What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diva: I'm never drinking again"

Scorpio30

Bench
MELBOURNE CUP
Diva: “I’m never drinking again”
by STAFF REPORTERS

873.JPG

"Some of Diva's empties"
After creating history at Flemington yesterday and a “very long night” of celebrations, Makybe Diva has told The Bladder she is proud of her achievement but has decided she will never drink again.

“I’m the only horse to twin three Melbourne Cups. I carried more weight yesterday than any other mare, and I’ve earned nearly $15 million over my career, but it’s all nothing compared to the hangover I have today,” the Diva said this morning.

“I say it now with my hoof on my heart: I’m never drinking again.”

The Diva, trainer Lee Freedman, owner Tony Santic, and jockey Glenn Boss were seen stumbling out of various city bars last night, giving the three finger salute to other revellers after one of the biggest pay days in Australian racing history.

“Tony put his credit card down at each place we went to, and for that I thank him. A history-making mare couldn’t ask for a better owner. But I really didn’t need those Tequila laybacks at The Elephant & Wheelbarrow. Nor did I need those Chivas shots, the beer chasers that followed them, or the six bottles of ‘98 shiraz we had as travellers between the Gin Palace and the Stork Hotel.”

The Diva’s performance at Flemington yesterday has gone straight into Australian folklore. After the win, Lee Freedman, who previously baulked at suggestions the Diva was in the same league as Phar Lap, suggested the mare might even surpass Phar Lap’s legend by saying “he never won three”.

“And if you saw her last night, you’d realise why I made that comparison. She is a stayer in the truest sense of the word. She was going two drinks to our one, and never strayed from the top shelf. She laughed at the first 23 martinis we had, had Chartreuse shots between rounds while she waited for us to catch up, and even got behind the bar at one stage with her winner’s sash tied around her forehead and started mixing her own cocktails. It was a truly awesome display.”

But the Diva says last night’s revelry has come at a cost.

“I woke up this morning with these mystery bruises. My stable looks like homeless people live in it. I think I might have pashed Glenn Boss. I don’t remember getting home and I can’t find my mobile phone. I’ve had 63 panadols this morning, a cold shower and bucket of black coffee and I still feel like I'd rather be dead. So that’s it. Even if I somehow win another three Melbourne Cups, I’m never dinking again.

courtesy "the bladder"
</a>