What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd averages

chileman

Coach
Anyone got any links to the latest crowd averages??? rleague still has last years up and NRL.com doesn't seem to have them???

bender

Juniors
Just a few observations from those figures:

1. Westpac Trust has an impressive average. If the NRL was to continue to have 2 or so games a year, plus they are allocated a test match and maybe a 3rd and deciding origin series their may just be enough interest to start a second NZ team there.

2. All of the joint ventures seem to have an even following at each of their grounds, and all have increased previous crowds of their two individual clubs and maybe they may go on and become quite successful.

3. Auckland have very good crowds. Their place in the competition is obviously unquestionalble now.

4. The Broncos may not be as popular as they used to be but they are still the yardstick and well ahead of the rest in terms of crowds, particularly now that they are back at lang Park.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Further illustrates my point that Melbourne couldn't draw flies to a dump yard. Imagine if they were having a season like Souths???

beast

Juniors
El Duque - Their crowds are poor but I will give them credit for making the 8. Their problem will be when News Ltd removes their interest in the club at the end of this year as per the original SL agreemen tand they have to fend for themselves..they will be pushing shit uphill to make a quid with dodgy crowds and the AFL squeezing them out and a possible Rah Rah team further diluting their dough.

El Diablo

Post Whore
beast said:
El Duque - Their crowds are poor but I will give them credit for making the 8.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with them being based in Victoria as there's no locals in the team and there never will be.

They should be re-located to Perth where at least they do something for RL and no doubt they'd have crowds there to support them.

Alan Shore

First Grade
El Duque said:
beast said:

Yes, but that has nothing to do with them being based in Victoria as there's no locals in the team and there never will be.

They should be re-located to Perth where at least they do something for RL and no doubt they'd have crowds there to support them.

You share the same idiotic short-sightedness as the NRL admin and only serve to bring the demise of rugby league in Australia.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Tamazoid said:
El Duque said:
beast said:

You share the same idiotic short-sightedness as the NRL admin and only serve to bring the demise of rugby league in Australia.

In 6 years they've done NOTHING for RL. Why is it going to change?

Moffo

Referee
el, swans did f**k all for AFL in Sydney before 95-96 when the swans had a PROLONGED good run

Cheers,
Moffo

El Diablo

Post Whore
Moffo said:
el, swans did f**k all for AFL in Sydney before 95-96 when the swans had a PROLONGED good run

Cheers,
Moffo

Moff, Melbourne have already won a GF and it did nothing. Even being regular finalists has failed to capture a fan base or get RL going in Victoria.

It's pointless having them there.

Terminator

First Grade
Melbourne will take at least another ten years to get wide support in Victoria, the Victorians are avid sports fans, much more than us, and will get behind the Storm more in the future, junior development down there is a must, and can be done.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Do clubs waterdown their crowd figures?

I thought there was way more people at the SFS for the Roosters and at Suncorp for the Broncos than stated.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
Do clubs waterdown their crowd figures?

I thought there was way more people at the SFS for the Roosters and at Suncorp for the Broncos than stated.

Two possibilities

1) Clubs(a few/some/many/all?) used to bump up their crowds by a fair bit and now are reporting crowds closer to what actually turn up thus people look at the crowds and think "a couple of years ago this many people was 3000-4000 more than the crowd they just anounced".

2) Clubs(some) may not be including "Free" tickets in their crowd number. And by "Free" i mean free - tickets bought by a company and given away were still bought (maybe the same with tickets give to Sponsors to distribute), tickets received for showing your Membership Card at the Leagues Club would be classed as free.

I can't see 2) being likely so i would go with 1)

;-)

Misty Bee

First Grade
terminator007 said:
Melbourne will take at least another ten years to get wide support in Victoria, the Victorians are avid sports fans, much more than us, and will get behind the Storm more in the future, junior development down there is a must, and can be done.

That is the biggest misconception in Australian sport. Melbournites are the most INSULAR sports fans. They do not accept other winter sports apart from AFL - the Storm are proof of that.

Consider this: Sydney's AFL team gets reasonably crowd support, sponsorship, and press. So does it's Super 12 team, and of course it'sRL teams. Brisbane treats it's various sports the same, as does Canberra, and Perth when it had choice. Yet Melbourne can't cope with a successful NRL team, let alone finding market space for a Union side. Melbourne has to be the worst major city in the developed world for sport. If you aint into AFL, you aint nothing!

bayrep

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
terminator007 said:

That is the biggest misconception in Australian sport. Melbournites are the most INSULAR sports fans. They do not accept other winter sports apart from AFL - the Storm are proof of that.

Consider this: Sydney's AFL team gets reasonably crowd support, sponsorship, and press. So does it's Super 12 team, and of course it'sRL teams. Brisbane treats it's various sports the same, as does Canberra, and Perth when it had choice. Yet Melbourne can't cope with a successful NRL team, let alone finding market space for a Union side. Melbourne has to be the worst major city in the developed world for sport. If you aint into AFL, you aint nothing!

I thought Melbourne was meant to promote them selves as the sporting capital of Aus ?

Latest posts