What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutters v Bears

Strong team named

Quinlan
Mann
Milne
Dodd
KFFL
Nona
Hutchison
Wakeman
McCrone
Host
McCarthy
Lewis
Havili
Res
Coster
Sironen
Gallagher
Clune
Sele

I don't see that team running out on sunday
McCarthy major inury surprised he is able to play
Milne shoulder charge and not sure if he has been charged
Sironen on report no idea about his judicial record
Lewis concussion from weekends game

This is the team you may see instead

Quinlan
Mann
Clune
Dodd
KFFL
Nona
Hutchison
Wakeman
McCrone
Sironen
Host
Sele
Havili
Res
Coster
Gallagher
Noble
Newbigging or Wallace

drago brelli

Bench
Burleigh have a very good team. Cameron Cullen is probably the one to watch. Lachlan Burr at 13 is also very good. They have a few ex Cronulla and Newtown players as well.

Gm5

Juniors
jeff lynch is quite the player aswel, shame his careers been slowed down by injuries

getsmarty

Immortal
Nona: Play Wherever Needed
Wed 28th September, 07:00AM
A A

By Jesse Godfrey

Illawarra Cutters five-eighth Shaun Nona will play wherever needed ahead of the Intrust Super Championship (NRL State Championship) fixture against the Burleigh Bears at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park on Sunday.

The Tully Tigers junior has been named to partner halfback Drew Hutchison in the halves for the blockbuster fixture but saw himself shifted to the interchange for the 21-20 win over the Mt Pritchard Mounties in the NSW Cup Grand Final last round.

Nona notes he is unperturbed if this occurs again and knows he will simply follow the instructions tasked to him by Head Coach Jason Demetriou.

“I was just waiting the whole game for JD to throw me on, but at the end of the day we got the win,” said Nona.

“It was nail biting at the end, so nervous, and I’m just glad we came away with the win.

“I just rate everyone, they had a great start the boys, got us out to a 16-nil lead, went in our shell for a bit there, but we did well to get back in the game.

"I also thought we set Drew up well to finish off with the field goal which won us the game.

“We practice them a bit at training, we set him up well, and he didn’t disappoint with that kick.

“Obviously we’ve got one more game to go now, but in the back of our heads, we know we’ve got another job to do and we’ll be focusing on that.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/09/28/nona_play_wherever_n.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Demetriou: Opportunity To Showcase Talent
Fri 30th September, 07:00AM
A A

By Jack Brady (NRL.com)

Illawarra Cutters coach Jason Demetriou believes there's more than just title success on the line as his side prepares to clash with the Burleigh Bears on Sunday afternoon.

The Intrust Super Championship will not only put 34 players up against one another to determine the best second-tier club in Australia but also present opportunities to those without an NRL club or contract for the 2017 Telstra Premiership season.

Eight of the Cutters' 18-man squad are currently contracted solely to the Illawarra club and Demetriou was hopeful an NRL chance was just around the corner for them.

"We have players knocking on the door of an NRL contract so this is another chance for them to put their best foot forward and hopefully the game that helps them put pen to paper," Demetriou told NRL.com.

"For the blokes outside of those 10 Dragons there's guys who are desperate to get NRL contracts.

"I think (prop) Shannon Wakeman – if there's anyone who deserves one – he's it. Adam Quinlan showed his class on the weekend too. Another bloke, Shaun Nona, to me he is the best five-eighth in the [Intrust Super Premiership]."

Running out onto one of rugby league's grandest stages in ANZ Stadium will see both the uncontracted players and younger Dragons earn invaluable experience, according to Demetriou.

"Blokes like Jacob Host, Kurt Mann and Taane Milne, to get the experience of playing in big games on a big day gives them real confidence. The only place to go from there is the NRL," he said.

"That's the next level they need to step up to. There's been a correlation of players in the past that have won state finals and gone on to have good NRL careers so it's a huge opportunity for [the young Dragons] guys as well."

