What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current NXT Roster

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Simple question really. Who out of the current NXT roster makes the step up successfully to either become a regular main roster contributor or future main event player?

I know that it's never easy to predict when "creative" can kill a guys chances at the drop of a rosebud, but I'm more looking for opinions on the strengths/weakness of each individual that may help/hinder their progression to the next level.

Misanthrope

Staff member
There are quite a few guys (and girls) on there right now who I think can make it in some fashion if they're handled correctly.

Adrian Neville has a good look for a flier, and his in ring work is more than just flipping and flopping about. Could see him being a midcard fixture with upper midcard potential.

Baron Corbin has the look to go far. His entrance is pretty cool and his match against Neville today showed he's not all generic power crap. I can see him being saddled with a bodyguard gimmick. May not look monstrous enough to be a genuine top tier guy, though.

Buddy Murphy and Wesley Blake look decent and can work, but seem to generic to me. Might get a brief run on TV.

Enzo Amore and Colin Cassidy have potential. They can talk, they've got a unique look and style, and they're not awful in the ring. Might make a halfway decent tag team, but I reckon Amore will get saddled with full time manager duties and Cass will be a mid tier big guy.

Finn Balor... the sky is the limit. The guy can have a good match with anybody, his entrance music is great, his look is good, and his special entrance is something fans will eat up. He seems likely to get a CM Punk/Daniel Bryan style following, which will mean frustrating aborted pushes mixed in with some spectacular stuff. Could be anything.

Hideo Itami has the pedigree to go far, but I reckon his lack of English will hold him back. I'm not sure we'll ever see a huge Japanese star main event in the WWE, but he could very easily fill the token minority role. I'd like to see him do more, but not sure he will be allowed to.

Kalisto is the heir apparent to the Rey Mysterio crown. With Rey looking like going to Lucha Underground if he can get a release and Sin Cara 2.0 not exactly a huge success, Kalisto is their go to guy for mask sales. The fact he speaks English is a huge plus. Can't imagine him achieving as much as Rey has with his career, but should enjoy a decent run.

Kevin Owens is a freak. It's early days for him in the WWE/NXT family, but the guy is a brilliant worker who can talk better than most of the main roster. His look may hinder him somewhat, but Bray Wyatt is proof that 'husky' dudes (pun intended) can certainly work.

Sami Zayn is going to be a star. The crowd loves him and his in ring work is world class. They'd have to actively try to ruin him.

Tyler Breeze has a great look and a thoroughly amusing character. Not sure how it will translate (I thought Adam Rose had a good character, but that means shit if you don't have any plans for him). Might make a good partner for a guy like The Miz.

Bayley has a fun, happy go lucky character that fans ought to connect with. Of course, I thought the same of Emma. They sure did f**k that up.

Becky Lynch seems too generic for me. If she didn't talk, I'd have no idea she was Irish.

Carmella will go fine if she is kept with Enzo Amore and Big Cass in a debut. She's attractive, can talk, and isn't woeful in the ring. Can't see her being a multiple time diva champion, but she'd fit right in with the Total Divas crowd.

Charlotte is likely to be the biggest success story from the NXT Women, and I'm including Paige (who they seem to have no idea how to use). She's got the pedigree, she's an athletic worker, and she isn't completely unattractive. Hard to imagine them not pushing a Flair.

Sasha Banks is my favourite diva on the roster right now excluding AJ. She's got a fantastic look, her character works, and she's a good in ring worker. She'll fit right in with the bitchy diva thing they love up top.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Agree with a lot of that.

Sasha Banks is my favourite female by far. Everything she does just works and she plays the character perfectly. A bonus that she can work as well. She could probably get anybody over by association, even Kofi if WWE actually allowed him to be interesting.

Bayley/Lynch I just don't rate. Lynch has a good look, but apart from that everything just doesn't seem to click. Bayley I can't put my finger on, she looks like a lost child 90% of the time. Almost like a female Eugene in regards to facial expressions.

Charlotte is a no brainer really. She'll be a champion.

Carmella will be great eye candy.

