What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

declining interest in matches involving neutral teams

Paullyboy

Coach
I'm very, very similar to the original poster. I used to crave super Saturday. The boys would all go to the shitty local pub (ah the Mansfield) and we'd just drink and watch 3 games of footy, regardless of who was playing. Now I only watch the Raiders. I just have no interest in the other games, and it's quite a shame.

Betting on games makes them fun, but league is great and not just the NRL. Really looking to the RL channel on Fox Sports.

Unfortunately I think betting led to my declining interest. I love a punt. But now I can't watch a neutral game at all unless I've put a punt on. Although I'm much more into the daily fantasy leagues, so that helps to a degree. But then again, it's usually just me checking the stats on my phone and not actually watching the game.

Red Bear

Referee
I think it has been best season on field for a while. Really good footy from Cowboys, Raiders, Panthers, Tigers and a few others. Storm as impressive as ever.

I spent last four seasons workingmost thursday/friday/saturday nights so i am watching a lot more this year than i have for a while.

Neutral games im not so bad with. Its constant games with teams i dislike which kill me. Bulldogs are pretty crap to watch but are regularly on, and i just dont care when it is bulldogs manly/bulldogs broncos/dragons broncos etc. The tv games have been a bit crap in recent weeks.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
surprisingly one of the better games i enjoyed that didn't involve nq was the golden point raiders/knights match. Wouldn't think i'd be saying that

Rod

Bench
I agree with whoever it was that pointed out that the way the game is run frustrates it's own fans. I find the off-field stuff such a huge turnoff that I don't watch nearly as many games as I used to. Just a complete lack of common sense in so many areas, from the judiciary to the various rule changes that players inevitably find a work-around for anyway. The NRL has/had such an amazing product at it's fingertips and yet they keeping finding new and ingenious ways to stuff it up for themselves.

Yes I'm fighting a losing battle in this regard but I also think the game really misses the shoulder charge. The physical element is just not what it was. That combined with the punching ban and suddenly you have a bunch of grown men slapping each other and trying to bait each other into a punch. It's pathetic.

I still watch of course, but for me league up until around 2012 was an absolute must-watch. Now if I miss Friday night footy or whatever I just check the score and move on.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I watch the highlights of all games not involving my team and full matches of match ups I think will be great. This year teams like Cowboys and raiders have been much watches. Cronulla tigers and panthers been good to watch in patches.

undertaker

Coach
Regarding the general standard of on-field play these days, how does it compare to this opening from the 1994 Canterbury vs Manly match:

Do you guys wish it went back to this level of on-field physicality?

Regardless of who is playing it is inconsistency how games are officiated, game after game, round after round, that is killing interest from fans.

How often do you watch and ask your self but why is that a penalty now when last game, last week or earlier in the season it wasn't? Why were teams penalised for moving off the play the ball to gain unfair advantage before but now it's ignored, or rolling the ball back rather than use the foot? How about teams getting penalised to speed up the play, but now holding down longer is let go more often then not.

It is bullshit and its destroying the game.

The more they think they are fixing things the worse it gets.

AMD

Juniors
A little late to the party but oh well. I probably watch the majority of neutral games, granted I give them a miss when I have competiting priorities. I will say that I generally avoid any neutral game televised on 9 like the plague though - the commentary team just drains the match of any enthusiasm while rabs and gus are talking absolute sh*t.

Agree with a few others though re. Having a cheeky punt on the neutrals. Can make the game really entertaining when it goes your way, but frustrating as f**k when it doesn't.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I watch all games but not interested in them like I used to be. I'm new to the game compared to most here (started in 2000 at 6 years old) but like I said to my parents the other day the game is too grubby, it isn't about being tough.

Take a look at a couple of examples. Josh Reynolds' constant tripping, this used to be and should still be an automatic send-off. Ryan James doesn't get any form of suspension for breaking a player's jaw, it doesn't matter if he meant to do it or not the fact is he did it and should be punished. Same with Kasiano, he kicked a player in the face it doesn't matter if he meant to do it or not he did it and 2 weeks on the sideline isn't long enough.