Demetriou – a former Intrust Super Championship-winning coach at the Northern Pride – gave a huge rap to Bears counterpart Jim Lenihan for turning the club around.

The Bears and Cutters have had similar trajectories over the past 12 months considering they both failed to play finals football last year.

"[Lenihan] went through some tough times there as a coach. There's always been a lot of expectation on the Burleigh club. What he's done is get the right brand of players and the right people who have bought into what they want to do," Demetriou said.

"We'll have to keep an eye out for Cameron Cullen who's had an outstanding year. Jamal Fogarty as well. One guy who I've been really impressed with is Paterika Vaivai and [Sami] Sauiluma as well so we have to be on song defensively all game if we're to win."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/09/30/demetriou_opportunit.html

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Just watched the video of the Bears GF win.
As JD has already pointed out Cullen, Fogarty, Sauiluma and their fullback are very impressive and good support players. We need to be on defensively to match them. The Dolphins really pushed them when they spread the ball wide which is something we have an advantage with our centres and wingers.

Evenly matched and should be a great game. I just hope we can back up after the emotion of our win over Mounties. Given the style of play we should get away with it and I'm predicting a 10 point victory to our boys.

Was interesting seeing Luke Page as the Bears prop.

getsmarty

Immortal
McCarthy: Hopeful Of Playing
Sat 1st October, 07:00AM
A A

By Blake Edwards

Illawarra Cutters captain Tyrone McCarthy is hopeful of lining-up against the Burleigh Bears in the Intrust Super Championship (NRL State Championship) fixture at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park on Sunday.

The Ireland international is presently battling to overcome an quadriceps injury sustained during the warm-up against the Newtown Jets in the Preliminary Final fixture recently.

The skipper worked tirelessly after that match with medical staff working throughout the week to have him ready to face the Mt Pritchard Mounties in the Grand Final fixture on Sunday.

The Cutters defied all odds to defeat the Minor Premiers 21-20, with a field goal by halfback Drew Hutchison proving to be the difference, to secure their first Premiership.

Their upcoming Queensland Cup opponents, the Burleigh Bears, secured a tough fought 26-16 victory over the Redcliffe Dolphins to end a twelve-year Premiership drought in their respective Grand Final fixture at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane last Sunday.

"It's a day by day process," said McCarthy.

“I am feeling positive, and as was the case last week, the medical staff are doing everything they can to get me right for Sunday's game.

"I was fortunate enough to play my debut NRL game for the St George Illawarra Dragons at ANZ Stadium, and it seems to have a good atmosphere which would be great to experience again.

"For some of these lads it may be the only time they play in front of a big crowd and on the big stage, so it is an exciting time.

"Burleigh will come ready to play, but I think we've got the team to get the job done."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/10/01/mccarthy_hopeful_of_.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Nona and Demetriou looking for a repeat of duel 2014 crown

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

30 Sep 2016, 5 p.m.
r0_0_4282_2426_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HE doesn’t boast the NRL credentials of some of his teammates but Illawarra five-eighth Shaun Nona boasts experience that could prove just as valuable in Sunday’s Intrust Super Championship clash with Burleigh.

The Cutters earned their spot on the game’s biggest day with a 21-20 win over Mounties in last week’s NSW Cup grand final, putting Nona within reach of his second double-crown after claiming the first interstate championship with Northern Pride in 2014. The Pride, under current Cutters coach Jason Demetriou, were heavy underdogs against a highly-fancied Penrth outfit but caused a grand final day boilover to win 32-28.

It will be a different experience for player and coach this time round, with the Cutters carrying slight favouritism into the match, but Nona said the experience of handling the lead-up has been invaluable.

“I think having that experience definitely helps and JD knows what to do to get the guys in right frame of mind to prepare for this game,” Nona said.

“When I was up at the Northern Pride it was actually the first time I’d even been to Sydney. We played Penrith and they were the hot favourites and no one had really hard of any of us coming from far North Queensland so the experience is a lot different this time round.

