What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Directors to pursue legal challenge against NRL

voltron

Juniors
ROSS STEVENSON: Comes from this morning's Rumour File when I was able to tell you that after speaking to some people in legal circles yesterday, it's come to my attention - Rumour As Fact I believe - that emminent Melbourne QC Allan Myers has advised the Melbourne Storm board that procedural fairness was not accorded to them when the NRL made its adjudications (in stripping two NRL premierships from the club and not allowing the team to win points this season).
Accordingly, the NRL acted outside its own rules and Allan Myers QC is going to draw a writ on behalf of the Melbourne Storm against the NRL which will be issued in the next 24 hours.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-generic-blog/melbourne-storm-to-sue-the-nrl/20100513-uypd.html

there's a video on the site too

this is kind of sad that theyre going to these lengths afterall

Godz Illa

Coach
The Storm chairman and Storm owner would both look pretty funny filing this suit after sitting alongside Gallop as this adjudication was announced and fully accepting the punishment

Fein

First Grade
If they proceed with this, they should be expelled from the competition with their file marked "never to return".

Paullyboy

Coach
Lawyers. What good have they ever brought to society?

People accept their punishment, then a lawyer comes in and tells you there may be a loophole and you can get away with acting illegally, and all of a sudden people decide not to accept their punishment.

They are the filth of society.

gronkathon

First Grade
The Conversation.

QC. I think you have a course of action in this matter with the NRL

Storm: What are our chances of success.

QC: I am sorry but for me to answer that you are required to pay a $10,000 retainer

Noa

First Grade
The 4 independant directors are the ones looking at the challenge, NEWs have said they are free to do so at there own cost.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Lawyers. What good have they ever brought to society?

People accept their punishment, then a lawyer comes in and tells you there may be a loophole and you can get away with acting illegally, and all of a sudden people decide not to accept their punishment.

They are the filth of society.

Sadly this is true, but chuck in the idiots who keep making new rules and regulations for these idiots to find loopholes in. This country is getting so over regulated we're all going to need lawyers just to cross the f**king street.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The Conversation.

QC. I think you have a course of action in this matter with the NRL

Storm: What are our chances of success.

QC: I am sorry but for me to answer that you are required to pay a $10,000 retainer

Forget a 10k retainer, the longer he can prod at the Storm for them to take legal action the more he gets his name in the paper. Can't put a price on free advertisement in the national papers.

Noa

First Grade
10K, you guys obviously dont know who Alan Meyers is. The Andrew Johns of the legal profession would be the best way to desrcibe him. It costs 10k just to get his phone number.

gronkathon

First Grade
10K, you guys obviously dont know who Alan Meyers is. The Andrew Johns of the legal profession would be the best way to desrcibe him. It costs 10k just to get his phone number.

Oh I do. The 10k for one question answered without any serious reporting should indicate that.

This is a tactical manouvre designed to place pressure on NRL/News.

If there is a technical breach of governance it still wont change the end game.