What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do trials count for a lot ?

Belta

Juniors
Agree it's important for our spine to build early combinations, especially with the timing of the World Cup meaning a few newbies only just joined the training group. I wouldn't be surprised if Hunt and Graham in particular get a lot of time in both games.

There has been much talk about Leilua so hopefully he'll get an early opportunity to impress, the same for Field and Lomax, and as mentioned other fringe players like Herbert, Garrick, Robson (if they can, possibly Marsters, Sailor). Hopefully we see a mix of both, that is working on early combinations and game time and experience for the possible and probables

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The more i think about this the more i believe they should, however, in our case they dont. A couple of posters have already mentioned that McGregor has already team listed his top 17 and I agree with that.
For mine, the trias are only used in some way to justify non-selection by giving players 10 mins or so (or even less) and then saying they didnt show enough.
Trials are a worry for me in any case as the risk of injury is far greater during this time.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Results would not really count but what does is fitness. The only thing to really hope for is that there is no long term injuries out of these games to key players. That is what counts in the end. How many times have we seen key players ruled out for the season because of these games.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I don't think trials should count for a lot. But I certainly believe that they should count for something. For this season there could be match-offs to determine some positions. For example Mann vs Aitken for a centre spot. Mann vs Nighty or Nene for a wing spot. With there being 2 games this could be done by giving each player one full game or alternately splitting each game in half and swapping the players around. Or having a look at a young gun on the wing. With positive pre-season news on Luc, there should be a genuine opportunity for him to show what he can do. How does he compare to Host and Sele? I would suggest Nicholls should be given a run at dummy half and at half to give an indication of what he can do at NRL level should injuries/SOO selections require his selection later. What should be the pecking order amongst the young backs Herbert, Lomax, Garrett? What difference has bulking up a bit done for Jai Field's game.

But as many posters have noted, Mary will have largely made up his mind and sealed it with Bondcrete. If he can't drop players after half a season of ordinary form then it is highly unlikely that he will be moved by an impressive 30 minutes in a trial.

My belief is that little by little our roster has been improving year by year with disappointingly little impact on our results. With the addition of Hunt and Graham (remembering Packer played very little part in the poor form in the latter half of last season) and contributions from the emerging young talent we have the chance for a much more improved performance. But we cannot ignore what modern colloquial language refers to as "the elephant in the room", namely the Head Coach. I would be looking forward to this season with much more enthusiasm had Mary resumed his rightful position as water boy and a professional, experienced coach been drafted in. I just hope a quality half back will make a huge difference and that Graham will emerge as the quasi captain-coach with Mary free to concentrate on giving us the usual guffaws as he turns in Trump-like performances at Press Conferences.

Walpole

Juniors
They certainly should count for something or what's the point of having them. Our starting forward pack is pretty much established so the likes of Graham, Vaughan, Frizell etc. should be given enough of a run to blow off the cobwebs. One backrow spot is up for grabs so I'd like to see Host and Leilua given a good go, and Sims if they're thinking of starting him. Dufty should be playing at least 60 mins in each game to give him a good chance to be ready for the start of the comp and Hunt, Widdop and McInnes should be given enough time to start developing some combinations. For me I'd like to see Mann given a good shot at one centre spot and Lomax tried on the wing, for at least 40 minutes in each game, none of this five minutes here and there rubbish that seems to go on. Whether any of this happens remains to be seen.

Old Timer

Coach
They certainly should count for something or what's the point of having them. Our starting forward pack is pretty much established so the likes of Graham, Vaughan, Frizell etc. should be given enough of a run to blow off the cobwebs. One backrow spot is up for grabs so I'd like to see Host and Leilua given a good go, and Sims if they're thinking of starting him. Dufty should be playing at least 60 mins in each game to give him a good chance to be ready for the start of the comp and Hunt, Widdop and McInnes should be given enough time to start developing some combinations. For me I'd like to see Mann given a good shot at one centre spot and Lomax tried on the wing, for at least 40 minutes in each game, none of this five minutes here and there rubbish that seems to go on. Whether any of this happens remains to be seen.
Good post Walpole and very much along the lines I was thinking.
The forwards are nearly settled as is the halves and ultimately the spine with the only possible question being FB but in reality that should be a given for Dufty until such time as he forfeits the position.
The things we need to see IMO are
  • Mann in the centres, wing and possibly FB
  • All the young backs in contention for wing or centre spots this year to get a minimum of 20 minutes minutes game time. Hard love says if they are not really in contention no need to trial them so in reality it may be just 3 of them.
  • Leilua and Lawrie and possibly Kerr to get 30 - 40 minutes minimum in each game. The key positions are taken so they are the next in line and deserve every chance to force their way in.
  • Host to be used as the starting left backrower and given a fair shot at cementing the position. (I believe Sims is far better value off the bench)
  • Graham to have time on the field with all the young forwards.
  • Hunt and Widdop to play every possible minute of the trials.
  • No need for Latimore, Allgood or Nicholls to get any substantial game time as they were purchased as "depth players".
  • The positions most in question have been outlined many times so the wing and centre positions need to be contested fiercely by all potential players to get the correct outcome for the team.

