What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dane hides behind 'They didn't want me' excuse for going to the Bunnies

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
source - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/5780cb13563fa03bee1c2aa7b8245042

DANE Gagai holds no ill-feeling towards Newcastle. He maintains a good relationship with coach Nathan Brown.

He’s not one to hold on to grudges. He knows they’ll only weigh you down in the cutthroat world of professional rugby league.

“If I did that I probably wouldn’t be where I am now,” Gagai explains to foxsports.com.au.

“I kind of tend to just move on. It is what it is. Move forward and look forward to the next part of my life.”

But the likeable Rabbitohs recruit admits he was driven out of the Hunter by a feeling of being unwanted at the Knights.

Gagai had an option in his favour to play for Newcastle in 2018, but opted to sign for South Sydney on a lucrative deal that will link him with close friend and mentor Greg Inglis.

The move might never have happened if it wasn’t for a feeling he was being pushed down the priority order on the Knights’ contract list.

Watch every NRL premiership game live in 2018 on Fox Sports. Sign up here to stream for free on a two week trial.

The club has pulled off one of its most aggressive recruitment drives in recent history, securing at least eight new players for season 2018, headlined by young gun Kalyn Ponga on a rich deal.

But Gagai is undoubtedly the club’s biggest loss.

He says he simply couldn’t wait for the Knights any longer.

“I was in a position where I was at a club that I really loved and cared for, but at the end of the day I wasn’t happy,” a candid Gagai admitted.

“I was going to training and trying to do what I could. I think looking back on it the three wooden spoons definitely had an effect on me.

“The biggest thing was I kind of had a feeling that I wasn’t really wanted at the club.

“When I spoke to my manager (Steve Gillis) and we had a sit down and he told me the Bunnies were interested, and when I spoke to them they told me how much they wanted me.

“At the end of the day it came down to that feeling of being wanted.

“The Bunnies were pressing hard to try to get me to go there, and Newcastle were trying to sign players and trying to rebuild.

“I guess I couldn’t really understand why they weren’t rushing to sign me.

“It was never really about the money for me. I’d been at that club for six years.

“They had signed Kalyn Ponga, which I was happy as ... but then they started going after all these other people, and I said to my manager what’s going on? What’s happening there (with my contract)?

“He said to leave it with him, and that’s what managers are there for, to sort that out.

“Time went past and I ended up telling them to put me out there (on the market).

“I’m not sure if it was a bit of miscommunication, but that’s just the way I felt personally.”

It was a tough six years for Gagai in the Hunter.

In his six seasons since moving south from Brisbane in 2012, the club played finals only once.

The Knights collected the competition’s wooden spoon in 2015, 2016, and 2017, and in the end it wore their star Origin rookie down.

It was with a heavy heart that Gagai informed his teammates and coach he would be packing his bags and heading to Redfern.

But the toughest part of signing with South Sydney was turning his back on the devout Newcastle fans.

“I’ve gone through it, but they’ve supported the club their whole lives and they went through everything with us,” he said.

“To get 13,000-plus turning up to games this year when we were going for a third wooden spoon ... it goes to show how resilient this town is. That was something that made the decision extremely tough for me.

“Every time I drove to a game, it was round 16 or whatever and we had only won two games, to still see those people turning up in red and blue, watching fathers take their sons through the gates ... it made it an extremely tough decision for me.

“I had to be a bit selfish in the end and do what was best for me.”

As much as Gagai might be unhappy with how Newcastle approached his contract negotiations this year, he won’t let it sit on his shoulders.

He believes in moving on. After all, rugby league is a business.

And he’s never held ill-feeling towards Knights coach Brown, who has babysat Gagai’s young son Dante, and with whom he shares a close relationship.

He’ll keep in touch even when he moves down the highway to Sydney.

“(Brown’s family) always come up and ask me; ‘when are we babysitting Dante again?’; because his kids want to play with him.

“I’ve got a lot of time for Browny, he’s a great man and a great coach.”

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
So Dane claims there was no offer, but hang on you had the option in your favour so there was an offer, Brown has stated in press conferences there was an upgrade offered but it was not what the Bunnies could offer with TPA's

So is Browny a liar then Dane?

He then says how close he is to Brown, but he has all but called him a liar.

Why not just say this is all about the better money on offer. Stop making excuses

Alex28

Coach
So Dane claims there was no offer, but hang on you had the option in your favour so there was an offer, Brown has stated in press conferences there was an upgrade offered but it was not what the Bunnies could offer with TPA's

So is Browny a liar then Dane?

He then says how close he is to Brown, but he has all but called him a liar.

Why not just say this is all about the better money on offer. Stop making excuses
But he’s never been about money.

Apparently.

mozza91

Coach
He holds no ill feeling towards us?

Well shit that's big of him isn't it. He got paid handsomely to play to his potential 5 times a year (3 of which wearing a maroon jersey). He felt unwanted? My heart bleeds for him.

He could stayed here for 650k a year. That's pretty big overs for someone who consistently gets outplayed by Pete Mata'utia.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Yeah, unless the journo has played with his words and written it how he wanted to come out (which is highly possible) then this is the nail in the coffin for me with Gagai. Pretty stupid thing to say "I was unwanted" when he had an option to play for and the club was Absolutely right to put new recruits first before anyone currently signed up. BAR Saifiti's, Levi & Lamb, Rossy and Barnett, and what do you see?? All of them signed up to 2020.

