What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DC Slayers 2017 hiatus, US pro league 2018??

nzwarriorskuz

Juniors
Anyone hear of news the DC Slayers is taking a break for the 2017 season what does this mean for the USARL? personally a reserve grade 9s would be a great introduction for new players and those willing to make a step up to full 13 a side competition https://dcslayers.com

Realistically a pro league shouldn't be on the cards til post 2020 with the right platforms layed but if someone has the $ to make something of it and attract new fans and support for the sport then why not.. I'd just suggest the USARL continue to do their part and introduce more players through 9s and even school programs (11 a side, 9s, touch, flag etc..) a big step forward will be setting up youth sides vs Canada and Jamaica.

on rugby league planet titles
2025rugby-league-worldcup/2847-the-man-behind-rlwc2025-bid
regarding a pro league mention..

Rugger

Juniors
No surprised by the Slayers "taking a break". They have been light on participation numbers the past couple of years. I wonder how this plays out with their "cross-town" "rivals", NOVA Eagles. They didn't/don't seem to have the same issues either thought they are practically recruiting from the same pool.

The USARL really hasn't progressed much since the split. They've been given the WC and qualified two tournaments in a row and the result seems to be almost no actual growth in the national comp, either in terms of clubs or season length. What's going to happen in the next eight years that is going to justify and support the WC? At the moment the Wolfpack seem like the only hope.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
The USARL really hasn't progressed much since the split. They've been given the WC and qualified two tournaments in a row and the result seems to be almost no actual growth in the national comp, either in terms of clubs or season length. What's going to happen in the next eight years that is going to justify and support the WC? At the moment the Wolfpack seem like the only hope.

I'd say the Southern conference was good growth. But as seen with the Slayers, these clubs need to become established before rushing to take on new clubs. I did read a while back the USARLCEO did state that growth would be staggered for the sake of stability. ATM there is a good representation of clubs albeit the West Coast in not represented (perhaps a new conference in that part of the US next?). I'd like to see the start of junior growth now & a growth in their sponsorship portfolio. Surely if this Moore is interested in a Pro League, the USARL is a good base to start off with?

jim_57

Staff member
I'd say the Southern conference was good growth. But as seen with the Slayers, these clubs need to become established before rushing to take on new clubs. I did read a while back the USARLCEO did state that growth would be staggered for the sake of stability. ATM there is a good representation of clubs albeit the West Coast in not represented (perhaps a new conference in that part of the US next?). I'd like to see the start of junior growth now & a growth in their sponsorship portfolio. Surely if this Moore is interested in a Pro League, the USARL is a good base to start off with?

If the new proposed Pro comp is looking at 170ish North American players as stated, the USARL will have the all the best players ripped out of it. Mind you I don't think a small amatuer comp has the numbers or quality to provide 170 players to a new pro league so I'm not sure where they plan on finding these players, maybe all clubs will run trials like the Wolfpack did but they'll have to be a bit less picky.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Not familiar with the recruitment methods of the Slayers but surely it's not a big task to get a dozen or so former high school/college football guys per year in a major population center?

adamkungl

Immortal
Not familiar with the recruitment methods of the Slayers but surely it's not a big task to get a dozen or so former high school/college football guys per year in a major population center?

Slightly relevant question - in the US, do average people play full contact football post-college?
Are there the equivalent of our local open age amateur comps?
I'd assume so.. but never really heard it mentioned.

Relevant because - what's competing for playing numbers, aside from generally just preferring not to get bashed up every week?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Slightly relevant question - in the US, do average people play full contact football post-college?

Relevant because - what's competing for playing numbers, aside from generally just preferring not to get bashed up every week?
Not really, no. There are some but amateur sports leagues are not really a big thing at all in the US.

This idea that once out of high school or college there is no local football isn't true. There's plenty of amateur and low level semi pro American football comps. Every area would have at least one. I would say not as many people play amateur football there than in places like Australia, in terms of a percentage of the population, but no merkin plays here anymore either so it's probably not that much different.

Whatwhere

Juniors
Anyone hear of news the DC Slayers is taking a break for the 2017 season what does this mean for the USARL? personally a reserve grade 9s would be a great introduction for new players and those willing to make a step up to full 13 a side competition https://dcslayers.com

Realistically a pro league shouldn't be on the cards til post 2020 with the right platforms layed but if someone has the $ to make something of it and attract new fans and support for the sport then why not.. I'd just suggest the USARL continue to do their part and introduce more players through 9s and even school programs (11 a side, 9s, touch, flag etc..) a big step forward will be setting up youth sides vs Canada and Jamaica.

on rugby league planet titles
2025rugby-league-worldcup/2847-the-man-behind-rlwc2025-bid
regarding a pro league mention..

The statement from the club mentions lacking the players and nothing about a Pro League.

Whatwhere

Juniors
I think the OP was making 2 separate points. The "link" for the pro league is mentioned at the bottom.

He set similar short turnarounds back when he was shopping his Rugby concept around. It may take some time. You have to develop the infrastructure first.

RedVee

First Grade
Disappointing.
They are a long established (in USARL terms) club. For them to not be able to attract enough players to field a team this year brings a bit of realism back after the RLWC announcement and the semi/pro comp talk.
That is, a lot of work still required.

I remember meeting some people from the US when playing local footy in Newcastle in my 20s. These guys were amazed that average joes over the age of 20 were still playing body contact sport

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors
The local sports would get ex college player lists, right? Probably not strictly legal, due to privacy laws? But who knows, everything can be bought in that country. Is this done?

deluded pom?

Coach
Why ? That's an older club right ? I've been following the American League since it started, why can't League attract money in the states ? Once you get money involved you can play these collage kids who convert
The Sharks were one of the teams that stuck with the AMNRL but joined the USARL in 2015. I don't think there was much substance to them to be honest. They seemed to struggle to put a competitive team on the pitch in the USARL and would regularly ship 50+ points.

Latest posts