What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do coaches make a difference

Incorrect

Coach
What's the go woth Bellamy anyway - when does his current deal expire?

Wasn't he talking a few years back about giving it away soon-ish but the Storm managed to talk him around to re-sign?

I can see him finishing up with the Storm around the same time as Smith. I reckon he'll go in to a director type position like Gould somewhere eventually.

STORM.99/07

Bench
What's the go woth Bellamy anyway - when does his current deal expire?

Wasn't he talking a few years back about giving it away soon-ish but the Storm managed to talk him around to re-sign?

I can see him finishing up with the Storm around the same time as Smith. I reckon he'll go in to a director type position like Gould somewhere eventually.
Bellamy asked the players if they wanted a new coach as he thought they might think they needed new ideas.They all voted to keep Craig.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
nobody in 12 yrs has been able to coach nsw well. Methinks its the players lack of skill instead of coaches fault.
That was pretty much my point. I didn't say it was Bellamy's fault.

I pointed out that he's had the luxury of having 3 extremely good players form his team spine for over a decade. It's integral to his reputation as a super coach, and something I severely doubt he will test himself without.

There's no shame in that, so calm yourself and don't get defensive.

King hit

Coach
Of course coaches make a difference this is just ridiculous. Just remember how good Jamie Soward was in 2009-11 under Wayne Bennett. He was killing it at five eight, was a premiership winner, Origin player and one of the best five eighths around. He never looked as good as he was without Bennett. Hinchcliffe was also unlucky not to play Origin under Bellamy.

Can think of many other examples

STORM.99/07

Bench
That was pretty much my point. I didn't say it was Bellamy's fault.

I pointed out that he's had the luxury of having 3 extremely good players form his team spine for over a decade. It's integral to his reputation as a super coach, and something I severely doubt he will test himself without.

There's no shame in that, so calm yourself and don't get defensive.
not defensive. I was just stating an opinion. I think nsw need a coach like Bellamy but would the players buy into Bellamy`s work ethic?/

Nightward

Juniors
We'll never know. Salary cap breaches will do that...

Well, we do know that nobody got the same from Israel Folau or Greg Inglis after they left Bellamy's tutelage, and considering how good they looked at the Storm I think that says something.

People often like to point at Bellamy and Bennett and say they had an easy ride because there were great players on their team. But they aren't great players to begin with and the good coaches make complete turnips like Soward look world-class by structuring play around the strengths of the team and the players who make the team up.

This being said I think it is a fair point to say that sometimes things that aren't the coach's fault are attributed to them. Teams like the Cowboys and Titans are coach-killers because too many of the players at various times have had more sway with the club than the coach and just can't be stuffed to put in at training, much less on the field. Coaches can only do so much to get buy-in and if players don't want to do their job they can be quite intractable.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I thought you would appreciate hard work would make a good player not just money look at corruptamatta... they cheated for a few years and were still duds... dogs cheated but they were`nt consistent.
I'm not denying that hard work improves good players.

I'm pointing out that you, like many storm fans, seem to operate under the idea that the storm made cronk, Slater and Smith into the players they are today.

The truth of it is the reverse.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Well, we do know that nobody got the same from Israel Folau or Greg Inglis after they left Bellamy's tutelage, and considering how good they looked at the Storm I think that says something.

People often like to point at Bellamy and Bennett and say they had an easy ride because there were great players on their team.

Funny, that.

Nightward

Juniors
Funny, that.

Bellamy's still the one ultimately responsible for identifying the best players he had and developing their ability. They didn't randomly show up at Storm training one day ready to wear maroon or green and gold.

You also quite deliberately ignored my point about how sharp a decline Inglis and Folau had at other clubs.

STORM.99/07

Bench
I'm not denying that hard work improves good players.

I'm pointing out that you, like many storm fans, seem to operate under the idea that the storm made cronk, Slater and Smith into the players they are today.

The truth of it is the reverse.
when Bellamy first went to Storm he thought Cam Smith wasn`t putting in enough effort and said it was up to him to determine if he wanted to work hard and be a better player. I think they all wanted to be successful so they were willing to work hard consistently over the years.