Gags holds himself in too higher of opinion. Will be very interesting seeing playnfor Rabbits.

mozza91

Coach
In this thread... and every other thread about an ex-player on this forum:

Only when they open their mouths after leaving. Gagai, Rochow and the Sims (carried on when they scored against us) give me shits. Everyone else who's left I have no issue with.

perverse

Referee
Only when they open their mouths after leaving. Gagai, Rochow and the Sims (carried on when they scored against us) give me shits. Everyone else who's left I have no issue with.
I'm sure Dane didn't call up fox asking if he could have a whinge. He's responding to interview questions openly and honestly from his perspective. As our only origin player I can understand him feeling a little disenchanted that we weren't rushing a big deal in front of him when others are, after he had provided what he perceives to be loyal service. Whether we were right to do so or not is neither here nor there - that's how it made him feel and that's fine and understandable. These people are human and have their own human biases and perspectives.

Spot On

Coach
I dont know where to start with his quotes......

..... we signed players to improve a squad that was shit house and he doesn't know what was going on with all the signings.

FFS.

Is he managed by the bloke Robbie Rochow gives his money to?

He was already on huge money for a winger Perverse.

Brown publicly stated he wanted him. Brown just wasn't stupid enough to pay what the manager was asking. Giving Dane top dollar was not this clubs priority right now and for very good reason.

The offer was more than generous.

Article is a load of crap.

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
Dane is great bloke.

Leaving footy aside and all the money and tough decisions that go into it, he is a really nice guy. I've had a bit to do with him and a lot of the players from the 2013-2014 squad.
Before Browny arrived and cleared the decks Gagai is about the only one i'd piss on. There were a lot of cockheads in that Knights' team and Gags was not one of them.

Apey

Staff member
In this thread... and every other thread about an ex-player on this forum:

And there's always at least one guy who has some weird hard-on for the player, too. You're not anywhere near 1qaz level but your soft spot for Gagai is pretty obvious. Did you meet him and he was a nice guy or something? Surely it's not just about what he offered us on the field.

“I guess I couldn’t really understand why they weren’t rushing to sign me.

Someone has tickets on themselves.

Fair play though if he genuinely felt unwanted, and there was some basis for feeling that way, it seems like everybody wins?

Knowing our luck Gagai will probably start churning out origin-like performances every other week for Souffs.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
And there's always at least one guy who has some weird hard-on for the player, too. You're not anywhere near 1qaz level but your soft spot for Gagai is pretty obvious. Did you meet him and he was a nice guy or something? Surely it's not just about what he offered us on the field.

Someone has tickets on themselves.

Fair play though if he genuinely felt unwanted, and there was some basis for feeling that way, it seems like everybody wins?

Knowing our luck Gagai will probably start churning out origin-like performances every other week for Souffs.
He’ll need to learn how to defend first.

perverse

Referee
And there's always at least one guy who has some weird hard-on for the player, too. You're not anywhere near 1qaz level but your soft spot for Gagai is pretty obvious. Did you meet him and he was a nice guy or something? Surely it's not just about what he offered...
I don't really believe that the amount of time bagging him has been proportional to his contribution to how bad we've been. We've had other, larger problems. When placed in the right environment, he's a valuable asset. Our team has not been that environment during his tenure.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I am happy we didn't chase Dane to the extent he is not the value proposition we need in the balance of the squad as a centre and he is too expensive to be a winger. If that made him feel unwanted, I can understand that too.

But from a roster perspective, he had too many deficiencies for the coin he was on to make him a priority signing and that is just business in the NRL.

Truth is, I do believe he was a very loyal clubman who stuck by the Knights when a lot of players weren't prepared to step up for the dollars they were on and phoned it in most of the time (the Sims boys and Beau Scott, after we gave him a compassionate release are a couple that spring to mind) - it was never a question of commitment to the club, more an ability to earn his pay packet for the value he brought versus the deficiencies he had in his game.

If we were paying him the same as Ross to play on the wing, I'd be all for us coughing up good 'winger' coin and making him a priority but he will never be a top quality centre of fullback in the NRL...and that is what he was selling himself as to the Knights.

Good luck at Souths...but I expect he will be found out there sooner or later with the same defensive flaws we (and obviously Brown) all saw if he is playing Centre or Fullback for the Bunnies.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I'm sure Dane didn't call up fox asking if he could have a whinge. He's responding to interview questions openly and honestly from his perspective. As our only origin player I can understand him feeling a little disenchanted that we weren't rushing a big deal in front of him when others are, after he had provided what he perceives to be loyal service. Whether we were right to do so or not is neither here nor there - that's how it made him feel and that's fine and understandable. These people are human and have their own human biases and perspectives.
As do other people

On a forum

Specifically about RL

Spot On

Coach
Wow.

Talk about polar opposite opinions.

Almost like visiting Marathon Stadium or the bizarro world. A Seinfeld episode perhaps.

Certainly has turned very saline in here.

Latest posts