What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Directors to pursue legal challenge against NRL

Mickyd39

Juniors
What a disgrace!

They cheat, get caught,claim they have been treated unfairly. What a bunch of scumbags. Scumbags = Directors, coaches, players, fans.

I think the NRL should get even tougher and stop the Storm from playing as of this weekend until the matter has finished in court.

I hope News Ltd stick to their word and sack those twats.

This club has done nothing for Rugby League.

Fu*k em, kick them out.

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
So you're not prepared to pass judgement on player involvement in the Storm scandal until you get proof but you are prepared to pass judgement on ALL other clubs even though you have no proof.

Your arguement is full of holes mate. Might be time to sit back and reassess your thoughts on the entire situation before you post again.

I don't need to reassess my position. I've had 3 weeks to think about it.

What I have noticed in here is that a lot of people are pointing the finger at certain players (Slater) out of nothing more than the fact that they don't like this person or that so automatically certain individuals are all tarred with the same brush.

The players have my full support but if any of them are found to have been in on it, only then will I pass judgement on them. Right now my anger is with the culprits who have been identified eg Waldron, Hanson etc. All I have heard since is "the players knew". How do we know that? If any of them are found to have played a part in this and are proven guilty I'll form an opinion of them then. I've been betrayed by an administration that was supposed to represent the best interests of the club I am a paid up member of ; how do you think I'll react if any of the players are found to have betrayed their duty to their fans (and all RL fans for that matter) to provide a fair contest on a weekly basis.

If a player was to disgrace your club, I doubt you'd take kindly to it.

As for "passing judgement" on other players and clubs; I am simply stating my opinion that every club with the exception of 2 or 3 (Sharks, Canberra and possibly Newcastle) is working outside of the cap. Let's face it, clubs are given a ridiculously small amount of money to pay players with yet we expect them to stay with this club or that out of "loyalty. I reckon there are a few CEOs unhappy with the current system and aren't adverse to the so called "brown paper bag" culture. Of course I can't prove it, but it's my opinion that all clubs bar 2 or 3 do it. It's easier enough for me to point the finger as it's my team that was caught but if this had happened to any other team can guarantee you I'd be saying the same thing; every club operates outside of the cap. If you don't like it, contact your club and tell them there's a naughty boy on the internet who, oh no, has an opinion about salary cap cheating. Let them sue me.

Anyone who says all clubs are squeeky clean are kidding themselves. If any good comes out of this whole mess it's that there will be a lot of adminsistrators at other clubs rushing to get their affairs in order.

Again, I'm not a great advocate of this legal mess going ahead... as I stated earlier in the thread, what defense can we possibly have against "we blatantly cheated"?

bileduct

Coach
The entire board and executive management team needs to be deconstructured and re-engineered to a business model that supports conscionable business practices rather than one that tries to convey a woe-was-me attitude to their inability to keep a straight face while farting on the books and ethics of their own club.
++good

the one good thing about this challenge is that brian waldron will be one of the first witnesses called to testify in open court i cant wait to hear what he has to say for himself :D

Mickyd39

Juniors
the one good thing about this challenge is that brian waldron will be one of the first witnesses called to testify in open court i cant wait to hear what he has to say for himself :D

i hope he names everyone involved. I'm sure some players and players agents will be shi*ting their pants about this court action.

Jesus Holy Christ, won't the 'legalists' and the 'fraudsters' keel over and die already. This week we have some real good clashes including the Broncos-Titans, Sea Eagles-Eels, and in a couple of weeks we have Origin, yet the main state of play seems to be with some of the maggot directors crying wolf and some of the estranged Storm fans who don't have the foggiest as to what our code really is about crying foul because their own club defrauded the system and committed statutory perjury.

This is not addressed to the likes of kia ora storm who understand why this has all come to be, and have copped it on the chin. This is for the parasites who selfishly hold onto the hold that their disgraceful cheating is going to be in some way shape or form vindicated. The action being taken is pathetic, particularly given one of the fat cats who is mounting it, one Dr Rob Moodie, sat in at the Press Conference and said the acts of the club were harrowing for the code, showed gross misconduct, and that the club had accepted it needed to be penalised in such a way. He even offered to tender his resignation, for as the Chairman of the Board, one would hope you would have an idea as to what your Executive Management team is conducting. I find it very hard to believe that a Board, who are charged with ensuring corporate governance and ethics, and financial performance, who are privy to, and are actually legally bound to under the Corporations Act (Cth) to see the books, understand the books, and how the financial aspects of the business are conducted. If that is the case, I find it extraordinarily hard to believe these pillocks knew not what was going on in the first place, which makes their stance as fraudsters, even more mind boggling.

The entire board and executive management team needs to be deconstructured and re-engineered to a business model that supports conscionable business practices rather than one that tries to convey a woe-was-me attitude to their inability to keep a straight face while farting on the books and ethics of their own club.

Amen...could not have summed it up better TBH.

The club needs to start again...it is not going to happen through a protracted legal hearing that will not sit well with all at the club.

The club needs to knuckle down and start putting the structure, playing roster, strategic plan etc in place for 2011.

Forget 2010 and prior...it is next year that matters.

Jesus Holy Christ, won't the 'legalists' and the 'fraudsters' keel over and die already. This week we have some real good clashes including the Broncos-Titans, Sea Eagles-Eels, and in a couple of weeks we have Origin, yet the main state of play seems to be with some of the maggot directors crying wolf and some of the estranged Storm fans who don't have the foggiest as to what our code really is about crying foul because their own club defrauded the system and committed statutory perjury.

