What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Kidwell and Justin Morgan FFS

Scubby

Juniors
You would even be gutted at the Knights if these two amateurs were appointed. What pedigree do either of them have? The Kiwis need to act now and fast. They are going to be nowhere near the World Cup with these goons.

AUS 6-26 L
ENG 17-16 W
AUS 8-14 L
SCOT 18-18 D
AUS 8-34 L

P5 W1 D1 L3 FOR 57 AGAINST 108

They need a coach with proven experience, it is not essential they are a Kiwi. Bellamy or Cleary would be a good shout. Kidwell looks like the Kiwis are heading down the Gary Kemble route.

yakstorm

First Grade
Kidwell at least needs a mentor. One thing the NZRL did right with Kearney was to get Bennett to come in and help him in 2008 and then get Bellamy in for 2010.

roughyedspud

Coach
We're just as guilty getting rid of macnamara..both england & nz have shot themselves in both feet right before a world cup and let the aussies off the hook this 4 nations....

A vast majority of the tries australia scored against england & nz came off the back of england & nz errors...we both played dumb rugby league plain & simple..

adamkungl

Immortal
We're just as guilty getting rid of macnamara..both england & nz have shot themselves in both feet right before a world cup and let the aussies off the hook this 4 nations....

A vast majority of the tries australia scored against england & nz came off the back of england & nz errors...we both played dumb rugby league plain & simple..

Bennett has enough runs on the board to trust that in a year England will give us a lot more.

Kidwell is a hack until proven otherwise, and it's hard to see that happening. Cleary would have been a smart choice.

franklin2323

Immortal

you guys played 4 different halves combinations and more tests planned. Kidwell kept the same tactics even when not working

Big Salad

Juniors
Roger T-S at fullback plus a decent 5/8 would make a massive difference to the Kiwis, but the telling sign was how they forgot to put Taumalolo back on the field in the second half at Perth. Kidwell needs an experienced coach alongside him as an assistant - no different to Mal & Michael Hagan.

bedlam breakout

Juniors
its no good blaming the coaches, the aussies were simply not going to be beaten this series no matter what, it would have taken a team of master code breakers 12months to come up with the slightest solution to bring them down.

Kidwell needs to put down the 1993 pot of hair gel, and get his shit together.

I don't rate former forwards as coaches, as they think they can shoe-horn backrowers into positions like centre, 5/8 and hooker. That's what we saw with Harris in at 5/8 which followed the Kearney formula. As soon as he was picked at 6, the game was lost. Harris V Thurston? Come on now. Martin couldn't have done any worse. Why are we protecting him if he was good enough to make the tour? Even Benji would've been a better option. It was just dumb coaching.

Unfortunately we don't have much depth in the backline, so with 4 of our first liners out (Foran, RTS, Whare & Hiku) it was always going to be tough. If I'm Kidwell, I'm pestering Ponga to play for us. I'm also reminding Corey Norman who is obviously a maori, that he won't ever be picked for QLD, and inviting him to pull on a kiwi number 6 jersey. With those 2 in our spine, it could've made a huge difference. We aren't winning any games Vs Aus with Kahu and Harris in the spine.

This looks to be another Kemble move a year out from a WC.

TheDMC

Bench
Australia would have been near impossible to beat, they were that good.

But wtf, why would NZ appoint coaches that are so crap or inexperienced that they need mentors?
Hire the f**king mentor as head coach and let him mentor the up-and-comer/assistant coach.

Kidwell was a horrible appointment (not saying this in hindsight, was saying it at the time).

The real issue is who the hell made that decision cause therein the problems start.

It has been a horrible year as a NZ/Warriors rugby league supporter. Glad it is over.

Yes, the hate is strong.

TheFrog

Coach
Martin couldn't have done any worse. Why are we protecting him if he was good enough to make the tour?
If the best five-eighth you have to mark Thurston in an international final is a bloke who hasn't played first grade since May, to put it bluntly, you are fu(ked.

Last Week

Bench
I'm not sold on Wayne Bennett as a representative coach. His record isn't terrible, but I get the feeling that his tactics and teams don't have the same intent/killer instinct as other coaches such as Mal and Ricky.

Including the All Stars fixture, he's won 3 matches out of his last 10 rep matches he's coached. (not including his involvement with NZ).

He also was coach of Australia when we lost our first Tri Nations in 05. We lost our opening game with Johns and Lockyer as our halves. How does that happen? He coached us when the USA gave us a scare, being up 24-6 at half time.

I'm not doubting his coaching ability, but he seems to be more suited to club land, building squads, rather than coaching representative teams.

Kidwell on the other hand appears to be way out of his depth.

If the best five-eighth you have to mark Thurston in an international final is a bloke who hasn't played first grade since May, to put it bluntly, you are fu(ked.

Not quite as fu(ked as playing a lumbering back rower at the position IMHO.

davi

Juniors
There's whispers David Kidwell should be gone after NZ performance last Friday night. Australia has Mal Meninga, England has Wayne Bennett, I'm just not sure Kidwell is on their level going into a World Cup. Yes Meninga is not considered a great coach, but his time with Queensland he would have learnt alot about Queensland's dominance to have something significant to offer the Kangaroos.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/05/07/johnson-defends-kiwis-coach-kidwell

Scubby

Juniors
Just to update this

AUS 6-26 L
ENG 17-16 W
AUS 8-14 L
SCOT 18-18 D
AUS 8-34 L
AUS 12-30 L

P6 W1 D1 L4 FOR 69 AGAINST 138

Davd Kidwell, Justin Morgan and Steve McNamara. NZ could get knocked over by Samoa or Tonga never mind England or Australia.

adamkungl

Immortal
To really lay the boot in, England beat themselves more than NZ beating them in the 1 game they've come away with 2 points under Kidwell.

Force

Juniors
Kidwell needs to go, he is out of his league. Grab Bellamy or someone. Cleary would've been ideal but I hope he goes back to Lebanon.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Yes 100% - I feel like NZL and Eng are right there on paper. I especially like the look of Williams in the halves for the future of England but as you said in another post 2014 until now has been a missed opportunity for both to dominate Australia.

Latest posts