Cassidy to me looks like the lovechild of Nash and Edge. Not saying that in a bad way, I just have a feeling that he has spent a lot of time watching those two. You're right about Amore. Nothing about him says long term in ring competitor.

Corbin I'm 100% sold on as a long term contributor, but maybe not going to the top. Has the look, the entrance, a good move set. Wondering if they'll let him keep his finisher though (too close to Sister Abigail?). A little sketchy on the mic at this stage. My first thought was "hired muscle" as well. If Raven was just starting out now they'd fit perfectly together.

I'm going to say it, I'm not sold on Zayn (outside of his in ring work). To me he's someone who could catch fire, right time, right place, ala Bryan, but outside that I don't see it. For me he'll either reach the top on a wave of momentum or he'll fizzle. I don't see him being an in between midcard guy. Maybe when I see him do more than the overly sympathetic babyface I might change my mind, but at the moment I'm rather impartial.

Balor, I'm a fan of everything but the interpretive dance entrance. When I hear him on the mic it sounds a little too cliche for someone who's trying to push the "out there/creative" vibe that the entrance suggests. He delivers his promos well, but it does feel like I've heard it a dozen times before at this stage.

Tyler Breeze won't make it far IMO. A short run with the Miz might work, but yeah, I just don't see him having much chance beyond that.

Owens looks and sound like a badass. I think he'll need more than that to get over on the main roster though.

Itami. Let him work and he could be the next Tajiri but with more feud potential due to having some mic skills. Mid card.

Kalisto - Meh from me, but yeah, he'll be the next merchandise seller now that Rey's out of the picture.

mackdadday

Juniors
Ive been watching NXT for about 5 or 6 months now and theres plenty of talent there ready to make up and in particular i think there are a couple of girls there that are ready to really kick the divas division up to where it should be.

Sami Zayn - Have never seen this guy wrestle less than a 4 star match but i think thats because they run through each of these matches down to the most minute details. Up against a larger card i think hes going to struggle but i seem as a solid mid carder as the wwe audience wacthes and apprecaites more and more NXT.

Neville - No better tag that rings true than the man who gravity forgot. With Seth somewhat barred from using his range of high flying skills (to keep him from being cheered), neville has all the phsyical attributes to put on a spectacular match and unlike carlisto has a spectacular finisher that can be used on opponents big and small. The only thing that might get in his way is that he has the charisma of a toenail.

Owens - Next to Corbin, probably the most likely to make it big on the main roster. Great character and lots of agility for a big guy. Hes a very believeble never back down kind of bad ass.

Corbin - This guy has everything. 275 pounds about 6/10 and has already proven he can put that awesome finisher on big guys. Keep it quiet and this guys going to make it big. I feel a lot of the undertaker in this guy.

Itami - Been very unimpressed with this guy to be honest. Has teased the GTA a few time but other than that its just been kicking people. Needs a few more wow moves if hes going to have any chance.

Balor - I see he potential in this guy and has kind of jeff hardy strangeness about him. Already has a few moves up his sleeve and his entrance when painted is silly yet wowing at the same time. Would like to see him come up with a new finisher as we already have cesaro doing it and something a bit more than jumping on a guys stomach as a finisher could be nice.

Carlisto - This guys a pinball and definitely heir to rey mysterios shoes if played right. I think he does need a finisher that can be used on people big like myserio had with his 619.

Charlotte - was fuming when they had Natalya pin her on her RAW debut without much of a hassle. She's probably more ready than anyone else on the NXT roster to step up and i think a divas division based around firstly her and Paige with Sasha not far behind would be a huge start towards bringing that division out of its horrible horrible state of affairs (AJ has gone absolutely stale and doesnt want to be there and it shows, Bellas are annoying, everyone else stinks). Sadly though i think HHH said after her loss that nobody will remember it when she debuts in 6 months so seems like we have some waiting to do.

Sasha - Shes got it all. Total package. Willing to take the pops to the outside. Great talker. Charlotte/Paige/Sasha are the future pillars of the wwe divas division.

