What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des White Interview

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Not sure where to post this, as there is no NZ RL forum.
Des White, one of NZ's greatest fullbacks was being interviewed on Radiosport about his career in the fifties. He described a famous win against the French at Carlaw park in 1951, who at the time were a RL powerhouse.

It was brutal, with the French punching, biting, clawing & kicking in the tackle.
The Kiwi 5/8 was forced off with a smashed cheekbone after a headbutt, then our halfback suffered the same thing, only his cheekbone actually fell to his mouth.
Then someone from the crowd hit one of the Frenchmen in the head with an apple.
Then a brawl broke out that lasted about 5 minutes, ending with the referee sending off the wrong man who refused to leave the field. It took the French & NZ RL presidents to come on to the park & eventually convince the real culprit to come off.
The game ended with White kicking the winning goal after a headshot in the dying seconds. As the Kiwis were leaving the field, one of them was attacked by a French player & a touchjudge was knocked over. As the NZ crowd gathered to congratulate their team, the French players spat at them.

White also went on to talk about a 7 month tour of GB that included the whole team being infected with cowpox on the ship, coming down with fevers & growing lumps in their arms.

How times have changed. I've got no doubt that modern players are better athletes, but those guys were 20 times tougher. Unlimited tackle & no replacements meant smashing your opponent was essential.

Big Bunny

Juniors
That's one hell of a yarn, thanks for sharing it. It's a shame that both NZ and French RL history isn't better documented, well for that matter Australian and British too. We know the big stories but it's hidden tales like this one that make for the most interesting reading.

AliN

Live Update Team
Yes that was the best interview I've heard on Radio Sport in a long while, great stuff.

I didn't catch Des White's all time World 13 as the machines were too loud..is anyone able to list it that heard?

Lantana

Juniors
Auckland4ever said:

How times have changed. I've got no doubt that modern players are better athletes, but those guys were 20 times tougher. Unlimited tackle & no replacements meant smashing your opponent was essential.

Depends on what you consider tougher. Jason Crocker playing with a brokern ankle and snapped knee ligaments seems pretty tough to me.
Actually the fact that guys compete for 80 mins in the toughest sport on the planet is tough enough for me.
Hey a punch in the head is a punch in the head, tough yes but I am not sure if that is how you ultimately measure toughness.
Toughness to me is the abililty to sustain doing something that you are extremely uncomfortable doing.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
AliN said:
Yes that was the best interview I've heard on Radio Sport in a long while, great stuff.

I didn't catch Des White's all time World 13 as the machines were too loud..is anyone able to list it that heard?

Sorry AliN, cant remember too many of the players & he ended up naming a NZ 13 rather than a world one. The only modern-era players I can recall him mentioning were Stacey Jones(who was on the bench) & Mark Graham.

Lantana, there were no relacements with these games, guys used to often have to play on with all sorts of horrible injuries. They also didnt have the medical & therapeutic backup to recover & rehabilitate. Also, imagine going away on a 40 match tour for 7 months, spending several weeks training on a ship, coming down with cowpox, then playing several teams whose express goal was to batter you & soften you up for the test games. How many players today would be prepared to go through all that? When I said tough, I meant on all levels.

Lantana

Juniors
Auckland4ever said:
AliN said:
Also, imagine going away on a 40 match tour for 7 months, spending several weeks training on a ship, coming down with cowpox, then playing several teams whose express goal was to batter you & soften you up for the test games. How many players today would be prepared to go through all that? When I said tough, I meant on all levels.

Agrteed, I think this falls under my measurability of toughness. (See previous post)

In-goal

Bench
The old days when France were good would have been great for the spectator, imagine all the Biff. It realy was a thugs second heaven.

I must say that the way they used to play the game wouldn't be to conjucive to signing juniours up these days.

Latest posts