Walpole

Juniors
The forwards are nearly settled as is the halves and ultimately the spine with the only possible question being FB but in reality that should be a given for Dufty until such time as he forfeits the position.
  • All the young backs in contention for wing or centre spots this year to get a minimum of 20 minutes minutes game time. Hard love says if they are not really in contention no need to trial them so in reality it may be just 3 of them.
  • Leilua and Lawrie and possibly Kerr to get 30 - 40 minutes minimum in each game. The key positions are taken so they are the next in line and deserve every chance to force their way in.
  • Host to be used as the starting left backrower and given a fair shot at cementing the position. (I believe Sims is far better value off the bench)
  • No need for Latimore, Allgood or Nicholls to get any substantial game time as they were purchased as "depth players".
  • The positions most in question have been outlined many times so the wing and centre positions need to be contested fiercely by all potential players to get the correct outcome for the team.
Agree with Host as starter and Sims off the bench, particularly to keep the "mongrel" going when Graham has a break. Really like the idea of the young blokes, especially Lawrie, being on the field with Graham, no slacking off while the angry ginger's on the park, even in a trial. I just hope there's a firm plan evident with these games and it's not the shambles of blokes running on and off or changing positions every five minutes.

denis preston

First Grade
The problem with gauging trial form is the disparity in the standard of team you are playing and the conditions. Hard to judge one's form based on a 20 degree night game against a country reserve grade standard side at best against say charity shield or another NRL side in 36 degree temperatures.

BennyV

Referee
Disagree re: Nicholls. If McInnes is to go down, he is the only realistic hooking option and will need a bit of a run.

possm

Coach
Mary would have his mind made up as early as now. Having a proper reserve grade side as a curtain raiser, give both fans and coaches alike the opportunity to see the form of players week by week. I'm convinced if Mary's round 1 team is not up to scratch, there will be enormous pressure placed upon him to make adjustments in the next round. For me trial games should be close to the team we are going to select for round 1:
1. Dufty - if he performs well in the trials fullback is his.
2. Lomax - he should be our left winger during the trials.
3. Lafai - he has played right centre before and may just be the one to plug the defensive holes on the right edge.
4. Mann - outside Widdop and with Lomax outside him, we should see plenty of tries.
5. Macdonald - he will be on trial during these two games; stuff up and back to reserve grade.
6. Widdop.
7. Hunt.
8. Vaughan.
9. McInnes.
10. Graham.
11. Frizell.
12. Host.
13. De Belin.

14. Ah Mau.
15. Sims.
16. Leilua
17. Robson.

If this team goes well, it should be the team selected for round 1.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Trials are a necessary evil provided a coach is prepared to try differing permutations In order to find out what combinations and individuals are worth persevering with.

Fault with McGregor #489.

Old Timer

Coach
Disagree re: Nicholls. If McInnes is to go down, he is the only realistic hooking option and will need a bit of a run.
Yeah probably correct assessment.
All said and done he doesn't need to play that big a minutes though maybe 15 - 20 as I would love to see Mc Innes trying to expand his game.

Walpole

Juniors
A bloke who's never played first grade or hooker is our only "realistic hooking option"?

Old Timer

Coach
A bloke who's never played first grade or hooker is our only "realistic hooking option"?
Evidently according to Mc Fookknuckle you have to be > 25 to be eligible.
Remember year or 2 ago when people said to experiment with Widdop to half to see how he goes, well that would have meant in a pinch Mann to 5/8 and Hunt to hooker but we never bothered to find out if Widdop can play 7.
So can't wait for us to try that at a crucial stage of the season when losses are death to your chances for the 8.

Old Timer

Coach
are you getting a run any time soon?
More chance of me getting a call up than most of the youngsters that are champing at the bit to get a crack at it.
But I know I would have to stand behind Marketo and Mc Crone because they would get an SOS before me or the youngsters so not expecting the phone to ring anytime soon.
By the way when are they going to get you back into proper shape and use you as the game ball as many would love to see how these super duper goal kickers would go with a real pig skin?

possm

Coach
Yeah probably correct assessment.
All said and done he doesn't need to play that big a minutes though maybe 15 - 20 as I would love to see Mc Innes trying to expand his game.
I'd like to see what a McInnes / Robson hooker rotation looks like. I also believe that with only two trials scheduled, the focus should be on testing combinations which involve our two high profile re recruits for season 2018. Combinations between 6 and 7, combinations between 7 and the right edge, and combinatins between 7 and 1. The combinations within the forward pack between new recruit Graham and Host / Leilua, McInnes and Graham and Graham with any one of Dufty, Widdop and Hunt.

There would be more value in testing and practicing the above combinations in readiness for our game 1 game against the Broncos then having a look 10 minute look at fringe first grade players which we know won't change a thing. There will be plenty of time to have a look at these youngsters as they play against men in reserve grade in the early rounds.

Of course the exception would be if there is a particular player in the squad who is killing it in the off-season and the first grade incumbent is having a poor off-season and had a poor end to season 2017.

Old Timer

Coach
Just makes the Havili decision even dumber.
So it beggars the question as to who is deignsted to play 9 and for that matter 7 in reserve grade?
If people like Sele, Lawrie, Kerr, Lomax, Garrick etc are to learn their trade in reserve grade then it must be equally important to provide them with good quality 9 & 7 so the Havilli exit is dumb and maybe the Hutch exit is as well.