What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear Ivan

Tiger05

First Grade
05 Grant is off contract
I suspect that Suli and nofo will play the same side.

I agree, we are still way average in the bench. I think we still need another prop and another two back rowers.

Keeping in mind we also got that young giant from Parramatta Twal.

I'd really like to see Suli and Nofo combine on the right hand side. I don't know why they aren't doing it now.

I thought we needed predominantly outside backs but my assumption is that we have Lolohea. I have my doubts over him and I'd like a back up option.

Still though I think we really need to focus on forwards. A quality bench prop and a quality backrower.

Jim - I think Fonua will play on the wing and I'd have no issues with MWZ in the centres but a player to slot into one of those positions who is a gun is pretty important. I just see it as less of an issue compared to getting our pack and bench beefed up.

That bench is never going to the job done. Aloiai to me gets one middle forward spot. I like him - he can have an impact. Sue & MCK are reserve graders. They both look good at times but they both have mistakes in them. I thought MCK might make it a week or two ago but in the next game he made mistakes. I think Sue has been given too many chances. I'm sick of players that play good in patches. We need guys that get the job done consistently. ET to me is that sort of player. We don't need another small forward but we need guys that can tackle, hold the ball and not give away dumb penalties.

If we have to choose between Grant and Sue to me it's a no brainer. Grant has performed heaps better than Sue.

Shredder

Juniors
Yeah I like Grant to - Hes never going to play for Australia, but he does his job.
Plus hes cheap
Plus hes happy to play off the bench.

TiggaPlease

MCK will come good and I expect him to be a bench 2nd rower next year. It's pretty tough to write him off when he's basically been forced to play centre one week then 2nd row the next, he's no centre, just an attacking edge forward who runs good lines. I think he's got a huge upside and needs to be persisted with.

Clifferd

Coach
Lolohea is stuck behind RTS, Johnson and Foran hence why he's a reserve grader. He also is on the outer

To me he has the same talents as Moses but lacks the attitude and patience to become a good player. I think Ivan can coach him well

He has a good highlights package but he is kinda inconsistent

Shredder

Juniors
With regular footy in a regular position he could only improve.

We were never going to sign a star spine in one season.
I think we have done well.

And, with Brooks, Lolo, Reynolds and Mc/Liddle we have a spine that is:

- Relatively young
- Can only improve
- Doesnt cost the earth

This has meant we were able to spend money in other areas.

Ivan is building a team, rather than signing a couple of stars. Have to commend him for longevity there. If he didnt want to be our long term coach he would just sign all the off contract stars and work towards winning a comp. Doing it this way means we will be competitive from day one, but the onus is still on HIM for coaching and game plan.

On paper, if you were to describe what we are assembling in one word, that would be "tough." Not outstanding or talented, tough. Im OK with that. We improve the defence, we let the halves play their natural games, we win more than we lose we make the finals.

We dont need the best team in the world, just one that is competitive every week. Not going WLWLWL all season, then LLLLLL. That works for me!

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Ivan is building a team, rather than signing a couple of stars. Have to commend him for longevity there. If he didnt want to be our long term coach he would just sign all the off contract stars and work towards winning a comp. Doing it this way means we will be competitive from day one, but the onus is still on HIM for coaching and game plan.

On paper, if you were to describe what we are assembling in one word, that would be "tough." Not outstanding or talented, tough. Im OK with that. We improve the defence, we let the halves play their natural games, we win more than we lose we make the finals.

We dont need the best team in the world, just one that is competitive every week. Not going WLWLWL all season, then LLLLLL. That works for me!
Spot on. The team you describe sounds like the Sharks.

Shredder

Juniors
Works for me.
I mean the sharks are a great case study -
Picked up decent first graders and depth. Then showed patience in the player market and were coached to their strengths.

super_coach

First Grade
MCK will come good and I expect him to be a bench 2nd rower next year. It's pretty tough to write him off when he's basically been forced to play centre one week then 2nd row the next, he's no centre, just an attacking edge forward who runs good lines. I think he's got a huge upside and needs to be persisted with.

MCK has been very good for us this year and I was baffled when Cleary dropped him last game, but I guess he had his reasons, but long term other than no14 I am not sure what role he can play. He is not a centre and probably not a edge runner. He can do a job on the edge, but he no Cordner style backrower and that is the style of backrower you need. Although with three new experienced forwards next year things might be a tad easier for guys like MCK to shine

Tiger05

First Grade
I've gone off MCK. He has ability but he isn't a centre or a damaging backrower. He is a decent utility backrower/centre off the bench but he makes way too many mistakes to suit that role plus I'm not sure we need another player like that.

Perth Tiger

Bench
MCK is a typical high quality depth player. Someone who should be ranked 18 or 19 in a squad and you would expect to play 10 to 15 games a year based on injuries, SOO etc. our problem is we have to many of these players that we expect to be full time starters.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Lolohea is stuck behind RTS, Johnson and Foran hence why he's a reserve grader. He also is on the outer

To me he has the same talents as Moses but lacks the attitude and patience to become a good player. I think Ivan can coach him well

He has a good highlights package but he is kinda inconsistent

I agree with this summation. Lolohea had a dummy spit when Foran was signed as he saw himself as the future 5/8 (as was promised to him if you believe some reports). After this his attitude went out the window and this was definitely reflected in his performances.

He is a player that if developed properly and comes with the right attitude will become a crowd favourite very quickly and provide some xfactor which from what I can see for next year is lacking.

I dont mind a few Millennials mixed in with experienced players, just as long as they are not running the team anymore.

Clifferd

Coach
I agree with this summation. Lolohea had a dummy spit when Foran was signed as he saw himself as the future 5/8 (as was promised to him if you believe some reports). After this his attitude went out the window and this was definitely reflected in his performances.

He is a player that if developed properly and comes with the right attitude will become a crowd favourite very quickly and provide some xfactor which from what I can see for next year is lacking.

I dont mind a few Millennials mixed in with experienced players, just as long as they are not running the team anymore.

Yep exactly. Not too many players would be happy about playing 2nd fiddle and having a better rated employee at the club over you

At the end of the day every rugby league player wants to be in a starting 17 NRL team

Perth Tiger

Bench

On top of this he has suffered from the classic utility curse and has never been given a solid run (including exclusively training) In one position. If he is given an extended run in one position he could be anything

super_coach

First Grade
On top of this he has suffered from the classic utility curse and has never been given a solid run (including exclusively training) In one position. If he is given an extended run in one position he could be anything

Well he has no excuses now, he is been given the no6 till the end of the season and than will be given the no1 next year and from what I can see he will have no compertion for these roles. As I have said, not expecting much this year, our team is basically busted, but I think he will end up a really good buy

Latest posts