What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DeMerge Magpies and Tigers

siv

First Grade
It just ain't working

Wests have the money and Balmain are dead in the water

So why not demerge and solve two problems

Wests Magpies continue and play out of Campbelltown / ANZ

Tigers relocate to Perth and play 3 games at Leichhardt

BuffaloRules

Coach
Only at Leichhardt

Oh right... I forgot about the booming crowds they get at Campbelltown with 4 games a year currently being played there.

They really need to find a way to be playing more games there.

Carry on.

alien

Referee
Tigers have all the fans though

i remember when wests were making the finals in the early 90s they had good crowds at c'town. i agree that most wests tigers fans (who supported one of the 2 clubs before the joint venture) are balmain fans though, because wests tigers looks more like balmain than it does wests, so alot of wests fans from before the joint venture dont feel passionate about wests tigers, or despise it even.

siv, i have thought about the scenario you suggested, plenty of times in the past, and i reckon it would be for the best, but i doubt it will happen. if it was to happen then someone very rich would have to buy the balmain footy club..

BuffaloRules

Coach
i remember when wests were making the finals in the early 90s they had good crowds at c'town. i agree that most wests tigers fans (who supported one of the 2 clubs before the joint venture) are balmain fans though, because wests tigers looks more like balmain than it does wests, so alot of wests fans from before the joint venture dont feel passionate about wests tigers, or despise it even.

siv, i have thought about the scenario you suggested, plenty of times in the past, and i reckon it would be for the best, but i doubt it will happen. if it was to happen then someone very rich would have to buy the balmain footy club..

They got good crowds at Cambo in 2005... Higher than the Magpies of the 90s

Like Souffs have shown, on field success is the key to getting fans through the gate...

Parra

Referee
Every wests fan i know now supports souths and have done since the debacle. That the club props up the tigers is laughable and sad. Should be kept this way as a reminder of what happens when the merkins get control.

docbrown

Coach
This is a joke right?

The Wests Tigers ranking out of the Sydney clubs for attendance:

2004 - 4th
2005 - 1st
2006 - 1st
2007 - 1st
2008 - 1st
2009 - 2nd
2010 - 2nd
2011 - 2nd
2012 - 5th (still drew 16,227 higher than the league average)
2013 - 8th
2014 - 6th

They've had 2 bad years and people start calling for the pitchforks. When they start making the Top 8 again because of the games at Stadium Australia they're capable of drawing 20k+ likewise with the Bulldogs, Eels & Rabbitohs.

BuffaloRules

Coach
They have got those crowds on the back of making the finals three times in their 15 year history.

The three times they have made the finals they have been plodders until mid season and have had late charges to get into the 8...

I can only imagine the potential for crowds if they had 3 years like Souths have just had, established in the top 2-3 teams for that entire period.

Take a look at Souths crowds 10 years ago and compare them to now on the back of solid on field success.

Parra

Referee
buffalorules - were you a wests fan prior to the merger, or a tigers fan or did you follow them only after the merge?

BuffaloRules

Coach
I was a fan of Balmain.

Why does it matter?

You are saying that the former Magpies side of the merger support the Tigers less than they did the Magpies.

If you are really interested have a look at the Campbelltown crowds since 2000 compared to before.

I would suggest that the ones you know are not typical of the support that is shown at Cambo over that 15 seasons.

Yep, the last 2 seasons have not been good at either ground compared to where they were before, but people are naive if they think the on field results coupled with the off field dramas with Sheens, Benji, Potter and Farah have not had an impact.

I think the Tigers have so much more potential than a team like the Roosters...

Defending Premiers, Minor Premiers this year, Plenty of big names in their squad, Play in a modern stadium ( for NRL) located next to their fan base but still struggle.

What's their excuse?

Last edited:

alien

Referee
You are saying that the former Magpies side of the merger support the Tigers less than they did the Magpies.

If you are really interested have a look at the Campbelltown crowds since 2000 compared to before.

at the start of the joint venture alot of magpies supported the joint venture. the attendances at campbelltown showed this. i believe they were equal or even higher than the attendances at leichhardt in the early wests tigers years. if you think the much lower attendances at campbelltown these days is only because of how wests tigers are going on the field than you are delusional. most people in campbelltown hate the joint venture now. the majority dont want to support an inner west rebadged balmange club who only use macarthur for its juniors and money. piss off to perth and take that stupid cat and dirty orange colour off our jersey!!! :lol:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Nah... The crowds at Cambo have been fine up to the last two seasons...

Balmain side produces a few juniors too by the way...

If you want to see some consistently bad crowd averages though- look at the last days of the Maggies...

1993-1999

Last edited:

Latest posts