What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 51.1%

• Total voters

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The funniest part about the “contracts are meaningless” is that while the commitment of a contract nowadays may be on a performance (or salary cap pressure) basis the actual contract is worth plenty because the player can hold the club to it and if the club wants the player gone the club will have to honour it in one way or another.

Whether that is contributing to the players tenure at another club, the player remaining at said club or paying them to play in feeder teams till they get fed up........there is always a cost to the club wanting rid of said player.

It is an unusual comment considering how often these play out in the media.

Yep!! Contracts definitely can’t just be broken!!

And ask Maloney how he went asking for his contract to be increased or Cody Walker. Or how Gordon couldn’t get the sharks to release him. Even Milford couldn’t break his contract.

Works both ways too. Clubs also benefit!!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Gordon Tallis, Jamie Lyon and SBW agree too
Shit, I'm cornerned so now I will just throw three examples that I don't understand as a smoke bomb to try and salvage any last bit of dignity after making a shit point that very few sensible people agreed with.

Come on, man think....Tallis, Lyon and SBW. Yeah that will work.

Delightfully devilish IFR33K.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep!! Contracts definitely can’t just be broken!!

And ask Maloney how he went asking for his contract to be increased or Cody Walker. Or how Gordon couldn’t get the sharks to release him. Even Milford couldn’t break his contract.

Works both ways too. Clubs also benefit!!
100% correct.

People will cite instances where players appear to have broken their contract but they fail to understand that these are examples of where the club chose not to stand in the way of the player. Players cant just walk away unless the club also agrees to tear up the contract.

Can't believe we still have to educate people after all the good work that @Barry O'Speedwagon has done over the years.

IFR33K

Coach
Shit, I'm cornerned so now I will just throw three examples that I don't understand as a smoke bomb to try and salvage any last bit of dignity after making a shit point that very few sensible people agreed with.

Come on, man think....Tallis, Lyon and SBW. Yeah that will work.

Delightfully devilish IFR33K.

I’m not saying all and any contracts are broken. But if I’m not mistaken, the 3 players I’ve mentioned were contracted with there respective clubs, and they declined to fulfil there contractual obligations. There’s not much the club can do about making them play. However, if the club decides to just stop paying a random player, then that’s a different kettle of fish.

Eelogical

Referee
Virtually five weeks in and it's a two to one vote for BA. It's quite obvious from the poll that most want BA to be our coach going into 2019. Of course, we could wait longer until he gets punted or the poll percentage reflects that he needs to go. When the f**k does this poll get finalised?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I’m not saying all and any contracts are broken. But if I’m not mistaken, the 3 players I’ve mentioned were contracted with there respective clubs, and they declined to fulfil there contractual obligations. There’s not much the club can do about making them play. However, if the club decides to just stop paying a random player, then that’s a different kettle of fish.
FFS!

A contract is in place for the exact reason you are talking about. If a player decides to arsehole a club or vice versa then the contract stipulates the terms and conditions under which this can occur. It is necessary insurance for both the player and the club and is absolutely 100% worth the f**ken paper it is f**ken written on!!!

IFR33K

Coach
FFS!

A contract is in place for the exact reason you are talking about. If a player decides to arsehole a club or vice versa then the contract stipulates the terms and conditions under which this can occur. It is necessary insurance for both the player and the club and is absolutely 100% worth the f**ken paper it is f**ken written on!!!

Ok cool, good to see parra, st George or bulldogs weren’t rissoled by the said players when they failed in their obligations.

Thanks for clarifying.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Ok cool, good to see parra, st George or bulldogs weren’t rissoled by the said players when they failed in their obligations.

Thanks for clarifying.
If a player doesn't want to play for a club what the f**k can they do?

The fact that a contract exists allows both parties to determine the rules and circumstances under which they part ways. Without a contract, a parting of ways is virtually unmanageable.

I repeat what I said earlier. Those three clubs, if they wanted to, could have used the contract to stop those players leaving. But they chose not to because they knew that:

1. The player didn't want to play at the club; and
2. The contract they had in place with the players afforded them the luxury of letting the player go in a manner that was satisfactory to them as a club.

Why aren't you capable of understanding the importance of a contract? It's pretty simple shit.

IFR33K

Coach
If a player doesn't want to play for a club what the f**k can they do?

The fact that a contract exists allows both parties to determine the rules and circumstances under which they part ways. Without a contract, a parting of ways is virtually unmanageable.

I repeat what I said earlier. Those three clubs, if they wanted to, could have used the contract to stop those players leaving. But they chose not to because they knew that:

1. The player didn't want to play at the club; and
2. The contract they had in place with the players afforded them the luxury of letting the player go in a manner that was satisfactory to them as a club.

Why aren't you capable of understanding the importance of a contract? It's pretty simple shit.

Who said I’m failing to understand the importance of a contract? I’m just outlining certain instances where the contract meant sweet f**k all, where players declined to play. I’m sure there’s other instances we don’t have the luxury of hearing about as well.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Who said I’m failing to understand the importance of a contract?
Me.

Are you suggesting that you do understand the importance and that I have unfairly judged you when you said that they "aren't worth the paper they are written on"?

I’m just outlining certain instances where the contract meant sweet f**k all, where players declined to play.
A contract is more than just a commitment to play footy though, isn't it? Otherwise, we'd still be doing handshakes.

Contracts are actually at their most important in instances such as these. I've highlighted this a couple of times. It provides one party protection if the other one wants out.

Is your only beef that players have left clubs early and not honoured their full tenure? Or is there something more substantial that you are trying to say?

I’m sure there’s other instances we don’t have the luxury of hearing about as well.
Instances of what? People leaving? Just like the ones you are describing these will likely be examples of where this has occurred in accordance with the terms and conditions of a contract.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Gordon Tallis, Jamie Lyon and SBW agree too

The club won in all those case, as the player couldn’t just leave:

Ask SBW how much it cost him to get out of his dogs contract, Mundine had to lend him a shitload! The dogs actually got an injunction to prevent him playing French rugby due to there being a contract in place

Lyons wasn’t able to play NRL for a few years, eels only let him play country footy and then in the UK

While Tallis sat out a whole year as the dragons refused to release him.

Those examples show just how much NRL contracts are actually worth, not one of those players were able to break their contract and actually do what they wanted to do!

Obviously they are the rare cases (3 cases out of thousands) and most of the time clubs and player negotiation something.

And with these cases the player was actually happy not to be paid, so they were happy to sit it out. The majority of NRL players wouIdnt be able to do that so they actually play even if they want out but are refused.

Latest posts