What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canard

Immortal
As posted in another thread:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/stat... MCG next year

Stage of Origin to be played at the MCG next year.

Everyone knew it would be Melbourne, but the G? That seems ambitious, they would seriously have to look at discounting tickets to get anything substantially above the guaranteed sellout of 55K at Etihad Stadium.

I could see prices being as low as $40 come a few weeks to go.

guyver78

Juniors
As posted in another thread:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/stat... MCG next year

Stage of Origin to be played at the MCG next year.

Everyone knew it would be Melbourne, but the G? That seems ambitious, they would seriously have to look at discounting tickets to get anything substantially above the guaranteed sellout of 55K at Etihad Stadium.

I could see prices being as low as $40 come a few weeks to go.

You don't think people in Melbourne would pay these sorts of prices and get 100,000?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'll fly over for it if it is. If they can fill the place it will be incredible. I reckon a lot of people will fly interstate to see it. Getting a hotel could be the biggest problem!

LineBall

Juniors
Whilst 90,000 plus to watch Origin in Melbourne would be quite a coup for rugby league. I'd imagine it would be a pretty shit place to watch rugby league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Take the binocs! The atmosphere will make up for the distant viewing. The mcg seats are incredibly steep pitch so shouldn't be too bad. Being in the gods will be like watching ants playing RL though I reckon. Been on a tour when it was empty and will be brilliant when full for origin I reckon.

Canard

Immortal
Whilst 90,000 plus to watch Origin in Melbourne would be quite a coup for rugby league. I'd imagine it would be a pretty shit place to watch rugby league.

Oval grounds are pretty terrible, Etihad is pretty bollocks, Ive watched Soccer and League from the higher tiers, but when full the place is pretty buzzing. I imagine watching it from the top tier in at the G would be miserable.

Being realistic though I can't see the top tiers being used though. To make the place full, they will have to be virtually giving away around 20K or so tickets.

Danish

Referee
I would never EVER attend a game of league at the MCG. Its crap enough at the SCG, and that is a damn site smaller.

People complain about the top tier of ANZ being too far from the action.... the MCG would have roughly 50,000 seats further away than that, if not more.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...with-last-season/story-fni3fbgz-1226939082695

A rare positive article about crowds with the Broncos in the 8, Eels playing well and Doggies being on top of the ladder I see crowds increase throughout the season. Doggies yet to play the Eels twice , Broncos yet to play Warriors, Storm and Bulldogs at home. Interesting to see how Penrith goes now there in the top 4 will they be getting circa 03 crowds.

Canard

Immortal
They will get 80k easily for that MCG Origin

Unless the tickets about 50% of the tickets are $40 and lower Im not so confident.

I have lived in Melbourne since 2009 and have been to both Origins at Etihad in that time, in both cases its been possible to get tickets within days of leading up to those matches. And that was for very reasonable prices.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Unless the tickets about 50% of the tickets are $40 and lower Im not so confident.

I have lived in Melbourne since 2009 and have been to both Origins at Etihad in that time, in both cases its been possible to get tickets within days of leading up to those matches. And that was for very reasonable prices.

They played a few Origin games at the MCG in the 90's and got 87k and 53k,Origin right now is 10 times bigger than it was back than

80k easily,we got dis

Canard

Immortal
They played a few Origin games at the MCG in the 90's and got 87k and 53k,Origin right now is 10 times bigger than it was back than

80k easily,we got dis

1 game got 87k because of the novelty factor, outside of the infamous LA exhibition, it was the first time that the event had been played outside of its traditional base.

Since then though I think 55k is a more reasonable crowd to expect, therefore why Etihad is more suitable.

I expect the MCC has come to party with some sort of $ incentive however, but putting the money aside it may be a bad look to have a 1/3 empty G for one of our showpiece games.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

80k easily,we got dis

I agree.

Its a good move shifting the game from Etihad to MCG. You ask a lot of Victorians and they would prefer the MCG over Etihad.

But only downside would be the seating would be further from the action than Etihad.

Origin is now more popular nationwide than what it was 10 years ago, infact it hasnt been this popular in Melbourne since 1994, pre Super League.

If they took a game to Perth and play it at Subiaco or Patersons whatever they call it now, they go close to selling it out.

Canard

Immortal
I agree.

Its a good move shifting the game from Etihad to MCG. You ask a lot of Victorians and they would prefer the MCG over Etihad.

Origin is now more popular nationwide than what it was 10 years ago, infact it hasnt been this popular in Melbourne since 1994, pre Super League.

If they took a game to Perth and play it at Subiaco or Patersons whatever they call it now, they go close to selling it out.

You know there has been 2 Origins played in Melbourne in the past 5 years right? (09 and 12) Are we to believe that Origin has suddenly DOUBLED its appeal to the Melbourne market since 2012?

I like to remain positive about League in almost every instance regarding crowds, but this is VERY ambitious.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
1 game got 87k because of the novelty factor, outside of the infamous LA exhibition, it was the first time that the event had been played outside of its traditional base.

Since then though I think 55k is a more reasonable crowd to expect, therefore why Etihad is more suitable.

I expect the MCC has come to party with some sort of $ incentive however, but putting the money aside it may be a bad look to have a 1/3 empty G for one of our showpiece games.

I think NSW and QLD fans will eat up the chance to watch Origin at MCG,it might be a once in a lifetime type thing,Melb is only like 1 hour plane trip from NSW and like 2 hours from QLD

50k NSW and QLD people and 30k Melb people sounds realistic to me

Canard

Immortal
I think NSW and QLD fans will eat up the chance to watch Origin at MCG,it might be a once in a lifetime type thing,Melb is only like 1 hour plane trip from NSW and like 2 hours from QLD

And those 50k didn't come in 09 and 12 because it was at Etihad?

Really?

"Origin is on in Melbourne"

"Where"

"Etihad"

"f**k that Im not going"

Canard

Immortal
So the takeway from this is that the venue is more important than the game.

Good to know.

guyver78

Juniors

I'm curious as to what other people think but I have a feeling that wont really be the case for 1 reason. COST!!!

I personally cant see them discounting tickets to last year's prices and sure there will be a few people who will fly down supporting both teams from up north but not as many as some might think. My opinion, neutral Victorians wont pay $250+ for good seats.

Another thing. I've been to the MCG to watch the AFL 1 day and we had good seats that night in the middle tiers. Now they were pretty good for AFL but would have been below average for League games. Not seen a league game there before but having sat in those seats that were considered good the action when a League game is played would be a mile away. Cant even imagine watching a League game in those high tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.