What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Democratic Republic of Congo Joins RLEF

Pommy

Coach
Anyone know how the game got started there?

I don’t think there’s huge migrant populations in either England or Australia and it was a Belgian colony rather than French.

adamkungl

Immortal

I don’t think there’s huge migrant populations in either England or Australia and it was a Belgian colony rather than French.

I think most of the African start ups are social or charity programs to get kids involved in good things. But i know little detail about it

Evil Homer

Staff member

Guessing they've been helped by the Burundi guys given the article mentions that most of the activity is close to the border.

Pommy

Coach
I just find it interesting to see how this great but relatively small sport can spread to some remote places.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I just find it interesting to see how this great but relatively small sport can spread to some remote places.
No coincidence that the number of nations playing has increased by probably 1000% since the internet became a thing.

taipan

Referee
Population of Democratic Repub.of Congo as at 2016:
78.7m

Now if we can just crack 1% of the population as players, we're home and hosed.;)

All these new nations ,add significantly to our GAISF entry and finally permanent membership.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Imagine some random african nation becoming competitive in the RLWC. Or at least that African United team concept in a World9s.

Thatd be great!!

DC_fan

Coach
Tas Baitieri should be Knighted for his service in helping the game develop around the world.

The DRC is not one of the safest country's in the world. in fact the Guardian newspaper as of 2 days ago is reporting

"The UN refugee agency has become the latest aid organisation to voice its alarm over rising violence in the east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo that has forced thousands of people to flee their homes.

Amid a worsening humanitarian crisis, almost 7,000 people have crossed to neighbouring Burundi and 1,200 into Tanzania in the past week, according to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees."

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...fear-as-thousands-flee-bone-chilling-violence

While I applaud the hard work that people are putting in, in getting the game up and running in the country. I think the country has a lot of problems that may stop that development.

DC_fan

Coach
lol what does Tas Baitieri have to do with anything?

The man has worked tirelessly for what seems like a hundred years to help get the game up and running in some far off places like here in the Congo. Shame that appears it will come to nothing

Evil Homer

Staff member
The man has worked tirelessly for what seems like a hundred years to help get the game up and running in some far off places like here in the Congo. Shame that appears it will come to nothing
If you can give me a single bit of evidence that Tas Baiteri had anything to do with the establishment of RL in Congo, or anywhere else for that matter, then I will retract my statement.

DC_fan

Coach
If you can give me a single bit of evidence that Tas Baiteri had anything to do with the establishment of RL in Congo, or anywhere else for that matter, then I will retract my statement.

Google it. You will find that Baiteri has a long history in helping countries around the world become involved in rugby league. While it may be his job I believe the guy has done a fantastic job. While he may not have been directly involved in the Congo. His efforts over many years have given encouragement to many people to undertake efforts to get our game up and running in their country. What did Baiteri do for the Congo. He helped with supplies of equipment for the game to be kick started in that country. Without people like Baiteri then league would be dead and buried right now as an international sport.

The problem for the game in the Congo, is the internal problems the nation its having.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
Google it. You will find that Baiteri has a long history in helping countries around the world become involved in rugby league. While it may be his job I believe the guy has done a fantastic job. While he may not have been directly involved in the Congo. His efforts over many years have given encouragement to many people to undertake efforts to get our game up and running in their country. What did Baiteri do for the Congo. He helped with supplies of equipment for the game to be kick started in that country. Without people like Baiteri then league would be dead and buried right now as an international sport.

The problem for the game in the Congo, is the internal problems the nation its having.
I know who he is, I don't need to Google him. I'm just confused as to why you're attributing this to him. Again, do you have any evidence that he provided equipment for Congo? Or in fact had any contact with Congo at all, given that he hasn't really been a relevant figure in international RL for over a decade (if he ever was)? And do you have any evidence that 'internal problems' are hampering the sport in Congo, given that it has literally just started there? Because to me it seems like you're making the whole thing up.

DC_fan

Coach
http://www.rlif.com/article/8376/democratic-republic-of-congo-joins-rlef
I know who he is, I don't need to Google him. I'm just confused as to why you're attributing this to him. Again, do you have any evidence that he provided equipment for Congo? Or in fact had any contact with Congo at all, given that he hasn't really been a relevant figure in international RL for over a decade (if he ever was)? And do you have any evidence that 'internal problems' are hampering the sport in Congo, given that it has literally just started there? Because to me it seems like you're making the whole thing up.

Read this

http://www.rlif.com/article/8376/democratic-republic-of-congo-joins-rlef