What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defensive Structures

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Has anyone else noticed a change in our defensive structures?

We don't look so compressed any more, our wingers aren't rushing up out of the defensive line and we're sliding well whenever the opposition spreads the ball close to our line. I haven't really seen us get genuinely beaten on the edges yet or had our pants pulled down in 4 on 1 situations (which is what teams like Melbourne did to us last year). And if we have been beaten out wide, it's not because of compressed defense.

This is helping guys like Euan Aitken. He's not being left out on his own, he's got the support of his inside and outside men. It's good to see.

watatank

Coach
We’re still compressing and rushing in from time to time but not as often or as obviously. otherwise that’s pretty much right

TomRedVRiver

Bench
We’re still compressing and rushing in from time to time but not as often or as obviously. otherwise that’s pretty much right

The only players i've seen rush out of the line are Hunt and Nene. No more than any other teams really.

Hunt needs to keep an eye on that too. He's usually pretty effective at it, but he can sometimes leave us short.

watatank

Coach
Aitken and nightingale have done it too. Not as obvious and sometimes needed but sometimes not.

Gippsy

Bench

Yep, every now and then we lose our structure, rushing up and losing the straight line, or planting the feet and waiting for the opposition. On the whole though our defence is pretty good, we just need to keep the structure going for 80 minutes. To me that is the difference between us being genuine contenders or not.

Over to you Mary !!!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Our defense has definitely improved. We have let in 9 try's in 5 games, lets say 2 per game. The addition of Graham and Hunt have attributed to that IMO.
It ia interesting to see when try's against us have been scored (not in game order just time order):

3, 10, 14, 26, 28, 45, 64, 71, 73

4 of those try's were either at the start of the game (first 15mins) or just after the start of the 2nd half.
The other 5 are when we have made simple defensive errors:
Broncs - Penalty by LL (64th min try scored by Roberts)
Sharks - Straight after an interchange Latimore for Graham (26th min try scored by Feki)
Knights - Penalty by JG followed by a GW error (28th min try to Heighington)
Rabbits- Error by LL (try to Walker 71st min). Error by LL (try to Inglis 73rd min)

LL has had a hand in 3 opposition try's.

Overall at 1.8 try's per game against us, we are doing ok. Fix the errors which may be attributed to fatigue wull go along way in further improving our defense.

ViceVersa

Juniors
Euan Aitken was on Sunday Footy Show today, and he was telling Brad Fittler about improved edge defence... Said not 'jamming' up like they did last season. They're hitting hard in defence and good line speed, but I wish they'd slow the play-the-ball down more and put them on their back. But I guess they're too scared to give away penalties since this year's crackdown...

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Euan Aitken was on Sunday Footy Show today, and he was telling Brad Fittler about improved edge defence... Said not 'jamming' up like they did last season. They're hitting hard in defence and good line speed, but I wish they'd slow the play-the-ball down more and put them on their back. But I guess they're too scared to give away penalties since this year's crackdown...

That's excellent to hear, about time the coaching staff realised!

On that second point about the wrestle, i'd actually rather we not risk giving away the penalties and let them get that quick play the ball. Look at Melbourne this year, they are the wrestle-lords and as a result, they're the most penalised team this year so far and are 2-3, which is their worst start in years.

ViceVersa

Juniors
That's excellent to hear, about time the coaching staff realised!

On that second point about the wrestle, i'd actually rather we not risk giving away the penalties and let them get that quick play the ball. Look at Melbourne this year, they are the wrestle-lords and as a result, they're the most penalised team this year so far and are 2-3, which is their worst start in years.

You're right mate they can't risk penalties because of this crackdown. Well hopefully they get up slower from those big hits lol