankad.

Interesting fact that Mankad was extremely distressed in later life when mankaded became a cricketing term.

Yeah I can appreciate why ... back when I played indoor cricket a guy in our team - the fiery one who always got himself in trouble with umpires, other players etc... used to be big on the mankads. Most of the time the umpires had no choice but to give the batsmen out, and when they didn't, it was generally the wrong decision. All it did was create hatred among the teams and umpies :lol: So I can see why that poor Mankad bloke was upset :lol:

Azkatro

First Grade
Fairy muff, then. I might kick off some Who Am I's, one line at a time to make it interesting ... one guess per clue only, and they're not too hard to try answering without looking s(#&%t up!

I was born in Canberra in 1970 but made my first-class debut for South Australia before making my name in New South Wales.

Anonymous

Juniors
This guy;

inline

Anonymous

Juniors
I am 89.7% sure my answer is correct so I'm going to post my question.

I was born on the 28th of May 1966, and started out as a club cricketer for Balmain in the Sydney competition. I have represented both Tasmania and New South Wales in sheffeild sheild cricket. I went on to make my test debut in 1997/98 against India in Chennai. In my 4 tests I amassed a high score of 57 and a best bowling of 4/72. I also played 13 ODI's for Australia. I am......

Azkatro

First Grade
Assuming Parra_Fan is right (which I think he is, too)...

I hold the dubious honour of scoring the first duck in Test cricket, playing in the game's maiden Test match for Australia in 1876-77. My brother played in the same Test as captain. I was a member of a famous cricketing family and my son played 50 Tests. After retiring, I became curator of the Sydney Cricket Ground and designed the oval's first scoreboard. Who am I?

*Paul*

Juniors
Azkatro said:
too)...

I hold the dubious honour of scoring the first duck in Test cricket <...> Who am I?

Ned Gregory - I guessed at Dave Gregory.

Ten sets of initials, ten Test cricketers. Who are they

MHN
EAE
DCS
FMM
PJL
CPS
WPUJC
SFAF
TBA
RGD

Azkatro

First Grade
*Paul* said:

MHN
EAE
DCS
FMM
PJL
CPS
WPUJC
SFAF
TBA
RGD

Yours was right. And far out! Can you give us any hints? eg nationality.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
*Paul* said:
Azkatro said:
too)...

I hold the dubious honour of scoring the first duck in Test cricket <...> Who am I?

MHN
EAE
DCS
FMM
PJL
CPS
WPUJC
SFAF
TBA
RGD

MHN Walker (Australia)
EAE Baptiste (West Indies)
DCS Compton (England)
FMM Worrell (West Indies)
PJL Dujon (West Indies)
CPS Chauhan (India)
WPUJC Vaas (Sri Lanka)
SFAF Bacchus (West Indies)
TBA May (Australia)
RGD Willis (England)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the highest total of runs scored by a test playing nation which did not have any byes in the total. 200 points fro telling me the two teams and a bonus 1256984.63 points if you can tell me who the wicketkeeper it was who had the 'clean sheet'.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
New Zealand scored 671 runs against Sri Lanka in 1991 at Wellington with no byes. The keeper was Sri Lanka's Hashan Tillakaratne