What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dallas Cowboys News

DC_fan

Coach

DC_fan

Coach
Per CBS Sports, four NFL teams are emerging as top landing spots for the 14-year veteran and the Cowboys are all ears.

The Cowboys will listen to offers for Tony Romo, sources said, once owner Jerry Jones has his meeting with the Pro Bowl quarterback. Romo prefers to be moved to a contending team -- specifically, the Texans, Cardinals, Broncos and Chiefs. The Bills also have significant interest in Romo, team and league sources said, though they realize that it might be a tough sell. The Bills have not given up hope on retaining Tyrod Taylor on a lesser contract, too, though that may be wishful thinking on their part at this point.

Trading Romo would net the Cowboys around $5.1 million in salary cap savings after the $19.6 million dead money hit. If they fail to find a favorable offer from a team willing to take on his contract, however, releasing him could also be an option.

The Cowboys’ season may be over, but they’re not mailing it in. Don’t miss any breaking offseason news, take a second to sign up for our FREE Cowboys messenger!

Cutting him before the June 1 deadline yields the same savings as would a trade scenario, but doing so after June 1 certainly ups the ante as Dallas would only suffer a dead money hit of $10.7 million while netting $14 million against the cap.

Of course the four-time pro bowler could also retire, should he not deem any other scenario satisfactory. Romo stated Super Bowl week that, despite reports, he has yet to begin entertaining leaving the Cowboys.

http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Four-potential-NFL-landing-spots-emerge-for-Tony-Romo-51063441

zombie jesus

Staff member
That cut scenario is a bit misleading. They can make him a post June 1 cut but they don't get that cap space until that date making it a lot less useful than it sounds, then you've still got to account for the balance bringing a $9m cap hit in 2018 to carry.

T-Boon

Coach
Just saw some cool footage of Jaylon Smith sprinting recently. Looks even more of an athletic beast than 2 years ago. Which is frightening. I am going to need to be a fringe cowboys fan next season.

DC_fan

Coach
That cut scenario is a bit misleading. They can make him a post June 1 cut but they don't get that cap space until that date making it a lot less useful than it sounds, then you've still got to account for the balance bringing a $9m cap hit in 2018 to carry.

Regardless of when the Cowboys release/trade Romo It is going to cost them in the salary cap. However, it will be more beneficial with the salary cap if they did it after June 1. As for it effecting the salary cap in 2018, we'll they will worry about then.

DC_fan

Coach
Just saw some cool footage of Jaylon Smith sprinting recently. Looks even more of an athletic beast than 2 years ago. Which is frightening. I am going to need to be a fringe cowboys fan next season.

Don't be a fringe Dallas fan, go all the way with the Cowboys. Let's hope Smith can return to the player he was a couple of years ago.

DC_fan

Coach
Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott wins FedEx Air & Ground Award

By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter:mad:SportsDayDFW

Cowboys rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott, a strong candidate for AP's Rookie of the Year Award, has already taken home some hardware from the NFL Honors awards show.

Elliott, who led the NFL in rushing this season, received the FedEx Air & Ground Award.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...s-ezekiel-elliott-wins-fedex-air-ground-award

I love the red suit. Where do I get one from?
1486253224-NS_04NFLawards05SP.jpg

DC_fan

Coach
Cowboys big winners at NFL Awards night

AP Coach of the Year - Jason Garrett
AP Offensive Rookie of the Year - Dak Prescott
Offensive line of the Year - Dallas Cowboys
Ground player of the Year - Ezekiel Elliott

Toped of with the announcement of Jerry Jones to the Hall of Fame

T-Boon

Coach
I think it is crazy. He can go work in the media anytime. He still has a couple of seasons in him.
He needs to head down to Houston.

DC_fan

Coach
The Franchise QBs: Final rankings of the top signal-callers in Cowboys history
28 Jun, 2017

What follows is the final ranking of the top quarterbacks in Dallas Cowboys history, both from our NFL Nation reporter and our final fan polling.

NFL Nation ranking:
1. Roger Staubach

2. Troy Aikman

3. Tony Romo

4. Danny White

5. Don Meredith

Aikman has one more Super Bowl win than Staubach, but Captain Comeback earns the top nod because of what he meant to a franchise that was "next year's champs" before he took over. Neither player is defined by their stats. Aikman had just one season with more than 20 touchdown passes. Staubach was a 57 percent passer. They were defined by wins. Romo has the statistics as the franchise leader in passing yards and touchdowns, but he won just two playoff games. In his later years, however, the appreciation for his talents seemed to grow. White had the misfortune of being the first quarterback to take over for Staubach, and three straight NFC Championship Game appearances were not good enough for a fandom that wanted Super Bowls. Meredith felt the sting of expectations as well and retired early because of it, but he was the first star of the franchise and carried the team from expansion loser to winner, if not an NFL title. -- Todd Archer

http://www.espn.com.au/sportsnation...ngs-top-signal-callers-dallas-cowboys-history

The top 5 for the Cowboys was always pretty obvious. The only questions were, who between Staubach and Aikman would be #1 and #2; and who between White and Meredith would be @4 and #5. I cannot split Staubach and Aikman. However, I would place Meredith ahead of White.

DC_fan

Coach
Donald Trump in 1984: I could have bought the Dallas Cowboys; I'd feel sorry for the ‘poor guy’ who did

What if Donald Trump made a different business decision back in the 1980s? Instead of becoming President of the United States, would he be the owner of the Dallas Cowboys?

Without the Cowboys, would Jerry Jones have gone on to star in a reality TV show and then become the 45th President of the United States?

We'll never know.

But Trump said in a 1984 interview with The New York Times that he had the opportunity.

"I could have bought an NFL team," Trump said, via the Cowboys Wire. "There were three or four available -- that still are available, including, of course, the Dallas Cowboys."I could have bought an NFL club for $40 million or $50 million, but it's established and you would just see it move laterally. Not enough to create there."

But Trump didn't stop there.

"I feel sorry for the poor guy who is going to buy the Dallas Cowboys," Trump said. "It's a no-win situation for him, because if he wins, well, so what, they've won through the years, and if he loses, which seems likely because they're having troubles, he'll be known to the world as a loser."

Bum Bright bought the Cowboys from Clint Murchison in 1984 for $85 million.

Jones ended up purchasing the franchise from Bright in 1989 for $140 million. The Cowboys went on to win three Super Bowls in the next seven seasons.

Forbes now estimates the Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world, worth around $4 billion.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...984-bought-dallas-cowboys-feel-sorry-poor-guy

Thank God, he never did buy the Cowboys.