What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damian Irvine

shadowboxer

First Grade
As for Rothfield? He doesn't even like rugby league let alone the sharks.
The reception he got in the sportsman bar a year or so back was priceless. Blokes mouthing off at him so hard he left his bar and walked out, which would have to be difficult for him, he has a head like the planet Mars - idiot

sharktastic

Juniors
Warned off the grounds was probably the nicest thing that was done to him. He has had some disgusting things happen to him before he went overseas.

Him and his board are the reasons we have a club and a white knight for 99 years*.

Will always get the kudos from me.

Absolutely agree he did so much under really tough circumstances and deserved some respect and acclamation for a huge job when we were just about down for the last count.

He did have some disgusting things said and done to him I hope he is able to receive the respect he deserves.

Would love to see him and Lyall working together one day at the Sharks:D

taipan

Referee
Gotta add this.Our club seems to be the most professional of all the clubs on their website,with regular up dates on membership numbers.
Some of the so called wealthy big name clubs,still stuck on same figures over a fortnight ago.Bleeding amateurish for these clubs,makes watching grass grow more exciting.

gavin_miller

Juniors
The reception he got in the sportsman bar a year or so back was priceless. Blokes mouthing off at him so hard he left his bar and walked out, which would have to be difficult for him, he has a head like the planet Mars - idiot

Normally I wouldn't be into that, I think some public figures deserve their private lives but him, and the three Asada writers from the tele coverage, all deserve to be reminded what stains on life they really are!

SharkShocked

Bench
Gotta add this.Our club seems to be the most professional of all the clubs on their website,with regular up dates on membership numbers.
Some of the so called wealthy big name clubs,still stuck on same figures over a fortnight ago.Bleeding amateurish for these clubs,makes watching grass grow more exciting.

Well considering the last few years we were lucky to update it once every 2 months.

It is an area they needed to improve.

taipan

Referee
Well considering the last few years we were lucky to update it once every 2 months.

It is an area they needed to improve.

Agree,that says little for the other so called top line clubs,looking as though they are stuck in quicksand.

Matthew Corner

Juniors
I don't know either bloke really..........
My comment was that IF he warned Damo off the grounds it was small minded and weak.

I think that the current board is doing the best they can.

sharktastic

Juniors
By the time Irvine's board came to power the club had been mismanaged for years. Debt was over $13m and growing, no clear plans to grow revenue streams and the bank nervy about calling in the loan.

Irvine and Craig Douglas with the support of some others reworked the cost structure of the business to stop the bleeding and got the development up and running. They structured the deal to get the up front payment to retire a significant portion of debt to ensure the immediate survival of the club.

The consequence of the lean structures was a lack of leadership and governance which allowed the supplement issue to get out of control. Irvine made a bad call by speaking with Rothfield. Rothfield had been sniping for ages and should have been considered an enemy of the club.

My sense is that some people were put out by the aggressive campaigning of the Keogh camp in the election. Coupled with this was the blatant cheerleading from Rothfield. All of this painted the Irvine board and especially Irvine himself as being responsible for the asada issue whilst Keogh's board were responsible for getting the development up. Using the platform of reinstating Flanagan regardless of evidence was a populist position that pissed off some long term supporters who did not appreciate the irony of the Chairman getting axed when the coach, who had responsibility for the football department (hence the supplement program) was supported.

History has always been written by the winners and in this case the Keogh board won. The legacy of Irvine and Douglas is the development and the fact the club is still in existence. For this they should have the gratitude of every Sharks fan and at an appropriate time formal recognition from the club.

Having said that, Keogh's board has settled into the job and are doing well. There are less leaks to Rothfield and they have made a good appointment to the CEO position.

For the record, I don't know Irvine or Keogh. Never met either of them.

Well summed up. I do think Lyall Gorman is one of the best things the club has done for a long time and yes,Rothfield did not help the situation when we we were all but out for the count

Damian Irvine and some others kept us afloat while up against some unbelievable odds and should be congratulated for the time ,effort, ingenuity and guts.

Matthew Corner

Juniors
Yep but it's easy to take the bows after the curtain has been raised.

Doing a good job, but really the hard work was already done.

On ya Damian. You rock

Card Shark

Immortal
Yep but it's easy to take the bows after the curtain has been raised.

Doing a good job, but really the hard work was already done.

On ya Damian. You rock

Despite my obvious love for what he did for the club, to say the job is done is foolish.

There is a lot more hard work to be done....still no premiership.

Damo set the platform, others must deliver now.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Damo saved the club and that should be recognised. Had a few beers on a few occasions with him over the years prior to his time at the club, he was a likable lad and pretty funny too at times.

Card Shark

Immortal
Yes, the life of the party usually.

Who could ever forget his happy dance at the Cowboys? game behind the 2 sideline commentators post game.

imasharkie

Coach
Yes, the life of the party usually.

Who could ever forget his happy dance at the Cowboys? game behind the 2 sideline commentators post game.
I was at that game with Damo, didn't realise they got that dance until I seen it on tv at a later date.
Yep he sure was a passionate supporter and hard worker for the club.

Card Shark

Immortal
BUMP

Lyall & the current board have done wonders for the club but this man & his board saved our bacon.

In this grand final week, I wanna say thanks Damo & I hope you're at the game mate & you witness a Sharkies victory. You bloody well deserve it!

If I hear a "bounce funny" call, I'll know you are there ;)

imasharkie

Coach
BUMP

Lyall & the current board have done wonders for the club but this man & his board saved our bacon.

In this grand final week, I wanna say thanks Damo & I hope you're at the game mate & you witness a Sharkies victory. You bloody well deserve it!

more like " ding ding ding"

BUMP

Living o/s through that whole period I feel kinda removed from a lot of what went down, but from what I have learnt I gotta give this an "Amen!"

Are Irvine & Keogh ever known as "D1 & D2"? That sure would be banana-riffic!

Weaponhead

Coach
Good link inferno. One of the very few articles about Irvine's time that is any way balanced. The DT agenda of deifying Keogh and slagging Irvine is ordinary and highlights the ignorance of so called journalists.

For the record Keogh has been very good for the club making some astute calls. However, without Irvine and Craig Douglas there wouldn't even be a Sharks club anymore. Both Keogh and Irvine are deserving of credit.