What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Nicholls

getsmarty

Immortal
Remarkably, he has improved 100% under a decent coach. I'm one of the few that didn't blame our poor performance on Rein or Marshall.

Agree...but McInnes is under the same coach and his passing game is 100% better than Rein's thus making the comparison to an outside coach a mute point.

P.S All our players would improve under a decent coach.

P.P.S If Rein "improved " so much under an outside coach (penrith),why did deem him surplus to requirements? (now at Titans )

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/14/dragons-tackle-machine-mcinnes-to-focus-on-attack/

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I would not be surprised to see Nicholls on the bench in our hooker rotation. Robson still has come development ahead of him and so, Nicholls may just be the ideal utility on the bench giving McInnes a breather in the last 10min of each half. He passes well, runs direct, has a good kicking game and is solid in defence. We could do a lot worse.

Walpole

Juniors
How have people come to have such formed opinions on Darren Nicholls? Is it based on his performance against PNG in a reserve grade grand final? Or has anyone actually seen him play more than once?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
How have people come to have such formed opinions on Darren Nicholls? Is it based on his performance against PNG in a reserve grade grand final? Or has anyone actually seen him play more than once?

Seen him play mybe 6 games.
He is very solid.
Strong defender.
He may well play some nrl when hunts in state of origin.
He is a solid back up.
That all.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Darren Nicholls is the saviour amen, he will represent state and country amen, possibly captain them both amen...

Drag Queen

Bench
Agree...but McInnes is under the same coach and his passing game is 100% better than Rein's thus making the comparison to an outside coach a mute point.

P.S All our players would improve under a decent coach.

P.P.S If Rein "improved " so much under an outside coach (penrith),why did deem him surplus to requirements? (now at Titans )

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/14/dragons-tackle-machine-mcinnes-to-focus-on-attack/
He was made an offer to join Brennan (said coach). Named ISP player of the year so I'm guessing he has improved in many ways, including his passing game.

getsmarty

Immortal
He was made an offer to join Brennan (said coach). Named ISP player of the year so I'm guessing he has improved in many ways, including his passing game.

Again subjective...Wasn't Penriths first choice hooker...Maybe titans will give him a Starting spot but McInnes is far superior to Rein....especially in defense..https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/14/dragons-tackle-machine-mcinnes-to-focus-on-attack/

Anyway, lets agree to disagree on this one....nothing wrong with differing viewpoints.

Drag Queen

Bench
Again subjective...Wasn't Penriths first choice hooker...Maybe titans will give him a Starting spot but McInnes is far superior to Rein....especially in defense..https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/14/dragons-tackle-machine-mcinnes-to-focus-on-attack/

Anyway, lets agree to disagree on this one....nothing wrong with differing viewpoints.
Not at all. I'm not denying McInnes is a little workhorse in defence. With a bit of creativity in attack he could be the full package, if he doesn't burn himself out :)

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Maybe if you Made a record number of tackles you might slow down a bit .and it's your first full season .really some of you guys overwhelm me.

It was his first full season at the Dragons, not his debut season in first grade.

People who wear blinkers overwhelm me too.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Seen him play mybe 6 games.
He is very solid.
Strong defender.
He may well play some nrl when hunts in state of origin.
He is a solid back up.
That all.

100% correct dragonssamy
He's a back-up for Hunt only and yeah he'll get a run in 1st grade (well maybe we all know how McGregor thinks or shouls I say doesn't think) when Hunt plays SOO or is injured.
The back-up for McInnes ia an intetesting topic. Young Robbo would be the recognised player but wouldn't surprise to see Mann in that role.
And no Hunt will not be used at Hooker.

jak

Bench
100% correct dragonssamy
He's a back-up for Hunt only and yeah he'll get a run in 1st grade (well maybe we all know how McGregor thinks or shouls I say doesn't think) when Hunt plays SOO or is injured.
The back-up for McInnes ia an intetesting topic. Young Robbo would be the recognised player but wouldn't surprise to see Mann in that role.
And no Hunt will not be used at Hooker.
what no j.d.b for hunt

True_Believer

Juniors
It was his first full season at the Dragons, not his debut season in first grade.

People who wear blinkers overwhelm me too.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here? ODs statement is 100% correct. It was his first full season in first grade as an 80 minute player? He got close in 2016, playing 19 games, but some of that was off the bench.

Crush

Coach
I would not be surprised to see Nicholls on the bench in our hooker rotation. Robson still has come development ahead of him and so, Nicholls may just be the ideal utility on the bench giving McInnes a breather in the last 10min of each half. He passes well, runs direct, has a good kicking game and is solid in defence. We could do a lot worse.
So if Nicholls gets a gig on the bench then what happens to Mann? Because Mary sure as hell won't start Mann ahead of our long term signings.

Latest posts