What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs & St Merge after Hoppa Jnr

Patorick

Staff member
Wouldn't surprise if some clubs are after Jamil (Will's younger brother) aswell.

Scarves

Juniors
I love a good drama. The Eels have been linked to throwin' cash at everyone. This time last year I was informed that Cooper Cronk was a done Parra Eels deal.

My tip, in two years they'll be 1.3 million under the cap and still in the market while playing hot and cold football. Kearney will be white anted, Fitzgerald back and working in the Chinese Restaurant, and a bronze statue built on the parklands side of the Parra Stadia complex, dedicated to the under rated Greg Drake.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Telegraph yesterday said he actually prefers playing right centre, Matai's position. My Matai moving on theory might not be just me talking out my arse.

jbl31649

Juniors
Very interesting posts coming from the Eels faithful. Even Sterlo wants no part of the Club and thats saying something.

Parramatta est 1947
Premierships: 4
Runners up: 5
Minor Premiers: 5
Wooden Spoon: 10

Manly est 1947
Premierships: 7
Runners up: 10
Minor Premiers: 9
Club World Cup: 1
Wooden Spoon: 0

Heard wooden spoons are really good for stirring that pot of sour grapes you have.:D:D:D

jbl31649

Juniors
Telegraph yesterday said he actually prefers playing right centre, Matai's position. My Matai moving on theory might not be just me talking out my arse.

Problem is we signed Matai last year for another 3. But, Matai is who he is, in 2 months he'll be either suspend from a high tackle again or injuried.

If Hopa can sit tight, he'll be in a GF sooner, then at Para...

zombie jesus

Staff member
Matai is a left centre, ZJ.

Aahh too true, my bad.
Still interesting that they would say he prefers right centre, hadn't heard that anywhere before, maybe they are also talking out their arse, it is the Telegraph after all.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Problem is we signed Matai last year for another 3. But, Matai is who he is, in 2 months he'll be either suspend from a high tackle again or injuried.

If Hopa can sit tight, he'll be in a GF sooner, then at Para...

Contracts mean f**k all these days.
I don't think he would play against Manly, he showed where his loyalties are by staying for less, but he could go to England for big money, especially if he has a Samoan passport to get around the import quota.
If he came to the club wanting to leave for a better offer they probably wouldn't stand in his way, again this is just me making up scenarios.
I certainly don't want him to leave but I would sacrifice him if it meant we could hang on to Hoppa.

Also fair enough on the suspension thing, but without stats to back it up I will say the injury thing is a bit of a myth, goes down in the game but usually keeps going and goes well, I don't think he has missed many games through injury, certainly never regular long stretches like half our back line.

Avenger

Immortal
Very interesting posts coming from the Eels faithful. Even Sterlo wants no part of the Club and thats saying something.

Parramatta est 1947
Premierships: 4
Runners up: 5
Minor Premiers: 5
Wooden Spoon: 10

Manly est 1947
Premierships: 7
Runners up: 10
Minor Premiers: 9
Club World Cup: 1
Wooden Spoon: 0

Heard wooden spoons are really good for stirring that pot of sour grapes you have.:D:D:D

Impressive record by both teams if you ask me. (besides the spoons of course.)

jbl31649

Juniors
Contracts mean f**k all these days.
I don't think he would play against Manly, he showed where his loyalties are by staying for less, but he could go to England for big money, especially if he has a Samoan passport to get around the import quota.
If he came to the club wanting to leave for a better offer they probably wouldn't stand in his way, again this is just me making up scenarios.
I certainly don't want him to leave but I would sacrifice him if it meant we could hang on to Hoppa.

Also fair enough on the suspension thing, but without stats to back it up I will say the injury thing is a bit of a myth, goes down in the game but usually keeps going and goes well, I don't think he has missed many games through injury, certainly never regular long stretches like half our back line.

I'm not saying his injury prone, but he throws his self hard both in attack and defence, which at times as led to lots of shoulder and arm injuries.(They also signed killer l last year too)

With contracts, we won a GF with these 2 and its been my experience that Manly general honour them, also its an advantage having a few kiwi's come SOO time.

