What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do coaches make a difference

Grapple

Bench
I'm not denying that hard work improves good players.

I'm pointing out that you, like many storm fans, seem to operate under the idea that the storm made cronk, Slater and Smith into the players they are today.

The truth of it is the reverse.

We know those guys had raw talent. We also know they work hard. But the fact is most players get better developed in their system and less so when they leave. It's obvious to me their overall club or system is the biggest factor that contributes to their success, you can see this by the next generation of players coming through. Just the simple fact players like Munster and Croft are so level headed shows you what's right. Not to mention the fact they have a stable leadership in their team and have consistently.

STORM.99/07

Bench
We know those guys had raw talent. We also know they work hard. But the fact is most players get better developed in their system and less so when they leave. It's obvious to me their overall club or system is the biggest factor that contributes to their success, you can see this by the next generation of players coming through. Just the simple fact players like Munster and Croft are so level headed shows you what's right. Not to mention the fact they have a stable leadership in their team and have consistently.
This.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
If Bellamy continues to coach the storm and maintain the winning record he currently has, I'll concede the point.

Until then, it's a matter of wait and see. Get as defensive as you like, that's just the way it is.

Nightward

Juniors
If Bellamy continues to coach the storm and maintain the winning record he currently has, I'll concede the point.

Until then, it's a matter of wait and see. Get as defensive as you like, that's just the way it is.

And at that point will you admit he had a role in shaping Munster, Jack and the rest into top-class players and giving them a winning game plan or will his track record still be down to "he had rep players lol."

Great coaches develop great players and make mediocre ones look good.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
And at that point will you admit he had a role in shaping Munster, Jack and the rest into top-class players and giving them a winning game plan or will his track record still be down to "he had rep players lol."

Great coaches develop great players and make mediocre ones look good.
So do other great players. I didn't deny he's done a very good job, but the question remains: how will he go is he continues to coach after cronk, Slater and Smith have retired.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I thought you would appreciate hard work would make a good player not just money look at corruptamatta... they cheated for a few years and were still duds... dogs cheated but they were`nt consistent.
The club cheated to be competitive again you dolt, and look at us now. After our premiership window closed 2009 and the cap did it's work by 2011/12 we had the weakest Eels teams in nearly two decades. I don't like that my club cheated but they felt it was the only way they could get our club back to being a contender with how the cap is set up with all the BS TPA advantages for a chosen few.
Your mob cheated to stay at the top and got caught, and are still profiting from paying over for 5 years to 3 of the greatest players of their generation. Until they go your team is still profiting......

Bellamy will go as soon as Cameron goes and he won't risk his reputation at another club so we will never really know how great a coach he really is. It's the reason Jack Gibson is the greatest coach of all time, he went out of his way to help struggling clubs and was still successful unlike blokes like Bellamy and Bennett who refuse to leave their safety bubble.

Nightward

Juniors
So do other great players. I didn't deny he's done a very good job, but the question remains: how will he go is he continues to coach after cronk, Slater and Smith have retired.

Ah.

So the answer will be that he's just riding Jack, Munster, Chambers, and Vunavalu are making him look good then.

Latest posts