What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla A-League Team

Big Sam

First Grade
I clicked on this thinking it was a troll thread regarding the Sharks' recent clean sheets lol.

I really think Canberra, SC Wolves, and Nth Qld II should be given a go before 3rd clubs in Sydney and Melbourne are even considered.

Big Sam

First Grade
Just realised this is a Slothfield article. Even if he's chums with Gallop, it's a bullshit article.

saint.nick

Coach
I clicked on this thinking it was a troll thread regarding the Sharks' recent clean sheets lol.

I really think Canberra, SC Wolves, and Nth Qld II should be given a go before 3rd clubs in Sydney and Melbourne are even considered.

f**k Nth Qld they've already failed, they should be right at the back of the queue again

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'm torn on this.

Half of me thinks it makes sense to cash in on these sizable markets and add to the derbies that have boosted the game immensely in Melbourne and Sydney, but half of me would be sad to see teams like Wollongong, Canberra, Townsville etc missing out.
North QLD Fury failed my friend!

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
I wouldn?t be opposed to a team in Wollongong though, there is massive interest down there and besides the dragons who they share all they have is a basketball team.

Well I thought the logical decision would be to have a South Coast team who play one game at Kogarah and one at Shark Park every season with the rest at Win Stadium, similar to what the Mariners are doing by taking one game each to North Sydney Oval and Brookvale.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Would you just share the team between Cronulla and Wollongong. I don't think the gong has the support to justify a team in the top division, while any 3rd Sydney team really needs that extra bit of support.

While not ideal it's better than having nothing. I'd take it if that was the only choice offered but will still continue to support a South Coast team in its own right.

My only question is this... people on the South Coast don't identify with Sydney and people in the shire don't identify with the Gong. How on earth do you build a club that represents two totally different groups of fans in a way that both feel an affinity to it?

Big Sam

First Grade
The Fury's owner ran out of money and Buckley refused to financially support them. They did not fail. They were averaging 6-7k at the time which is a good base.

The fact that they are the only former A-League club to still exist and draw four-figure crowds in the 2nd division is proof of the desire among fans in Townsville to have a club there.

And anyway I would rather have a club draw 7k in Townsville than 7k in Wellington...

BunniesMan

Immortal
While not ideal it's better than having nothing. I'd take it if that was the only choice offered but will still continue to support a South Coast team in its own right.

My only question is this... people on the South Coast don't identify with Sydney and people in the shire don't identify with the Gong. How on earth do you build a club that represents two totally different groups of fans in a way that both feel an affinity to it?

The dragons managed.

saint.nick

Coach

We're Saints fans. I know, and you should know too!

Mong

Post Whore
There's talk around after the next tv deal of looking at second teams for cities like Brisbane Adelaide and Perth.

I can only speak from what I've seen in Brisbane, until finally winning something, we were getting 6 or 7k to games, after much success it's a bit over double that.

It's taken a lot of success to generate that, where are the fans for another team going to come from? Not too mention quality players that improve the league and not the opposite. I really don't see a WSW type opportunity here.

It seems ludicrous to me that such a thing is even being contemplated for any time in the foreseeable future. The seemingly overwhelming need to expand mindset may well do more harm than good.

jargan83

Coach
Can't see Perth getting another side soon either, there was talk about it during the old NSL when the Glory were getting 15-20k to games but these days the attendance has settled down to something near the 10/11k-ish mark.

Surly an area such as Canberra would be in front of a Perth second side.

Mong

Post Whore
I wouldn't want to see any of the other capitals given a second team as mch as Sydney and Melbourne shouldn't get a third.

The league is a while away from that.

DB

First Grade
I don't think Cronulla would get a team, if anything, Sydney FC would move down south, Maybe to Jubilee Oval.

I still think we are a long way off Expansion, but the FFA cup will show how good or bad the talent pool in Australia is.

Sime_11

Juniors
if another NSW team, needs to be either South Coast Wolves or a Wollong/South Coast creation. Cronulla would just saturate Sydney's market, like others have said, east v west is the way to go, its working.

Brisbane 2 could work, needs to be a geographically different (ie Ipswich or Logan tho Ipswich is way to go IMO) cant be another Melbourne type.

really interested to see what kind of crowd turns up for SCW v CCM in the FFA cup. could give a better understanding if there is market down there.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The idea of expanding via second teams in Adelaide or Perth (who both struggle to draw fans as it is), Melbourne (who only have one team anybody gives a shit about so far), or Sydney/Brisbane seems a bit off when you consider regions like Wollongong, Canberra, Tasmania, North QLD etc are unrepresented.

Sydney FC has a decent contingent of fans from all corners of Sydney. Obviously outnumbered in the West due to the Wanderers but by and large still have a good amount of fans out there who travel to Allianz, myself among them.

I quite enjoy the early morning beers at the Red Cow before making the pilgrimage in, it's one of the main reasons why I still follow Sydney FC. I don't think moving to the St.George/Sutherland area will benefit the club in the long run, it might turn off the fans they do have from the Outer/Inner West.