What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Trivia

Timbo

Staff member
Ashton Turner. FC debut vs Sussex for a tour squad in Hove.

Ed Cowan was captain.

We have a winner!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-australia-tour-of-england-and-scotland-2013/

Ashton Turner was part of a CA developmental deal for a small group of young players, training with Sussex and playing club cricket as the overseas pro.

This tour match was between the second and third test, We'd been belted in both, spent over 400 overs in the field and had also played two four-day matches against Somerset and Worcestershire to start the tour. Clarke (c) and Haddin (vc) both needed a rest due to niggling injuries, and when other over-worked players were factored in, we only had 10 fit players to take the field. Cowan was seen as the most senior player - despite having played what would be his final test during the opening match of the Ashes - and named captain, and Turner was seen to be the most well developed of the players sent to Sussex. Did not bat in either innings, and sent down four overs of offies and took 0/16.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
We have a winner!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-australia-tour-of-england-and-scotland-2013/

Ashton Turner was part of a CA developmental deal for a small group of young players, training with Sussex and playing club cricket as the overseas pro.

This tour match was between the second and third test, We'd been belted in both, spent over 400 overs in the field and had also played two four-day matches against Somerset and Worcestershire to start the tour. Clarke (c) and Haddin (vc) both needed a rest due to niggling injuries, and when other over-worked players were factored in, we only had 10 fit players to take the field. Cowan was seen as the most senior player - despite having played what would be his final test during the opening match of the Ashes - and named captain, and Turner was seen to be the most well developed of the players sent to Sussex. Did not bat in either innings, and sent down four overs of offies and took 0/16.

Best trivia question I have seen. I searched for all the spin bowlers post Warnie as I thought this would be it, but Turner was not on the lists as they were tests only.

Well done TImbo!

Outstanding trivia question.

TheParraboy

Staff member
We have a winner!

totally stumped me

undertaker

Coach
Haven't posted in this thread for a while, so here we go!

Of the 145 test matches Shane Warne played, there was one test match where he never bowled a single ball.

Who was it against, and why didn't he bowl?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Haven't posted in this thread for a while, so here we go!

Of the 145 test matches Shane Warne played, there was one test match where he never bowled a single ball.

Who was it against, and why didn't he bowl?
Is that the one where Waqar broke his toe?? Sydney 95/96???

undertaker

Coach
Is that the one where Waqar broke his toe?? Sydney 95/96???

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because the first sentence is correct, it was against Pakistan and Waqar Younis broke his toe.

However, it was the 2nd test in Hobart, not the 3rd in Sydney.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...n-2nd-test-pakistan-tour-of-australia-1995-96

Warne continued on to bat, hitting 3 sixes of Mushtaq Ahmed IIRC. However, after the first day, he took no further part in the test match.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because the first sentence is correct, it was against Pakistan and Waqar Younis broke his toe.

However, it was the 2nd test in Hobart, not the 3rd in Sydney.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...n-2nd-test-pakistan-tour-of-australia-1995-96

Warne continued on to bat, hitting 3 sixes of Mushtaq Ahmed IIRC. However, after the first day, he took no further part in the test match.
Whoops, Yeah got hurt the second test and missed the third which we lost.

Mark Taylor scored one of the most boring test centuries of all time that test as well.

undertaker

Coach
Won this at my local cricket club raffle, went straight to the pool room

how many can you name ?

Phil Emery, Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh, Kevin Roberts (new CEO of CA), Glenn McGrath, Anthony Stuart, Shane Lee, David Freedman, Gavin Robertson

Looking at that squad and the Fosters Light Ice sponsor, this must've been from around 1997-99.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Whoops, Yeah got hurt the second test and missed the third which we lost.

Mark Taylor scored one of the most boring test centuries of all time that test as well.

Warney actually played the third test (took 8 wickets but was outdone by Mushtaq Ahmed who took 9 at MOTM), don't you remember the famous last ball of day 3 that he bowled to Basit Ali?

And regarding Tubby Taylor's boring century:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Warney actually played the third test (took 8 wickets but was outdone by Mushtaq Ahmed who took 9 at MOTM), don't you remember the famous last ball of day 3 that he bowled to Basit Ali?

And regarding Tubby Taylor's boring century:

Mate I must be losing my mind, I do remember Mushie cleaning us up and getting Blewett with a cracker of a wrong un through the gate.

undertaker

Coach
Mate I must be losing my mind, I do remember Mushie cleaning us up and getting Blewett with a cracker of a wrong un through the gate.

LOL, now you remind me, Mushtaq had a brilliant wrong un, much like Abdul Qadir. Got Steve Waugh with a wrong un' through the gate in the same test as well.

Miss the days when the SCG was a spinner's paradise. Much better than the flat tracks that have been dished up for more than a decade. Methinks the curators need to find and relay more Bulli soil.

_snafu_

Immortal
Phil Emery, Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh, Kevin Roberts (new CEO of CA), Glenn McGrath, Anthony Stuart, Shane Lee, David Freedman, Gavin Robertson

Looking at that squad and the Fosters Light Ice sponsor, this must've been from around 1997-99.

Rhys Soper, Jeremy Bray and I think Stuart Clark.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

well done but missed an easy one, just under the Light Ice logo on the left is Brad Haddin. That's about as many as I could get, The timing was well into the naughties, cant remember exactly when but we (my team) did win the GF that year from memory so probabaly around 2006-2008, guessing