What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D Boyd AND J Morris to the Dogs

Wobbygong

First Grade
Looks like we might have missed out on Darius Boyd as well, the Dogs don't muck around in player negotiations. When they wnat someone they offer the player a decent deal straight away no mucking aobut, god only knows what our recruitment team does...............................?:(

Albert what's doing?

Bulldogs to steal flyer from Dragons
Brent Read, Additional reporting: Peter Kogoy
436 words
9 August 2008
The Australian
2 - All-round First
English
Copyright 2008 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved

http://www.factiva.com/factiva/learninglinks/multimedia

THE Bulldogs are ready to use the money they save on Sonny Bill Williams to snatch Brisbane back Darius Boyd from the grasp of St George Illawarra.
Boyd is contracted to the Broncos for next season, but has been told he is free to leave if he secures a more attractive deal elsewhere. The Dragons, the club Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett will join next season, were expected to take advantage of that offer to secure the 21-year-old.
However, the Bulldogs this week expressed an interest in Boyd, who made his State of Origin debut this year, and will play in the centres for Brisbane against the Warriors tonight.
The Bulldogs have money to spend following Williams' decision to walk out on his $2 million contract last week.
``We have spoken to his (Boyd's) manager,'' Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg confirmed yesterday. ``He's obviously a State of Origin player first and foremost. He brings speed and versatility. He can play fullback, wing and centre.''
Should the Bulldogs secure Boyd for next season, it would be a bitter blow to Bennett and the Dragons. St George Illawarra has struggled to strengthen its squad for 2009, having signed Penrith veteran Luke Priddis and Canberra prop Michael Weyman.
The Bulldogs, on the other hand, have already signed a host of players including Dragons outside back Josh Morris.
Greenberg refused to rule out signing sacked Canberra half Todd Carney in 2010, although he said the club would need to be convinced the 22-year-old had overcome his well-documented drinking problems.
Carney, sacked by the Raiders on Thursday following a string of off-field indiscretions, is still considering his future.

watatank

Coach
I don't think it can happen at this point in time. For the time being Williams is still being paid by the Bulldogs and considered under the salary cap. Wouldn't them taking Boyd mean that the Bulldogs are officially cutting Williams loose?

Mr Red

First Grade
if we dont get Boyd i will be disgusted.
StGeorge have just as much money to spend with Ryles and Gasnier leaving so it shouldnt be a question of funds.. it comes down to the management team and how aggessive they are in signing him.

timma

Juniors
The article left out , Dragons have signed Jeremy Smith from the Storm. Smith has been playen awesome this year and is a good signing for saints.
Dragons make our own backs , Gaz , Cooper , Morris , Stanley , Nightingale
R we in the hunt for any more players ????

Maybe Dragons are going to go all out and sign Karmichael Hunt , I really hope so

watatank

Coach
Bulldogs can't sign Boyd until after SBW is officially no longer a Bulldog and I can't see that happening for a while yet. If we don't sign Boyd before then and he goes to the Bulldogs instead there is seriously something wrong.

This is a bit worrying on two fronts:

1\ We may miss out on Boyd

2\ Canterbury will be better than second-last

The latter will be harder to take for me, since I won't be able to give sh*t to my olds any more!

Dragons1990

Juniors
Hey everyone, im new to the forums. so i just thought id say hi and if we dont get Boyd who are we looking like getting?

Cheers

Hey everyone, im new to the forums. so i just thought id say hi and if we dont get Boyd who are we looking like getting?

Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

If we don't get Darius Boyd there is very little, if anyone, available to purchase. We will have to blood Presidents Cup players, something Brownie is rubbish at but Bennett has a reasonable track record with.

dragonfan1

Juniors
come on boyd, join us!!! Why would u wanna go to the dogs? As for players we r linked to, its just about k hunt or boyd. We were linked to many others but did not get them e.g. hannant, ennis. heighington, teo, etc.

Wobbygong

First Grade
The Dogs would still be able to sign Boyd regardless of SBW, they haven't used all the money from the players that have left yet, plus add togther Corey Hughes and some fringe players that they won't retain like Daryl Millard etc and they would have enough 250k plus to sign Boyd.

Knowing our history of recruiting stuff ups, we are probably still messing him and his manager around playing games trying to get him for a bargain price rather than saying cut the crap, we think your worth 260k a year and that's our final offer..........

Rexxy

Coach
dude... Hanging Judge Robert Austin is going to bring Sonny home and the Dogs will have to pay him.

