Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by hindmarshisgod, May 12, 2018.

?

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. Happy MEel

Happy MEel Bench

Agreed. I’m sure BA is hamstrung to some extent but it’s his job to prepare a footy team for 80 minutes of football each week. With the squad at his disposal, even factoring in the injuries, we should be going a lot better than 2-11.

2. Joshuatheeel

Joshuatheeel Coach

Yeah our attack may have not been the greatest over the last few years, but I suspect that probably has something to do with the amount of spine combinations we have had over the last few years.

Gee even this year we have used 4 fullbacks and 3 hookers.

How many combo’s did we use in 2016? We had Gordon / peats / Robson / Taka / gutho / Foran / IDG / Pritchard / Norman / Kelly used in the spine - that’s a few players.

Last year we looked ok when we had a settled spine for a few games but then we lost Gutherson then French.

Would be interesting to compare how many spine combinations the premiers have used within 2 years of winning the comp.

While I agree Moses / Norman haven’t really worked that well this year, most of our spine issues have come down to injuries.

The 2016 shit storm really f**ked us up big time, our long term spine was looking good with
    1. Gutherson 6. Norman 7. Foran 9. Peats. That’s a bloody good combo but factors out side BA’s control stuffed it all up ( foran’s mental breakdown and salary cap disaster was not BA’s fault).

What other coach has had to deal with what BA has had to deal with?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Joely01 likes this.
  3. emjaycee

emjaycee First Grade

Over the last 4 years, we have averaged between 17% and 24% LESS points FOR, than the minor premiers (who have not always had the best attack). Another way of putting this is that the minor premiers have scored between 23% and 31% MORE points than us. These stats include goal kicking.

And over the same period, have conceded as much as 90% more points than the minor premiers (at best it was 36% in 2017). Apart from 2014 when Souths had better defence than the Roosters (minor premiers), the minor premiers have had the best defence each and every year.

BA has had a focus on defence and has said many times, "once the defence is sorted the attack will come" - seems to me like defence wins more games than attack so he is probably right to focus on sorting our defence.

4. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

Well, yeh, but if you offer f**k all in attack, you are going to have to do a lot more defending in a lot worse field position, against a lot less tired runners. I don't think you can just separate the two aspects of the game so clearly.

Happy MEel likes this.
  5. emjaycee

emjaycee First Grade

Oh I agree, my point was more that the better teams (the minor premiers) all seem to have sorted their defence out first and foremost, which is what BA was concentrating on.
    And to add to your point, if you hold on to the ball, complete your sets and don't give away penalties then you force the other team to defend more against a lot less tired runners.

In other words, strong defence, high completion rates, low errors and good discipline all contribute to winning games - add to these things an effective attack and I would be bold enough to suggest that you might win more games than you loose.

Barry O'Speedwagon likes this.
  6. IFR33K

IFR33K First Grade

No fcking shit!!!

But why’d they wait till 0-6. Lol

7. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Referee

Because they thought we can run on the smell of an oily rag and it was only after a clearly shitful start that they realised that this wasn’t the case.

That said, I’m sure many people (including possibly BA himself) had already highlighted how unsustainable this was prior to us being 0-6.

8. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Referee

Because they thought we can run on the smell of an oily rag and it was only after a clearly shitful start that they realised that this wasn’t the case.

That said, I’m sure many people (including possibly BA himself) had already highlighted how unsustainable this was prior to us being 0-6.

9. Eelogical

Eelogical Bench

FFS, Gary!

FFS, Gary!

10. strider

strider Post Whore

Dam straight .... You can say that again

11. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Referee

F**ken phone.

12. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Referee

F**ken phone.

13. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

The song goes "Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan'.

14. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Referee

Ping @strider....hmmmm.

15. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

DOn't worry @strider I got this one for the double posting, phone-blaming, gentleman.

16. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Referee

I got it. I was too busy shaking my head to explain it.

17. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

Yeh well think yourself lucky it didn't remind me of a Wa Wa Nee song.

18. lingard

lingard First Grade

I might be misreading your post, but it seems to me that, despite BA concentrating on our defence, these efforts have been a dismal failure. Am I wrong?

19. emjaycee

emjaycee First Grade

My original comment came in response to someone posting that our attack was non-existant and therefore BA was a shit coach (paraphrasing). My point was that BA recognises the need to fix defence before worrying about attack, not that I think he has fixed it.

20. hindmarshisgod

hindmarshisgod Juniors

These players are going backwards under Dope Arthur, yet you dopes want to keep him on and waste another year.

Lucky you idiots aren't in charge and it looks highly likely that Athur will be punted this year as sponsors are getting fed up.

Johnny88, T-Boon and El Diablo like this.