That's why I'm losing interest in neutral games, along with poor refereeing decisions and inconsistencies off the field to who is able to get away with something and why others are punished.

I've also taken more interest in all of the Eels lower grades, which consumes heaps of time.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ive been turned off mostly by the presentation....

Channel 9 is shit for too many reasons to list (i havent sat through a full FTA game since 2012). And even when i can be assed going to the club for a FOX game, the teams are in random jerseys ive never seen before and will never see again (so their goes any reminiscing about the old days).

There are a few rule changes that could improve the game, but broadly the on-field qualifty is still very high. I just dont see any reason to watch when every 9 game threatens to give me a stomach ulser and every FOX game is played by teams ive never seen before....

Lambretta

First Grade
I go through waves of being interested / disinterested in neutral games and games involving my own team and a lot of it comes down to the style of play on the field

Watching the Roosters fumble their way to defeat - when playing a team almost as inept (as happened a lot this year) just wasn't enjoyable. I can stomach it at the ground when I'm with my mates, but at home in front of the TV, sitting their swearing and pulling my hair out with worry. To be honest, neither me or my family need to be put through it. Best to go off and do something constructive.

With neutral games - it really depends on the teams involved. I've really been enjoying watching the Titans, Raiders, Panthers, Cowboys, Eels and Tigers at times this season as anything can happen.

With the Knights, Broncos, Dragons, Dogs & Souths you just get absolutely f**king bored to tears watching these pack of flogs wander around the park boring everyone to death with their one dimensional same, same style of football. f**k me they're appalling.

This has meant that Thursday & Friday night football games and the Sunday games have been largely forgettable this year as Nine tends to favour the "bigger" teams - and by and large they're the boring bastards.

I miss the days of Friday Night double headers and a Super Saturday which went from 5.30pm to 11pm
So what if some games weren't shown live. f**k the TV stations for cramming the repeat games with ads and killing the best scheduling we ever had.

T-Boon

Coach
Ive been turned off mostly by the presentation....

Channel 9 is shit for too many reasons to list (i havent sat through a full FTA game since 2012). And even when i can be assed going to the club for a FOX game, the teams are in random jerseys ive never seen before and will never see again (so their goes any reminiscing about the old days).

There are a few rule changes that could improve the game, but broadly the on-field qualifty is still very high. I just dont see any reason to watch when every 9 game threatens to give me a stomach ulser and every FOX game is played by teams ive never seen before....

what are the few rule changes?

undertaker

Coach
I'll respond to the other posts in this thread later on, as there's several issues people have raised. In the meantime, I'll first focus on this one:

This has meant that Thursday & Friday night football games and the Sunday games have been largely forgettable this year as Nine tends to favour the "bigger" teams - and by and large they're the boring bastards.

I agree 100%.

Thankfully, the NRL takes over the schedule in 2018 (beginning of the next tv rights deal). This has been LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG overdue. Until then, I can 99.9% guarantee when the draw is released in the off-season, it will be the same teams monopolising the Ch9 matches in 2017 that have been over the past few years: Brisbane, Parramatta, Canterbury, St George/Illawarra, and South Sydney.

I miss the days of Friday Night double headers and a Super Saturday which went from 5.30pm to 11pm
So what if some games weren't shown live. f**k the TV stations for cramming the repeat games with ads and killing the best scheduling we ever had.

I've made it clear numerous times that I'm no fan of the Saturday afternoon timeslot. Although it's attracted ok crowds this season, people seem to forget why it thrown into the garbage bin after 2002, only to be revived again in late 2013 because fans were complaining about the lack of day games. Most people work on Saturday, not to mention children's sport and other lower-grade RL matches played at that time. Saturday arvo was scrapped in 2001 in favour of the 5:30pm timeslot, only to be reintroduced in 2002. During 2002, no team wanted to host matches in that timeslot, leaving the Melbourne Storm to pick up the crumbs and having to go head-to-head against marquee AFL matches at the MCG/Etihad. Crowds in that timeslot were only slightly better than they were in the pre-SL days when ABC televised it, and Fox tv ratings were terrible.