YKIMS

The Dogs would still be able to sign Boyd regardless of SBW, they haven't used all the money from the players that have left yet, plus add togther Corey Hughes and some fringe players that they won't retain like Daryl Millard etc and they would have enough 250k plus to sign Boyd.

Knowing our history of recruiting stuff ups, we are probably still messing him and his manager around playing games trying to get him for a bargain price rather than saying cut the crap, we think your worth 260k a year and that's our final offer..........

marty_dragon

Juniors

anyone offering darius boyd 250k - 260k is faaaarking crazy ... i think he is worth 180-200k max....

Dragon

Coach
Gotta remember that Boyd is the player he is partly because of Bennett. Thats what im most excited about, all the talented u20's we have and finally a coach who can mould them into stars. Still pissed that Josh had to go though ><

j0nesy

Bench
I refuse to believe that article, infact I refuse to believe anything WRT player transfers until a contract is in place. Even with a contract in place I'm not so sure these days :sarcasm:

sting

Bench
the dogs are scum. sbw leaving, hopefully getting the spoonm theyre getting everything they deserve.

bred not bought my ass

Jasdragon

Juniors
Our club is laughed at by other clubs, players and fans. We are run pathetically I don't know how our imortals can take it! I'm supprised it dosen't send then 6 foot under!

Even with Wayne Bennett we can't attract any decent players (I thought this is one of the changes he could make for us)! Weyman for f**k sake you have to be kidding! I hope we are paying him with KFC vouchers because we all can see he loves eating sh*t.

Look at the Dogs, a club in hell at the moment (and they deserve it) but are still able to sign really good players (and pretty much all of them we also went for and failed to get) they will be a contender again pos even next season, while we are rebuilding again. How do they attract the players they do esspecially considering the sh*t they always seem to be going though, while saints can't attract anyone? Can anyone name a star or even quality recruit we have bought in the last 15 years???

PLEASE Dragons sign Boyd and start to fix this crap signing culture we have got into. And also get rid of this stupid unsuccessfull menatlity of losing players then bringing up new players though the juniors (which takes years) going through their growing pains (which is why we are so inconsisant over the years) and then losing them to opposition clubs (Which really hurts seeing and starts the process all over again), that are smart enough to look at weeknesses in there club and buying payers to fill it if they don't have anyone ready in the club to fill the spot. Thats what the Bronco's and other successfull clubs do etc.

We don't have 2-4 years to rebuild with junors, esspecially with the games state at the moment and all the rumors of sydney clubs either relocating or being forced out of the comp.

We have to have heaps of Cap room f**king SPEND IT on good players!

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
Look at the Dogs, a club in hell at the moment (and they deserve it) but are still able to sign really good players (and pretty much all of them we also went for and failed to get) they will be a contender again pos even next season, while we are rebuilding again. How do they attract the players they do esspecially considering the sh*t they always seem to be going though, while saints can't attract anyone? Can anyone name a star or even quality recruit we have bought in the last 15 years???

PLEASE Dragons sign Boyd and start to fix this crap signing culture we have got into. And also get rid of this stupid unsuccessfull menatlity of losing players then bringing up new players though the juniors (which takes years) going through their growing pains (which is why we are so inconsisant over the years) and then losing them to opposition clubs (Which really hurts seeing and starts the process all over again), that are smart enough to look at weeknesses in there club and buying payers to fill it if they don't have anyone ready in the club to fill the spot. Thats what the Bronco's and other successfull clubs do etc.

We don't have 2-4 years to rebuild with junors, esspecially with the games state at the moment and all the rumors of sydney clubs either relocating or being forced out of the comp.

We have to have heaps of Cap room f**king SPEND IT on good players!

Actually the dogs are stupid, all they done was to buy 2nd tier players, this year is one of the worst player market in the history of the league, there is hardly a 1st tier player available on the market.

Thank god the dragons werent as stupid as bulldogs and pay money for these 2nd tier players like hannant and ennis who only improved under bennett.

Hannant will not be a rep player any more going to the dogs neither will ennis or morris be a look in for rep because the dogs will be at the bottom of ther table for a few more years, they dont have the quallity of players for hannant or ennis to make a mark.

The bulldogs foolishly put themselves out of the market next year when the 1st tier players come on the market to make it one of the strongest players market.

And the clubs will be laughing at the bulldogs being so dumb in paying overs for 2nd tier players this year , i cant remember a horrid player market with so many 2nd tier players like this year and the dogs jump, no wonder they get themselves into trouble

timma

Juniors
oust doust , we need sme real people running the club

Bennett should bring us a CEO

Latest posts