What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diary of a Uniballer aka your experiences with Cancer

Thoroughly good read Lambo. Great to see you've kept your sense of humour with something that is at it's best a horrifying experience and at it's worst a life threatening one.

You may have unknowingly helped someone better prepare themselves for their own experience with cancer.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Lambretta

First Grade
Right on cue my hair has started falling out

My decision now is to pretend it's not happening and hope they cling on for dear life

Go the uncovered blade on the clipper

Or go the shave with a blade at the barbers

Reckon option two is my best bet. Luckily all the grey hairs on the side of my head have fallen first, so it seems the pep talk worked :lol:

But much more fallout and I am going the tighter crew cut.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Clippers mate, bonus is you can just keep doing it and save yourself any future expense at the barbers. Though if you're feeling up to it a shave at the barbers with a straight razor is a very pleasant experience.

Right on cue my hair has started falling out

My decision now is to pretend it's not happening and hope they cling on for dear life

Go the uncovered blade on the clipper

Or go the shave with a blade at the barbers

Reckon option two is my best bet. Luckily all the grey hairs on the side of my head have fallen first, so it seems the pep talk worked :lol:

But much more fallout and I am going the tighter crew cut.

Go to a hair salon and ask for a blow dry. The look on their face when they turn the hairdryer on and blow all the head off your melon would be worth the price of admission :lol:

Lambretta

First Grade
Go to a hair salon and ask for a blow dry. The look on their face when they turn the hairdryer on and blow all the head off your melon would be worth the price of admission :lol:

:lol:

I could go for a head massage at one of those Chinese places
The look on their faces as my hair drops out would be piss funny

Lambretta

First Grade
Second to last day of the chemo today and they can't end quick enough to be honest
It's not being here in the clinic, it's more the constant nausea, hiccups and food repeating on me that is getting bothersome.

Even the smallest amount of food spends hours reminding me I tried to eat it

On the plus side I am being doped pretty well to combat it all. I just want to stop taking everything and start feeling normal again.

But the end is in sight now so I don't want to whinge. Plus these nurses all make me feel rather spesh. There's something about Irish girls with their pretty accents :drool:

Lambretta

First Grade
Wow, what a horrible end to my chemo experience. Thursday through Saturday were the f**king pits. The treatment I had was a condensed timeframe session so they squeeze a lot more chemo in than normal into a shorter space of time.

Nausea and restlessness were the worst things. Everything was out of kilter and nothing seemed normal. Even sitting down to watch a game of footy became next to impossible. I just couldn't relax.

Today though is much better. I have eaten, drunk and haven't taken any medication yet. Hopefully this will continue as the medication has side effects I don't like.

Now after watching weeks of junk food ads and not be able to eat anything I want to gorge myself on Burger King, KFC and f**king pizza. Oh and Chinese. Normally my diet is really healthy but I have been hit hard with the f**k it stick and crave some junk!!

Thank f**k this experience seems to be coming to an end. Fingers crossed this is real.

Lambretta

First Grade
Will you require any further follow up treatment apart from check ups?

Thankfully no.

I have had scans and there are no other tumours
The chemo was to stop a repeat, so as that has worked according to latest blood tests, no other treatment is needed.

Thankfully no.

I have had scans and there are no other tumours
The chemo was to stop a repeat, so as that has worked according to latest blood tests, no other treatment is needed.
Hey dude

Sorry for the necro but another survivor here

I had this in 2011....i put on 35kg from chemo and stopping smoking

The f**king still won't go away from those anti nausea steriods,i ate like a legit
fat f**k and now i still am one,but not a look at that fat f**k kind of fat f**k,did you
ever figure out how to lose the water?

Did the chemo f**k the muscles surrounding where it went in?

As a highly competitive sportsman at the time of my diagnosis i went in roughly 6 weeks
past my initial diagnosis,public sector waiting lists being what they are and had a large dose
of carboplatin as a precaution,i never felt sick i felt...gluggy

I remember Lance Armstrong commenting when he came out as a better cheat than the rest of them
that he HAD to win,i also HAD to win however you can't really cheat in some sports so in my comeback
a week before seasons end i destroyed my competition but still wasn't entirely happy with the performance

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Thanks for the thread resurrection. Had Thyroid cancer at the start of the year, surgery, the birth of a second child a couple of weeks later and brachytherapy a month after that.

It was quite a ride.

@Lambretta The constipation from the painkillers was the worst. Seriously....

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread resurrection. Had Thyroid cancer at the start of the year, surgery, the birth of a second child a couple of weeks later and brachytherapy a month after that.

It was quite a ride.

Been there with the painkillers

For cancer i used Panadol as my painkiller..... with elbow surgery in the cricket off season they gave me morphine in my sleep

Ass bled for days after that first dump....

I still think to myself i could've been dead by now

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Yep, for all the bumps, that's the truth.

Had a left neck dissection, they cut the nerves to the left shoulder, but I'm getting to as point now with physio that has full movement, but the shoulder and neck will be numb for keeps. Had to be on a no fat diet for a month as the thoracic duct was nicked, was down to 67kg. Then on a no iodine diet for two weeks before iodine radiation.

Iodine is in EVERYTHING.

would I do it all again?

Yeah. I would.

Lambretta

First Grade
Hey dude

Sorry for the necro but another survivor here

I had this in 2011....i put on 35kg from chemo and stopping smoking

The f**king still won't go away from those anti nausea steriods,i ate like a legit
fat f**k and now i still am one,but not a look at that fat f**k kind of fat f**k,did you
ever figure out how to lose the water?

Did the chemo f**k the muscles surrounding where it went in?

The water retention stopped as soon as I stopped the chemo therapy
In the end the only thing I found that stopped the nausea was walking
Didn't matter how tired or run down I felt, walking stopped me feeling sick, so I walked and walked and walked and just kept walking. I was like Forrest Gump in slow mo. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle

The walking also stopped the constipation (which is what was making me feel sick)
After an hour's walk you need to shit. Ahhh blessed relief.

All that walking meant the weight just went. I actually ended up finishing the treatment at a lighter weight than when I had started - In fact, I had a pair of Sketchers which I bought a couple of months before I got sick. When I finished treatment I had walked through the soles of them!

6 days after finishing the treatment, I started back in my exercise regime. I was easy going on myself at first, but I soon pushed as hard as I could to get back to pre-treatment fitness levels

I was in a pump class at one point and the lack of blood cells to carry oxygen meant I had a micro sleep (passed out for a second) standing there with 20 kilos of weights across my shoulders lol

Dumb doesn't begin to describe me

Lambretta

First Grade

It was quite a ride.

The painkillers they gave me to go home with were Pandine Forte - best 3 nights sleep of my life
They only gave me one dosage of morphine in the hospital. It was probably for the best!

Hope you're doing ok now. How often are you in for check ups?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
The painkillers they gave me to go home with were Pandine Forte - best 3 nights sleep of my life
They only gave me one dosage of morphine in the hospital. It was probably for the best!

Hope you're doing ok now. How often are you in for check ups?
Every 3 months, should be annual after the next one. You?

Also, was dosed up on fentanyl for a couple of days. Pass up on that if offered, it really does take away the pain though...