“Both competitions are very strong I think it just comes down to whichever team prepares the best for the game and whoever can turn around and play again. I think the game itself, playing on NRL grand final day, just that in itself is motivation enough to get you ready for the game.”

Nona’s combination with Dragons rising star Drew Hutchison has been a key plank in Illawarra’s success thos season but with experienced head Josh McCrone also in the ranks, Demetriou has juggled the trio to good affect in recent weeks with Nona starting from the bench against Mounties last week.

Other players might have dropped their head but Nona responded with a composed second half display to get his side home and is happy to play the same role if required on Sunday.

“The guys got out to a good lead but when Mounties started coming back it was pretty hard to watch from the sideline,” Nona said.

“Unfortunately [second-rower] Chris Lewis got knocked out and we had to re-shuffle our interchange so I had to bide my time but I was raring to go as soon as I got hold of the interchange card. We weren’t really completing our sets and building any pressure and I just though if I can get on there and do that it’d give us an opportunity at the back end of the game. If one of us is in that situation again I’m sure we’ll bide our time until we come onto the field.

“Me and Hutch were a new combination and we’re two pretty different style of players but JD got us working well together and the longer the season went the better our combination got. We’ve got Josh McCrone there as well who’s very experienced and having him there has been very good for me and Hutch because we’ve learned a lot from him.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4199127/nona-looks-to-repeat-2014-pride-double-act/?cs=2382

getsmarty

Immortal
Illawarra Cutters stalwart hungry for more

30 Sep 2016, 6 p.m.
r0_116_4368_2572_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Picture: Blake Edwards

When the siren finally sounded on the Illawarra Cutters’ 21-20 grand final win over Mounties last week, most players wearing red noticeably flocked to one player.

Widely dubbed the Cutters’ heart and soul, Shannon Wakeman has undoubtedly put more blood and sweat into the jersey that any other player. Barring a brief stint with Windsor, it’s the only jersey the Berkeley junior has ever worn at senior level.

In June, he became the first player to notch 100 games for the club. In the transit lounge that is NSW Cup rugby league, it’s quite possibly a record that will never be broken.

After riding all the ups and downs over five seasons, including a 10th placed finish last year, Wakeman admits he’d started to think that elusive grand final berth would remain perennially put of reach.

“After five years I was pretty excited just to get to a grand final,” Wakeman said.

“I’d started to think it’d never really happen so get the win I was certainly very happy.

“There’s been a really good feeling around the place this year. We’ve had a pretty solid side and we’ve played pretty well all year and, while you think about it, you never really expect it to actually happen.”

His extended time with the club means he’s seen plenty of players come and go. It’s also why he knows there is truly something special about the current crop that he helped spur to a nail-biting victory with a powerhouse second stint late in the match to get his side home.

“I wanted to win like nothing else,” Wakeman said.

“When you’re playing in a grand final you obviously do everything you can to win and you dig deep and find something when you need it.

“I was absolutely blowing there at the end but the boys were just talking it up saying ‘come one get up we’re a family, we’ve got to keep going’.

“We are pretty much a family and I think that’s why everyone was pushing for each other. We always work hard for each other and work hard for JD. I think that’s what really got us through in the end.”

The Cutters will be looking to put an exclamation point on their season when they take on Burleigh in the Instrust Super Championship curtain-raiser to the NRL grand final.

Both sides have trod virtually identical paths to decider with the Bears finishing second before upsetting minor premiers Redcliffe in the Queensland Cup grand final. The Cutters handed Mounties the same fate and will head onto the game’s biggest stage full of confidence despite their well-earned celebrations earlier this week.

“It does throw you off a little bit. It doesn’t quite feel like we’ve won a grand final yet because we’re playing again this week and we’ve still got a job in front of us,” Wakeman said.

