What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devon head coming home for the GF

Don Tweddle

Juniors
IF NOT for Cronulla, Dean Treister would be living in a caravan.

One borrowed, and propped up on blocks, at the Oakdale farm owned by his mum.

He would be broke, Treister.

Homeless.

Just another leaguie bankrupted by business dreams.

“But playing for the Sharks,’’ the old hooker says, grinning, “it taught me to survive even the hardest of times”.

Seated now beside his family in a heaving Cronulla Leagues Club -- wife Kylie and their three children having arrived from the US only two hours earlier -- Treister is trying to find words for the greatest grand final ticket ever sold.

His.

A stub this retired Shark has travelled over 13,000km to claim.

And at a ballpark cost of US$30,000 ($40,000).

Which is something of a motza, sure.

Even for this Shire boy who, now residing in Laguna Beach, Californian, owns and operates the largest sample book company anywhere on the planet.

“Exact cost?’’ Treister laughs of his grand final odyssey. “Ah, no idea.

e3884b3a0df0ba323b560ef25776ab85

Former Sharks player Dean Treister with wife Kylie and children Riley, 11, Lachie, 13, and Indi, 8 in Sydney ahead of Sunday’s NRL grand final.Source:News Corp Australia

“I’m guessing it’s ridiculous though. Insane.

“We’ve even been chastised by the kids’ school for allowing them to miss four days to fly out here. Nobody there knows the Sharks, obviously.

“But who cares.

“This is something that just had to be done.”

And around Australia, fellow Cronulla Old Boys agree.

Like Mat Rogers, down from the Gold Coast. Or Gavin Miller, said to be driving up from Goulburn on Friday.

Russell Richardson, too, is traversing the M1 from Newcastle. While Tommy Bishop, at 75, is flying in from Brisbane to front a grand final luncheon on Friday afternoon.

Indeed, even the great Andrew Ettingshausen has delayed filming ‘Escape With ET’, a television staple for two decades, to watch Cronulla chase that one honour which eluded even him.

For 50 years of heartache, it has a way of binding men.

3fa423dc5da0656e9fc38b7dcd13d56f

Former Cronulla player Dean Treister in front of pictures of the 1994 Sharks team.Source:News Corp Australia

Just ask Jonathan Docking and Barry Russell, who both have been invited inside Sharks camp recently.

Or Jason Stevens, who while never winning a premiership says “watching these boys do it would be the next best thing”.

United, every one of them, by a hope that sees Aaron Raper even hastily sorting an Old Boys Mad Monday.
“And it’s hard to explain why,’’ the retired No.9 says. “But I think we need them to win it.

“To do what we couldn’t.

“And that’s not saying ‘go win it for us’. Because Sunday isn’t about us, they should win it for themselves.

“But if they do get there ... yeah, it will be ours too.”

And for proof, speak with Treister.

The knockabout Shire boy who, apart from being in the losing ‘97 grand final side, was also beaten in another four preliminary finals -- yep, four -- in his nine years as a Shark.

“But back then, we were just Shire kids having a crack,’’ he says. “About 70 per cent of our team was local juniors.

“And there were tough times, sure. But it taught us a lot.

“I wouldn’t be where I am today in business without having played for the Sharks.”

Now a decade since first moving Stateside with little more than an idea, Treister manufactures sample booklets used by companies -- like hardware and home improvement franchises -- to promote their products.

His own business, Sampling International, not only boasting outlets right across the US, but also factories in Canada, Mexico, even China.

All up, Treister and his team overseeing more than 1000 employees worldwide.

But still, this is a Shire story remember.

“And we were definitely busted at one point,’’ he says.

“Early on, I’d thrown every cent I owned into the business. Then taken out loans, refinanced everything; my business partner had even borrowed heavily from his brothers to keep me going.

“It got to a stage where it seemed we would fail, and there would be nothing left.

“I was coming home with a wife and two kids to live in a caravan on mum’s farm.

“But when you believe in something, yeah, you hang in and push to break through.”

Sound familiar?

“Oh, this year there’s real belief among the old boys,’’ Raper insists. “I’ve been running into guys all week like Kevin Hogan, Denis Stapleton, Craig Greenhill, they’re all pumped.

“Even Paul Green, after coaching the Cowboys against us, will be quietly wanting this. We all want the monkey off our backs.”

Treister agrees.

“It’s our time, definitely,’’ says the 40-year-old who flew into Sydney last Friday for the elimination final against the Cowboys and hasn’t left.

Who not only broke down afterwards in the Sharks sheds -- “I was moved, yeah, I love this club” -- but then immediately phoned home and told his family to pack.

“Because you either have money in the bank,’’ he smiles, “or memories like this”.

And so come Sunday night, Lochie, Riley and Indie Treister will all wear old jerseys belonging to dad. Together, arriving at ANZ Stadium with an eclectic group of 20 family, friends, old Sharks staffers, even an employee flying in from Boulder, Colorado.

“He’s never been to Australia before,’’ Treister laughs. “But he wants to be part of history.

“And Sunday, that’s what it will be.

“Past Sharks teams have had the ability, sure. But this team, it’s got something more. An edge.

“That’s why we’re going to make history Sunday night.”

And as for backing up at Raper’s Mad Monday?

“Oh, mate, no chance,’’ he cackles. “Certainly I want to be there.

“Because I love this club, always have.

“But we’ve just bought a new company in Canada and I’ve assured them -- several times -- that I’ll be in Montreal to sign the papers first thing Tuesday morning.”

Originally published as Dean’s $40K outlay to watch the Sharks

It was about 2005 at the Annandale hotel and Dave Faulkner brought Dean along to watch my mates, the Crusaders. We ended up going to the Townie and having a great time. We gots to talking and Dean asked me if i could swing sone work his way, laboring etc. I couldn't at the time. Now he's THIS!!!! Good on the bloke!

txta2

Bench
It really speaks for itself on what the club means to a lot of these x legends.

taipan

Referee
Damn Yankeee!!! Loving it.
And from all the lands we come,and with one voice ,the Sharks are no 1.

carcharias

Immortal
Just got home from there today
Ran into a bloke in a Sharks jersey from Mackay in Las Vegas airport.
Had a chat
He can't make the game but is gonna have a BBQ for the Mackay sharks fans
Any of them on here?

Great success story and great that his time at the Sharks holds a big place in his heart.

Gawd that Kharnt Anderson treated him shoddily.

Great Story in all respects. Treister had a huge heart as a player.Hope all those great ex Sharks are rewarded on Sunday.