Like you, I do miss when Super Saturday was 5:30-11pm. The only change I would make to it is instead of the previous 1 x 5:30pm/2 x 7:30pm format, I would have 2 x 5:30pm (viewers choice, both replayed again at 9:30pm)/1 x 7:30pm, with the marquee Saturday match being the one played at 7:30pm. If the competition expands to 18 teams and Perth is admitted, it also opens up the 9:30pm timeslot on the eastern states for a Perth home game.

Any future addition of day games must be on a Sunday, end of story. Sunday football is the fabric of the game. Unfortunately, the NRL has this fixation on not having games overlapping each other, citing that it will affect the future tv rights value. Well...AFL/NFL/EPL etc. all have games in the round which overlap. They all attract good tv rights deals, and at the same time have a good % of matches in family-friendly timeslots.

Next year is going to get worse with the Friday 6pm game, which IMO was News Ltd's way of screwing over the fans in retaliation after Dave Smith brought an end to MNF with the Ch9 deal. I still remember when Slothfield first started spruiking the Friday 6pm match when Dave Smith took MNF away, thinking at the time it was just a bad joke and Sloths had one too many beers at the pub, but I absolutely couldn't believe when it was announced by the ARLC. I still can't believe the ARLC agreed to this. Who the hell signed off on this 'brilliant' idea? With the exception of the Warriors (where it will be 8pm over in NZ), there's going to be a big crapfight with NRL club administrators over the allocation of the Friday 6pm matches, and crowds are going to be abysmal (Good Friday being the only exception, since its a public holiday). Brisbane have already made it clear that they cannot host Friday 6pm matches due to restrictions on public transportation. Furthermore, the 6pm match pushes the Ch9 Friday night kickoff back to about 8:10-15pm (as we all know Ch9 love to have their extended pre-game shows), with full-time occurring at close to 10pm. Thursday 8pm/Friday 6pm/Friday 8:10-15pm....the first 3 timeslots of the round hardly attractive to families. I'll address this point in more detail in my reponse to one of the posts in this thread later on in the evening. Regarding your point on the Friday night double header: if the NRL was going to end up agreeing to Friday 6pm/8:10-15pm matches, they would've been far better off going back to 2 Friday night matches (commencing no later than 7:50pm)

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Not sure how "most" people work on Saturday or have kids sport that runs to the late arvo. Even if some do, there's clearly enough left that pull a crowd.

My preferred timeslots, for 8 games would be
Friday 7.30
Saturday 3.30, 5.30, 7.30
Sunday 2.00 x2, 4.00, 6.00

A 9th game would go to Sunday 4pm.

I could cop a Monday or Thursday 7.00 (not both) IF every game was dirt cheap tickets (I'm talking $5 kids $10 adult) and the clubs were compensated the difference by the NRL.

T-Boon

Coach
Undertaker, good point re the overlapping games. Fox would be better off having 3 games at once and having the redzone option like NRL where the coverage switches to another game when a team is in the redzone. That time slot would rate through the roof.

SBD82

Coach
Not sure how "most" people work on Saturday or have kids sport that runs to the late arvo. Even if some do, there's clearly enough left that pull a crowd.

My preferred timeslots, for 8 games would be
Friday 7.30
Saturday 3.30, 5.30, 7.30
Sunday 2.00 x2, 4.00, 6.00

A 9th game would go to Sunday 4pm.

I could cop a Monday or Thursday 7.00 (not both) IF every game was dirt cheap tickets (I'm talking $5 kids $10 adult) and the clubs were compensated the difference by the NRL.
This is a very good idea.

There is, of course, almost zero chance that the nrl will do something that requires that kind of insight.

adamkungl

Immortal
This is a very good idea.

There is, of course, almost zero chance that the nrl will do something that requires that kind of insight.

I like watching football on Monday nights. It's a great way to end a Monday. I don't like sitting in a crowd of 6000, clubs getting shafted gate receipts and sponsorship dollars just so I have something to watch after work though.
It'd be ok if there was an incentive for fans to get out there, and the scheduling was fair such that the same few clubs don't have 6-7 a season while certain others play every Friday.

Latest posts