Bayley - I think she plays well to the small audiences at NXT but her finishes pretty awful and i cant imagine her being much on the main roster.

Enzo/Cass - like these guys on the mic and seems to me wwe needs more teams like this on the main roster. Dont need to be tag title contenders but at least give a bit of depth to the division.

Breeze - Character seems a little too shallow for me. Along the lines of the fandango character but a bit more feminine. If this were the old days where wwe/wcw had deep deep rosters he might get his go but these days where it seems there are limited spots i dont think so.

Murphy/Blake - how did these guys get the tag titles? Bland as hell.

Bull Dempsey - big guy and i like his atmosphere. Just seems to me too much of a little big guy.

and i dont know how you guys could have missed her...

Old Blue Pants - Stephanie/Lita and Trish rolled into one. The next big thing ;)

Really don't know why WWE doesnt occasionally have the NXT stars on RAW and Smackdown occasionally or even mention the show on the brand shows. Have a Baron Corbin or Charlottle turn up every few weeks and you ll get new fans of NXT and thus members of the wwe network..Could it be that Vince is feeling a bit challenged by the NXT product? It also sets up the characters the right way instead of suddenly having them in our face two times a week. we get like the sting situation where it makes it that much more awesome when they show up. One baron corbin or adrian neville match a month would really get them built up for becoming important members of the main roster.

Last edited:
Of the current NXT roster, the only ones I can see getting to the top of the mountain are Sami Zayn, Finn Balor, and Kevin Owens. Adrian Neville is a chance too, but does need someone in his corner to push for him.

- Zayn is a genuine babyface in the mould of Ricky Steamboat, and someone the crowd authentically gets behind.

- Balor has all the skills to be a top guy, though he hasn't had to do a lot of talking yet. As seen by his Apollo 55 and Bullet Club runs, he is equally at home as a babyface or a heel.

- Owens is just so unique, and comes across as a true badass. He can play a babyface if need be, but is a genuine old fashioned heel who does anything to win while not avoiding a fight.

mackdadday

Juniors

Well, to be honest, with the current state of affairs in wwe they'd definitely be in the title scene but thats not saying much. They have plenty of character but havent seen much from them in the ring. Cesaro and Kidd seem like the only team in wwe with any kind of tag team cohesion. Not a fan of the Ascensions combo moves either and everyone else is plain awful.

alien

Referee
Well, to be honest, with the current state of affairs in wwe they'd definitely be in the title scene but thats not saying much. They have plenty of character but havent seen much from them in the ring. Cesaro and Kidd seem like the only team in wwe with any kind of tag team cohesion. Not a fan of the Ascensions combo moves either and everyone else is plain awful.

the usos arent awful. gold and stardust are good too

i think the wwe will keep enzo and big cass. they are talented and connect with the audience

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Uso's got the Cena treatment, and the kiddies love the "we say U you say so's" stick. For anyone over the age of 13 it's cringe worthy, but that's the era we're in.

redvscotty

First Grade
They could start the feud off by putting them on the actual Family Feud and quabbling over what answer to give!

redvscotty

First Grade
I was just thinking about Rival on today and what match I was most hanging out for.

Corbin V Dempsey - No DQ
Zayn V Owens
Balor V Neville (Not even a fan of Neville and Balor is only alright but this will be epic)
Fatal 4 way womens

It promises to be unreal either way.

Eelementary

Post Whore
They don't suck but they are getting a tad stale and lacking direction

IMO they suck - no charisma, no innovation, poor psychology, average look...

People are criticising Buddy Murphy for being bland and vanilla - the Usos are vanilla with vanilla wafers and vanilla-infused sprinkles. Blergh.

ek999

First Grade
I was just thinking about Rival on today and what match I was most hanging out for.

Corbin V Dempsey - No DQ
Zayn V Owens
Balor V Neville (Not even a fan of Neville and Balor is only alright but this will be epic)
Fatal 4 way womens

It promises to be unreal either way.

First time I ever watched any NXT yesterday and I caught the Balor v Neville match. Absolute quality it was