What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Criteria for all time teams

TheDalek079

Bench
So the Sharks recently named their all time team of their first 50 years. In it was James "one season here" Maloney, and Valentine "21 years old, and played 2 and a quarter seasons" Holmes.

Meanwhile, at Lottoland (lol), Ben Kennedy is in the Manly great team despite being there only two seasons, and I think my fellow Rooster fans would quite happily slot SBW into our greatest side off the back of two marvellous seasons

These instances got me thinking. I wasn't sure if it was right to pick people after one or two seasons at a club. What do you think? Is it ok? What criteria do you use? Do you factor in performance at other clubs? Longevity? If they play too long and have a shitty season at the end does that count against them?

thorson1987

Coach
I'd be happy with a 100 game cut off.

And only performance at that club.

Shitty season at the end should never count either.

TheDalek079

Bench
If we go with a 100 game cut off, then DallyM and Dave Brown would be ineligible for the Roosters team, and that doesn't seem right. Maybe say five seasons instead?

5 seasons? This was the Roosters Team of the Century (not to be confused with "The Centurions" which was announced in 2010 and was comprised from players who had played 100 or more games for the club), which was announced back in 2000 -

1. Russel Fairfax
2. Bill Mullins
3. Dally Messenger
4. Dave Brown
5. Lionel Cooper
6. Brad Fittler
7. Viv Thicknesse
8. Ray Stehr
9. Sandy Pearce
10. Arthur Beetson
11. Ron Coote
12. Joe Pearce
13. Andy Norval
14. Kevin Hastings
15. Jack Beaton
16. Jack Watkins
17. Bunny Reilly.

Coach: Jack Gibson.

Now out of the above Lionel Cooper would be the one you cut out, as he played only 2 seasons at the Roosters before moving to the UK and playing for Hudderfield from 1947 to 1955. When it comes to wingers, once you take out Bill Mullins, we don't have anyone of real stature to replace him in my book.

If you implemented such a rule in other areas, say Origin, would you say Artie Beetson was not an Origin legend even though he only played the 1 game?

carcharias

Immortal
I said all along they should've just named the entire team that played in 2016 for the sharks.
They were the only blokes to win the bloody thing.

M2D2

Bench
The fans picked the cronulla side.
And BBQ won us a comp. He deserves to be there.

nick87

Coach
To me i dont care how long you were at the club and and at what stage of the career, it comes down to the impact you had for that club and what you did for them
If Cam Smith came in to the Raiders completely busted, played one year and was mostly average, no f**king way im putting him in our GOAT team over Steve Walters despite the fact i think Smith has now over-taken Walters the GOAT modern day hooker, because Smith in such circumstance, didnt do anything for the club, where as Walters did.

But in say that, James Maloney and Mick Ennis were IMO, THE major factors in delivering the Sharks a maiden premiership. How can anyone dispute their contributions to that club? I've got no problem with them or Holmes making their GOAT team if they believe what they contributed trumps what overs have done, they won them the first premiership in history, im not going to argue with anyone from that team... Luke Lewis made it i hope, he's been a huge part in building the culture that lead to that premiership run too

To me it's not about what they did at other clubs or at higher levels. Which is why Ben Kennedy wont ever make my GOAT Raiders team. It's about what they did for your club, in the time they were there

SBW impact on the roosters was profound, i dont have a problem if they wanted to name him in their squad either. But Hayne for example, would not make a Gold Coast GOAT team imo (at least right now)

well, part of the issue of the votes was it was

A. done by position only
B. the fans pick a 13 with no bench
C. Phil Rothfield was on the voting panel. make of that what you will.

for example, guys like Mcgaw, Docking etc missed because 4 of the back 5 were locked in and were so obviously gonna win.
so the other wing spot was down to Rick Bourke, Luke Covell (who I voted for) and Val. Val wins cos he's a premiership player and is young and the votes were done online.

As to Maloney

He won the comp.
Healey, Dykes etc..whilst good club men never made that next level.

The forwards was interesting cos Peirce, Miller and Gal were all automatic selections as well, so guys like Lewis etc missed out.

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
If the Sharks wait ten years and pick their team again McGaw will be there over Holmes.

Walpole

Juniors
not if he's designated as a centre and not a winger

he was eligible in the centres and up against two of the three best players the club has ever had
Rogers and ET I take it. Fair enough. I reckon whoever's coaching this mythical team might find a spot for him on the wing though.

adamkungl

Immortal
Anyone who doesn't pick Maloney in the Sharks team is off their head.
Absolute key player in their first ever premiership.

People are saying Mitch Healy should be in there instead because he plodded for 200something games and achieved f**k all (no offence to Mitch).

Lewis was robbed, should be in there instead of Kimmorley.

Latest posts