What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do the Eels still scare anyone?

Kipper

Juniors
I know they're plagued by injuries at the moment, but it's something I still wonder about. In recent times I can't think of another 'what the hell happened?' mystery quite like it in any of the sports I follow, perhaps outside of golfer David Duval.

The Eels will always be the side that springs to mind when I think of the comp of 2001. I know whose name is on the trophy, but still. The strange thing is a lot of those names are still in blue and gold colours, so should we be fearing an imminent return? Or are they officially gone for any of the following reasons...

1) That GF loss finally broke Brian Smith as a coach.
2) The Eels were very successful because they had the players to best exploit the style of the time. Thanks to teams like the Roosters the game has now moved on.
3) For no particular on-field reason, the Eels are just a 'phase' club. They were a dud very soon after their golden days, now they're nearing full circle.

Perhaps you have your own theories. Onto Saturday's game...

Battle on Paper:

(Bold = 2 pts., no bold = 1 pt. each.)

Hodgson v. Webb
Graham v. Fa'afili
Lyon v. Anderson
Vaealiki v. Mellars
Peterson v. Meli
Morris v. Tony
Witt v. Jones
Heckenburg v. Seuseu
Hopkins v. Marsh
Vella v. Tookey
Treacy v. Swann
Widders v. Koopu
Wagon v. Betham

Benches -
Forwards: Warriors
Backs: tie

Eels 14 Warriors 16

Even if the Warriors' form is waxing again, this one isn't in the bag by any means. Either I've over-rated a lot of Eels by not watching them lately, or beating a second-from-bottom side has never looked a much tougher assignment.

Cheers,
Kipper

kaon

Juniors
The Eels just have no depth. Because of the their form in 2001 they spent a huge chuck of their cap on a few select players and had to release some very good ones. All these "select" players are injured and the ordinary have had to take their place.

The Eels wouldn't be a great side with everyone on deck but they would make the top 8.

Tip: Warriors 20 Eels 10

legend

Coach
The only side scared of the Eels is the Eels.

They are suffering because they payed duds like Vella and Dykes close to 300k per year and have had little or no return.

Cayless is another one whose career is on the wane IMO. Parra need to rebuild their side around a select few players and they are Hindmarsh, Lyon, Witt and Morris. The rest are expendable and most if not all do not deserve to be in first grade with any side.