It will be hard to keep Hopa, because if we stuck him on the wing (lets face it his better then Wolfman), he'd get bored. I can see for him it either fullback(prefered or centre), that will be the main issue, not so much the money.

Avenger

Yeah your right. Shows just how dominate they where during the 80's

Here is Cronullas record so we can all have a laugh:p:p

Cronulla est 1967
Premierships: 0
Runners up: 3
Minor Premiers: 2
Wooden Spoon: 2

jbl31649

Juniors
Now look at where we would all like to be:

South est 1908
Premierships: 20
Runners up: 13
Minor Premiers: 17
Wooden Spoon: 8

St George est 1908
Premierships: 15
Runners up: 12
Minor Premiers: 15
Wooden Spoon: 3

zombie jesus

Staff member
I'm not saying his injury prone, but he throws his self hard both in attack and defence, which at times as led to lots of shoulder and arm injuries.(They also signed killer l last year too)

With contracts, we won a GF with these 2 and its been my experience that Manly general honour them, also its an advantage having a few kiwi's come SOO time.

It will be hard to keep Hopa, because if we stuck him on the wing (lets face it his better then Wolfman), he'd get bored. I can see for him it either fullback(prefered or centre), that will be the main issue, not so much the money.

That's exactly my point, my thinking is the chances of keeping Hoppa go up plenty by slotting him in to a centre or fullback spot, our chances of winning games go up by having him in one of those spots in the coming years too, Lyon isn't going anywhere, Stewart isn't either. It's just process of elimination that it comes down to Matai, I mentioned a move to the forwards as a possibility earlier too for him shifting out of the centres to make way.

I think Manly should go all out to keep him and offering him a wing spot for the next two years isn't making him the strongest possible offer.

If he does stay and it's with only the guarantee he will probably be on the wing for the next year or two then he is a great, selfless young man and I will love him forever.

In a nutshell, pay him what he's worth and play him where he will benefit the team the most, that isn't on the wing.

jbl31649

Juniors
Wouldn't surprise if some clubs are after Jamil (Will's younger brother) aswell.

If there a bro's coming through, how many? Age's? Positions?

I say this because then we need not worry to much - plus I believe we need to keep Mmmm Buhrer, aswell.

There was a noticeable gap after the "beaver" and I see glimpses of him in Jimmy.

jbl31649

Juniors
That's exactly my point, my thinking is the chances of keeping Hoppa go up plenty by slotting him in to a centre or fullback spot, our chances of winning games go up by having him in one of those spots in the coming years too, Lyon isn't going anywhere, Stewart isn't either. It's just process of elimination that it comes down to Matai, I mentioned a move to the forwards as a possibility earlier too for him shifting out of the centres to make way.

I think Manly should go all out to keep him and offering him a wing spot for the next two years isn't making him the strongest possible offer.

If he does stay and it's with only the guarantee he will probably be on the wing for the next year or two then he is a great, selfless young man and I will love him forever.

In a nutshell, pay him what he's worth and play him where he will benefit the team the most, that isn't on the wing.

It could really benefit him playing some wingman time, aswell. Opens up more opportunity of beong selected for NSW, Aus teams and Manly should put that to him.

Matai could be good at lock and is an actual possibility that I'm sure their exploring it. Make no bones about it they'll do everything to keep him.

Also put the arguement up that since Des has been there, we have made ever finals series, played 2 GF's, won 1. Aside from the Broncos' and Melbourne (excluding salary cap breach), not many other sides can say that.

jbl31649

Juniors
Also something to consider aswell, before Orford left (he was willing to take a huge pay cut), Ben Kennedy was willing to play for $3 a game the year after he left.

It would not surprise me if Kite/King, were willing to do the same if it means another crack at GF.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Ben Kennedy was never willing to play for $3 a game, he signed a $1 contract in case we had an unrealisitic number of forwards go down with injury all at once, more of a joke than anything else.

jbl31649

Juniors
Jamil is the next one through, 16-17 I think, in our SG Ball squad, back rower.

Thats promising. Got the 2nd Row cover for years.

Manly only need remind the young Hopa's, that last time a Hopa left Manly, he decided to become the NRL's proctologist.:lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts