What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divisional Cups

docbrown

Coach
I think we should have an IMPROVING RUGBY LEAGUE sub forum just for general ideas etc.

I'm going to put this one in here though as it does revolve around expansion teams to some degree.

Because we have a single competition ladder we have no divisional play in rugby league. Whilst we have Cup matches between 2 teams we do not have miniature competitions within the NRL season proper.

I have suggested before that there should be a WESTERN SYDNEY CUP featuring the 4 local teams guaranteed to play home and away. It would be an effective marketing tool and not only would fans watch their own club's games, as other matches have a bearing on the final result, they would be inclined to watch other games within the miniature competition.

It requires no additional games to be played and can be easily accomodated within the NRL's schedule.

But I think the idea can be expanded further. There are 5 clear divisions within the NRL proper - QUEENSLAND TEAMS, WESTERN SYDNEY TEAMS, EASTERN SYDNEY TEAMS, REGIONAL NSW TEAMS & SOUTHERN TEAMS.

I suggest we introduce 5 cups to reflect this with the final matches to be played out over Rounds 19-23. This would give the competition a major boost in the run to the finals in a period that traditionally lags in crowd attendance post Origin. Teams that might be struggling in the overall competition may have a chance at a piece of silverware. It also builds its own headlines - it would effectively become 5 mini grand finals spread over roughly 4 weeks. The more people invest in the concept the stronger it will become.

So here's the breakdown -

Western Sydney Cup
- Parramatta Eels/Canterbury Bulldogs/Penrith Panthers/Wests Tigers
- All play each other home and away during the regular NRL season – i.e. 12 matches
- The first week (approximately round 4) & last week (approximately round 23) would each feature 2 Western Sydney Cup games in that round. The other 8 games would be spread in between. Games would be scheduled to avoid rep commitments.
- The last week of the cup would feature a festival of rugby league at Stadium Australia with local lower tier Western Sydney team games, skills sessions and player meet and greets
- The team with the best aggregate record against the other 3 teams over 6 games is declared the winner

Queensland Cup
- Brisbane Broncos/Gold Coast Titans/North Queensland Cowboys & any other Queensland expansion team
- All play each other home and away during the regular NRL season – currently with 3 teams this would feature 6 matches but would go to 12 with expansion. Games would be scheduled to avoid rep commitments.
- Games would be spread out across the year with the final game around Round 22 at Suncorp Stadium. Likewise this would feature a festival of rugby league with local lower tier Queensland team games, skills sessions and player meet greets
- The team with the best aggregate record against the others is declared the winner

Eastern Sydney Cup
- South Sydney Rabbitohs/St George Illawarra Dragons/Sydney Roosters/Cronulla Sharks – and perhaps Manly Warringan until the Coastal Cup is formed
- All play each other home and away during the regular NRL season – i.e. 12 matches. Games would be scheduled to avoid rep commitments.
- The last week of the cup would feature a festival of rugby league at Stadium Australia with local lower tier Eastern Sydney team games, skills sessions and player meet and greets
- The team with the best aggregate record against the other 3 teams over 6 games is declared the winner

Coastal Cup
- Newcastle Knights/Manly Warringan Sea Eagles/Central Coast Bears
- All play each other home and away during the regular NRL season – 6 matches
- Games would be spread out across the year with the final game around Round 20 and alternating between the 3 stadiums
- The team with the best aggregate record against the others is declared the winner

Southern Cup
- Melbourne Storm/New Zealand Warriors/Canberra Raiders/and perhaps Perth Reds
- All play each other home and away during the regular NRL season – 6 matches
- Games would be spread out across the year with the final game around Round 20 and alternating between the 3 stadiums

I would start with the three obvious and strongest ones - WESTERN SYDNEY CUP, QUEENSLAND CUP & EASTERN SYDNEY CUP - and go from there. Any individual cups between traditional rivals can be maintain and fought over during the larger divisional cup tournament. Games that might draw little attention - like Roosters vs Sharks - could be boosted if the title is on the line.

Another possible make up would be KNIGHTS/DRAGONS/RAIDERS & BEARS in a NSW Country Cup. Manly would go into the Eastern Sydney Cup and Perth-Storm-Warriors would play in a Southern Cup. That said - there's no reason why there still couldn't be a NSW COUNTRY CUP as well as a COASTAL CUP - just as long as teams play each other twice.

There could be other cups with different make ups that could likewise culminate during this period of the overall competition.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Almost burst out laughing in silent office when I saw Manly Warringan :lol: but good idea. Anything that encourages local derbies is good by me

docbrown

Coach
Well say for instance there were a NSW COUNTRY CUP featuring Raiders, Bears, Knights & Dragons.

At the moment there's a Knights/Dragons rivalry. But say if the Raiders were to beat the Knights one year and win the cup, you'd see a new rivalry emerge that might not have had the chance before.

Teams that currently have no tension could become mortal enemies. And teams that do only build it bigger.

Last edited:

Haffa

I like the idea. Also gives Souths a chance to finish in the Top 4.

Ideas like this are going to have to see an entire generation of Rugby League Hierachy to die before getting off the ground though.

Panfas

Juniors
This has to happen, take note NRL!

EAST SYDNEY CUP
Souths
Roosters
Manly
Sharks

WEST SYDNEY CUP
Parramatta
Penrith
Tigers