“We’ve been full of confidence all year so I don’t think much is going to change. I’m sure JD will have a look at a bit of video on Burleigh but not much will change for us in how we’ve been preparing all year. I think I was actually more nervous the week before the prelim against Newtown than I was with Mounties because you want to get to a grand final so badly.

“The nerves for this game haven’t set in yet but I’m sure that feeling will take over once we get out there in that atmosphere in front of that crowd. I’m sure it’ll be pretty spectacular.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4198879/cutters-stalwart-hungry-for-more/?cs=2382#

getsmarty

Immortal
Mann hoping to maintain top-grade form for Cutters

30 Sep 2016, 10:05 a.m.
r0_161_5080_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

POTENT FORCE: Illawarra Cutters winger Kurt Mann finished the NRL season as the Dragons' top try-scorer with 10 tries in 13 games. Picture: Sylvia Liber

See your ad here
Illawarra winger Kurt Mann will be looking to maintain his run of red-hot try-scoring form as the Cutters look to add a State Championship crown to their newly won premiership on Sunday.

Mann endured a rough start to his career at the Dragons after switching from Melbourne this season, dropped after two games at fullback. The 23-year-old admitted that it put a dent in his confidence but credited a mid-season stint with the Cutters for turning his year around.

He fought his way back into first grade for the Dragons round 12 clash with North Queensland, scoring a try in a 14-10 win, and finished the season as leading try-scorer with 10 four-pointers from 13 games.

He added his overall tally with a try in the Cutters nail-biting 21-20 win over Mounties in last week’s ISP grand final and is looking to maintain that form against Burleigh on Sunday.

“We will have to prepare the exact same against the Bears as we did against the Mounties as it seemed to work and hopefully we get a similar result,” Mann said.

“I was lucky enough to score a try against the Mounties and it was the product of a good team move. We started really well against them and it was probably one of the best starts we’ve had since I’ve played Cutters at least.

“Unfortunately, we took the foot off the throat a bit, they gained a bit of momentum and we had to fight them off in the second-half. We will just continue to focus on our own preparation and work hard on correcting some of the things that need improving on and hopefully it pays off on Sunday.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4198910/mann-continues-potent-run/?cs=302

OzDragon

Coach
Mann hoping to maintain top-grade form for Cutters

30 Sep 2016, 10:05 a.m.
r0_161_5080_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

POTENT FORCE: Illawarra Cutters winger Kurt Mann finished the NRL season as the Dragons' top try-scorer with 10 tries in 13 games. Picture: Sylvia Liber

See your ad here
Illawarra winger Kurt Mann will be looking to maintain his run of red-hot try-scoring form as the Cutters look to add a State Championship crown to their newly won premiership on Sunday.

Mann endured a rough start to his career at the Dragons after switching from Melbourne this season, dropped after two games at fullback. The 23-year-old admitted that it put a dent in his confidence but credited a mid-season stint with the Cutters for turning his year around.

He fought his way back into first grade for the Dragons round 12 clash with North Queensland, scoring a try in a 14-10 win, and finished the season as leading try-scorer with 10 four-pointers from 13 games.

He added his overall tally with a try in the Cutters nail-biting 21-20 win over Mounties in last week’s ISP grand final and is looking to maintain that form against Burleigh on Sunday.

“We will have to prepare the exact same against the Bears as we did against the Mounties as it seemed to work and hopefully we get a similar result,” Mann said.

“I was lucky enough to score a try against the Mounties and it was the product of a good team move. We started really well against them and it was probably one of the best starts we’ve had since I’ve played Cutters at least.

“Unfortunately, we took the foot off the throat a bit, they gained a bit of momentum and we had to fight them off in the second-half. We will just continue to focus on our own preparation and work hard on correcting some of the things that need improving on and hopefully it pays off on Sunday.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4198910/mann-continues-potent-run/?cs=302
Good luck Cutters. Would've loved to go today, but not paying a few hundred per ticket for it.

On another note, I think Mann can turn into something great if given the proper guidance. He's got speed, smarts and can defend. Bit like a young Morris.