What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diving

Clifferd

Coach
Great precident the NRL has set as of late.

Paul Gallen takes a dive against the Tigers 2 weeks ago, since then I've seen 2 pathetic dives in a try scoring situation in 2 different games, most recently the DCE one last night

What is going to stop other players from doing the exact same thing now

When will the funk stop and the bunker use common sense ffs

Exsilium

First Grade
The silly thing is that DCE didn't even need to dive to get the same end result.

Players think they've got to draw attention to it otherwise they may not get the opportunity for a referee to take it upstairs.

It's dumb shit either way.

Clifferd

Coach
Elbow to the face? Oh no, elbows are okay after Friday night...

Haha yeah gotta love refs

Player on the ground absolutely helpless, drop the elbow onto his face - penalty

A little slap to the face that missed more than anything - 10 minute sin bin

Too many technical rules - the game needs to be reffed on common sense more than anything

Clifferd

Coach
The silly thing is that DCE didn't even need to dive to get the same end result.

Players think they've got to draw attention to it otherwise they may not get the opportunity for a referee to take it upstairs.

It's dumb shit either way.

My thoughts exactly

But the truth is, if he doesn't take the dive its definitely a try. Same with the Gallen incident

lsta5838

Juniors
how about diving/milking is classed as a 'professional foul' and can result in a sin bin? there may be 1/100 times when the ref get's it wrong (eg it wasn't an actual dive). DCE's one wasn't in the spirit of the game, but he did have to milk it to get them to look at it...

we will still be talking about obstructions in 5 years time...

The_Shield

Juniors
While the diving is bad, their does have to be some responsibility on the attacking team not to touch the defenders. If Woods doesn't touch Gallen, he doesn't dive. If Thaiday doesn't run into DCE, he doesn't dive

Canard

Immortal
Who is the judge on a "dive" though?

That genius Fittler claimed Ray Thompson dived on Thursday night, when he got elbowed in the head and was taken off for a HIA??

Pommy

Coach

Player on the ground absolutely helpless, drop the elbow onto his face - penalty

Too many technical rules - the game needs to be reffed on common sense more than anything

Its not down to the refs though the rule is clear.
I'm not excusing Farah but what would you have the ref do bin people for being clumsy? (Not saying Farah was in this case)
If you don't want to be sent off for ten don't punch someone the rule is pretty clear the fact it was a shit punch doesn't really come in to it. You don't accidentally punch someone.
It shouldn't have been banned but that's another issue.

Clifferd

Coach
Its not down to the refs though the rule is clear.
I'm not excusing Farah but what would you have the ref do bin people for being clumsy? (Not saying Farah was in this case)
If you don't want to be sent off for ten don't punch someone the rule is pretty clear the fact it was a shit punch doesn't really come in to it. You don't accidentally punch someone.
It shouldn't have been banned but that's another issue.

Common sense/intent is the main vocal point

I saw more intent in farahs elbow than I saw in Ava's little punch. He looked like he just had a quick 1 second brain snap and was instantly apologetic

Maloney on Tedesco which took him out of the game for 50 minutes as a result of foul play

Clifferd

Coach
While the diving is bad, their does have to be some responsibility on the attacking team not to touch the defenders. If Woods doesn't touch Gallen, he doesn't dive. If Thaiday doesn't run into DCE, he doesn't dive

Or you can just play the game fairly and not cheat

Pommy

Coach
Common sense/intent is the main vocal point

I saw more intent in farahs elbow than I saw in Ava's little punch. He looked like he just had a quick 1 second brain snap and was instantly apologetic

Maloney on Tedesco which took him out of the game for 50 minutes as a result of foul play

If your going to have a rule against punching then it has to be black and white. The last thing the game needs is another rule with grey areas and for fans to be scrutinising referees decisions on what was or wasn't a real punch. Because you can guarantee some Broncos player would break an opponents jaw and stay on the pitch.

Front-Rower

First Grade

It's a joke. The way to stop diving is to actually hurt them. I don't condone violence though blokes need to give them a good reason to hit the ground and not get up.

Clifferd

Coach
If your going to have a rule against punching then it has to be black and white. The last thing the game needs is another rule with grey areas and for fans to be scrutinising referees decisions on what was or wasn't a real punch. Because you can guarantee some Broncos player would break an opponents jaw and stay on the pitch.

I just think it's a very simple game with too many of these so called rules. We make it so complicated