What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Directors To Keep Your Eye On...

Anyone keenly watching an upstart or two in the industry? Give examples of their handiwork if so.

Mine...

Adam MacDonald

Only recently came across this guy’s two efforts so far, 2015 debut Backcountry & 2017’s Pyewacket. This is a guy operating outside the Hollywood studio framework but making his Canadian films look like low-budget, quality-filmed studio movies.

Rob Grant

Another Canadian. This one is a bit of a shot in the dark as he’s only made one film, but I strongly recommend seeking out his 2019 black comedy, Harpoon. Not to everyone’s taste, but definitely evidence of a sharp writer with a keen eye for neat touches & fine detail.

Jennifer Kent

Another Canuck! This one operating out of Australia, though. If you haven’t seen The Babadook, ohhhh boy, are you in for a ride. A horror film so psychologically intense, I had to stop it for twenty minutes at one point. Her latest film, The Nightingale, is an historical drama set in 1825 Tasmania, & be forewarned - this is a fairly compelling but sickeningly brutal affair.

Alex Garland

He’s currently busy with TV, but Alex Garland has so far given us Ex_Machina & Annihilation, & while I feel like the former was a tad over-rated, it’s as clear as day this guy has a brilliant, all-time film just waiting to burst forth from his conscience.

Who’re you watching?

mongoose

Coach
he's got 5 or 6 movies under his belt now but Denis Villeneuve is quality - Sicario, Bladerunner 2049, Arrival, Prisoners. Dune coming out this year (or maybe next)

Jordan Peele Is one to look out for who made Get Out and Us, although I didn't like Us that much.

Ari Aster who made Hereditary and Midsommar, once again I didn't rate Midsommar highly as some.

he's got 5 or 6 movies under his belt now but Denis Villeneuve is quality - Sicario, Bladerunner 2049, Arrival, Prisoners. Dune coming out this year (or maybe next)

Jordan Peele Is one to look out for who made Get Out and Us, although I didn't like Us that much.

Ari Aster who made Hereditary and Midsommar, once again I didn't rate Midsommar highly as some.

Villeneuve is my favourite director working currently, but I’d say he’s too proven for this list. 2049 is, for mine, the best movie of the 21st Century.

Us & Midsommar were fairly poor efforts, but given how popular Get Out was (I didn’t catch it), & how disturbing Hereditary was, those are directors with a lot of potential who’re still learning.