This is not addressed to the likes of kia ora storm who understand why this has all come to be, and have copped it on the chin. This is for the parasites who selfishly hold onto the hold that their disgraceful cheating is going to be in some way shape or form vindicated. The action being taken is pathetic, particularly given one of the fat cats who is mounting it, one Dr Rob Moodie, sat in at the Press Conference and said the acts of the club were harrowing for the code, showed gross misconduct, and that the club had accepted it needed to be penalised in such a way. He even offered to tender his resignation, for as the Chairman of the Board, one would hope you would have an idea as to what your Executive Management team is conducting. I find it very hard to believe that a Board, who are charged with ensuring corporate governance and ethics, and financial performance, who are privy to, and are actually legally bound to under the Corporations Act (Cth) to see the books, understand the books, and how the financial aspects of the business are conducted. If that is the case, I find it extraordinarily hard to believe these pillocks knew not what was going on in the first place, which makes their stance as fraudsters, even more mind boggling.

Nailed it !!

Amen...could not have summed it up better TBH.

The club needs to start again...it is not going to happen through a protracted legal hearing that will not sit well with all at the club.

The club needs to knuckle down and start putting the structure, playing roster, strategic plan etc in place for 2011.

Forget 2010 and prior...it is next year that matters.
but it seems some people involved wont

Weidler was alleging tonight a new scam where the Storm put money into a charity who then paid four Storm players $25k each. Players named (only Inglis & Cronk from the big four).

Fui!!!

Juniors

Cammo

Bench
If I recall correctly, The Bulldogs were issued with a Breach Notice, and then were given time to seek legal advice and determine some courses of action. The penalty was handed down a fair bit after the breach notice was issued in that case.

I think this is what The Storm are arguing against, that they were not afforded this right, and to be honest, they weren't. The fact of / and extent of their rort is not in question. What is in question is the rights of the club to seek legal advice before sentencing. The same is true if someone is charged with a crime, they have the right to a lawyer and the right to talk to them before the trial and before sentencing.

The Storm believe they were not afforded that right, and if true then the NRL do have a case to answer for.

I would hope the penalty doesn't change as I think it is fair enough, but I also hope the NRL get the message that they can't just sentence clubs without giving them their right to legal representation and right of reply. No organisation should be allowed to just throw out sentences as it so pleases without going through proper processes first.

seaeagle sam

If I recall correctly, The Bulldogs were issued with a Breach Notice, and then were given time to seek legal advice and determine some courses of action. The penalty was handed down a fair bit after the breach notice was issued in that case.

I think this is what The Storm are arguing against, that they were not afforded this right, and to be honest, they weren't. The fact of / and extent of their rort is not in question. What is in question is the rights of the club to seek legal advice before sentencing. The same is true if someone is charged with a crime, they have the right to a lawyer and the right to talk to them before the trial and before sentencing.

The Storm believe they were not afforded that right, and if true then the NRL do have a case to answer for.

I would hope the penalty doesn't change as I think it is fair enough, but I also hope the NRL get the message that they can't just sentence clubs without giving them their right to legal representation and right of reply. No organisation should be allowed to just throw out sentences as it so pleases without going through proper processes first.

I sort of agree with you Cammo. I always thought it was fair enough to hand down punishment like they did, and I still do. But if your memory of how they did it with the Bulldogs is correct then I'd would have had no problems with a breach notice. Still, I think it makes not one iota of difference, the punishment fits the crime. It just now gives the barristers a chance to rake in heaps of cash.

Even though I don't want league to be dragged through the mud with this court case, it should seperate fact from fiction and at least we will know exactly what the Storm directors and certain players did.

seaeagle sam

As for Ribot, I met him enough in my past life (before and after the 'war') to know he was going to be trouble. Nice enough bloke but his ideas were a little Hitler/Himmlerish. He hangs just a fraction to the left of Rupert M.

gronkathon

First Grade

True but I think the big difference is that Melbourne Storm executives went to the NRL, admitted guilt and handed them the smoking gun (the second set of books). They than both publicly and in the meeting with Gallop and co. agreed to accept the penalties in their entirity without coersion, without threats.

To me that follows due process and would do so in any court in the country.

As for Ribot. That cancer should have been cut out of the game long ago. I have no doubt the forensic accounting investigation will find his grubby little fingers in the beginnings of all of this.

And a big thanks to the QRL for nominating Ribot for a board position.

As for players getting paid for coaching clinics. If this is true than they are just utter scum. This shows exactly what kind of people they actually are

stormbati

Bench
True but I think the big difference is that Melbourne Storm executives went to the NRL, admitted guilt and handed them the smoking gun (the second set of books). They than both publicly and in the meeting with Gallop and co. agreed to accept the penalties in their entirity without coersion, without threats.

To me that follows due process and would do so in any court in the country.

As for Ribot. That cancer should have been cut out of the game long ago. I have no doubt the forensic accounting investigation will find his grubby little fingers in the beginnings of all of this.

And a big thanks to the QRL for nominating Ribot for a board position.

As for players getting paid for coaching clinics. If this is true than they are just utter scum. This shows exactly what kind of people they actually are

Just so you know, there is no "second set of books"

gronkathon

First Grade
Sorry. Just substitute books for second set of contracts, underwriting agreements and other paperwork relating to the fraud. Reffered to as Gallop and Hartigan as tantamount to running two sets of books

Latest posts