What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear NRL....

Crusher

Coach
You talk about loyalty but you do nothing to breed it.
You talk about Salary cap issues but you fix them with band-aids.
You talk about poaching from Rugby but you don't introduce NRL Funded Top Player contracts.

Why not on ocassion listen to what the greats of the game say.

Bob Fulton several years ago came up with a plan to resolve these issues before they were even raised. They are briefly outlined below

1.Top 30 NRL players contracted to the NRL similar to cricket and receive payments based on rankings over and above the salary cap. Hence then the salary cap inflation issue will cease. This would involve the players union also agreeing on a maximum club funded contract.

2. Any player at a club at any level for more than five years and under 25, would receive an NRL bonus for staying at the club upon contract renewal. Should he leave the club , the club he is going to would fork out the bonus and pay it to him over an above his new contract. This breeds loyalty and does not affect the players ability to earn additional income as he will get it from either NRL or new club.

3. 10 year 1 team players to receive 'retirement bonus' just like long service,.

There were more and some have been looked at but they escape me and I'm sure others iin this forum have some great ideas also.

Crusher

Coach
[furrycat] said:
There is already a subsidy for players who have served for 10 years- they are lowering it to 8.

This was several years back. I'm not sure if we have the lifetime 1 team thing though. If it does it should include a clause for players who have been released against their will Ie cap issues etc...similar to Matty Johns

JK

Oh that's right. Beaver mentioned England the other night so Manly fans are once again worried about 'loyalty' :roll:

Crusher

Coach
JK said:
Oh that's right. Beaver mentioned England the other night so Manly fans are once again worried about 'loyalty' :roll:

Beaver deserves all he gets. He's paid his dues to the eagles so if he goes to england..good on him.

I'm talking more about players under 25 who are bred by the club so surely the club deserves their dues in return.

miccle

Bench
"Why not on ocassion listen to the greats"?????

Mate, IMO the "greats" and past players of rugby league hold far too much sway into the game, and more often than not that isn't a good thing. Look at the media. Look at the radio coverage. Look at the representation not just in the coaching staff (which is fair enough), but also the boards of clubs and the game itself.

While your idea has merit, there's no way that we should pay even more attention to the ideas of former players.

Crusher

Coach
miccle said:
"Why not on ocassion listen to the greats"?????

Mate, IMO the "greats" and past players of rugby league hold far too much sway into the game, and more often than not that isn't a good thing. Look at the media. Look at the radio coverage. Look at the representation not just in the coaching staff (which is fair enough), but also the boards of clubs and the game itself.

While your idea has merit, there's no way that we should pay even more attention to the ideas of former players.

I did say 'on acassion'. And on this ocassion I think Bozo was absolutely right. But agree some of them have tooooo much to say.

I used to think guys like Bill Anderson: commentator, Souths, tigers coach had a great footy brain.

Snoop

Coach
JK said:

Still smarting over Price?

CharlieF

Juniors
JK said:

The Beaver can choose to do what he wants. No Manly Fan will ever begrudge him for that decision. He is a Manly Legend an has paid his due for Manly many times over.

Crusher

Coach
Sir Knight82 said:
Crusher with you its one useless thread after another.

How did you know my name was Useless :lol:

You've gotta have better material than that ala Mad Unit

mattyg

Bench
Crusher said:
I'm talking more about players under 25 who are bred by the club so surely the club deserves their dues in return.

Don't think manly will have many of them :lol: :lol:
4 of your top 5 players have been bought from other clubs at huge amounts of money, Orford, Bell, Kennedy, Kite, Menzies.
Compare that to us our best 5 are probably Mason, Williams, O'Meley, El Masri, Sherwin (in form). All of them bar O Meley started there careers at the dogs.

So this thread is kinda useless from a Manly supporters point of view :)

Crusher

Coach
mattyg said:
Don't think manly will have many of them :lol: :lol:
4 of your top 5 players have been bought from other clubs at huge amounts of money, Orford, Bell, Kennedy, Kite, Menzies.
Compare that to us our best 5 are probably Mason, Williams, O'Meley, El Masri, Sherwin (in form). All of them bar O Meley started there careers at the dogs.

So this thread is kinda useless from a Manly supporters point of view :)

As a manly fan agreed but as a supporter of rugby league it needs to be looked at i reckon.

mattyg

Bench
Yes but then you will hear Souths fans etc. whinging again because the other clubs can attract players and that. They will say its unfair for better clubs to have 3 players getting paid incentives from outside the clubs salary cap, and they don't have any players that are getting paid. Also, who would determine the Top 30 players in the game.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Theres some good points raised here..

The Dragons have a lot of fantastic young forwards and theres no guarantee we can keep all/some of them [after developing them all]

Crusher

Coach
Hutty1986 said:
Theres some good points raised here..

The Dragons have a lot of fantastic young forwards and theres no guarantee we can keep all/some of them [after developing them all]

and that my friend is what its all about

i agree i would like too keep all our juniors since we have so many comming through wests and balmain have had a lot taken from them in the last 5 years guys like pritchard,plum,roberts,small,Hoffman,rovelli,Greenshields,Kelly,Pangi

OVP

Coach
Crusher said:
Why not on ocassion listen to what the greats of the game say.

Bob Fulton several years ago came up with a plan to resolve these issues before they were even raised. They are briefly outlined below

Do you mean the SAME Bob Fulton that coached Easts in the early 80's, only to leave Easts and join Manly and THEN had the hide to POACH EIGHT/8 of our players from the previous year to join that filthy club ? Are you SERIOUS ? Anyone with half a brain would TOTALLY IGNORE ANYTHING that ugly clown had to say. He is pure filth, and so is the club that poached him. How many clubs, in their ENTIRE history, poached a coach and then stole 8 of their players the following year ?

The answer is 1 club. They did it to Easts, and they also did it to Wests. Filth, pure filth ... thats Manly. You can stick EVERYTHING you also did up your arse too Bozo ... you are nothing more than a clown, and thats all you'll EVER be. You are the John Wilkes Booth of Rugby League, AND YOU KNOW IT. Thats why you hide cowardly behind Hadley and his circus to this day.